• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, would it be considered rude if I was to bring a suit for a BaoTou tailor to replicate? I would be coming as a first-time customer but also a referral/friend of a regular customer.
definitely, they CANNOT replicate your Tom Ford suit.
they can copy the style and the size, but different cutting.

have your baotou to make measurement for you, they can make good suits.
tell your baotou what you need in the beginning , and make adjustments during fitting process.

Last edited:

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably a beginner's question, but what is the difference between Shanghai and Guangdong workmanship?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Probably a beginner's question, but what is the difference between Shanghai and Guangdong workmanship?

I am not an expert to tell the difference. The blog quoted from a tailor explaining the difference, the traditional Shanghai workmanship is time consuming. Nowadays, Shanghai workmanship is much simplified, not too much difference, say only a little more details. Some say no difference as they are all made in Shenzhen.

Inmystyle

Reaction score
Suit fabric for the summer:

Wool is one, many brands offer wool for the summer.

Mohair: Dugdale bros, Huddersfield, Dormeuil, Standeven , Schofield, etc.

Cotton, the character is soft and comfort. Many fabric shops in HK offer similar suit cotton for around HK$150 / HK$200 per yard.

Linen, the character is similar to fresco. Many fabric shops in HK offer linen for different prices from around HK$300 to over HK$600 per yard. e.g. Italian linen for around HK$300 per yard.

cotton:
View attachment 1155699
linen:
View attachment 1155701
Which shop did you get Cabalane from - I am looking to order

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Which shop did you get Cabalane from - I am looking to order

Hung sifu said Cabalane comes from Sanwa Woollen. Many fabric shops offer linen.

Inmystyle

Reaction score
I have the regular number for Sanwa but would you know if they have WhatsApp or WeChat?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I have the regular number for Sanwa but would you know if they have WhatsApp or WeChat?
Many fabric shops in HK offer linen fabric from different brands. You have to contact them directly for details.

Last edited:

rebecks

Reaction score
Mr PekingRoadHK,

I am planning a trip to HK soon. Looking to purchase some length of fabrics for suiting and shirting purposes.

Have been to Kwong Hing before and roughly know what brands they carry.

Would you be able to advise if T Adair & Sons still sell Thomas Mason shirtings?

Where are Loa Hai Shing and Lung Wah Hong located?

And besides the shops above, are there any other fabric shops that you would recommend visiting?

Please advise.

Thanks very much in advance.

dennistsang

Reaction score
Mr PekingRoadHK,

I am planning a trip to HK soon. Looking to purchase some length of fabrics for suiting and shirting purposes.

Have been to Kwong Hing before and roughly know what brands they carry.

Would you be able to advise if T Adair & Sons still sell Thomas Mason shirtings?

Where are Loa Hai Shing and Lung Wah Hong located?

And besides the shops above, are there any other fabric shops that you would recommend visiting?

Please advise.

Thanks very much in advance.
You can go to the Albini Hong Kong Limited If you want to purchase Thomas Mason fabric. It is located at
16F, 168 Queen’s Road Central,
Hong Kong

rebecks

Reaction score
You can go to the Albini Hong Kong Limited If you want to purchase Thomas Mason fabric. It is located at
16F, 168 Queen’s Road Central,
Hong Kong

Thanks for the info and contact. Will definitely visit them. I presume they would entertain a walk-in customer who would be buying cut lengths?

thettruthawaits

Reaction score
the shirt tailor, Cam sifu.
You have to call him or ask the people in the 15/F room. I can't update all info all the time in the blog. All BaoTou tailors come and go all the time. I always see they move to upstairs or downstairs all the time.

Thanks PekingRoad! After taking some time to call and ask around, I found that Cam Sifu has moved to a workshop in Wanchai at Lockhart Rd with 2-3 other HK tailors (all look to be at least in their 50s or more when i visited) and still doing HK made only shirts. Asked about only making one shirt and was quoted $240, might try in future. For anyone interested the workshop number is 93317933. Cheers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads