• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
The price for a CMT safari jacket quoted from some workshops in Mirador Mansion is from HKD2000 all the way up to HKD3200. This price seems to be unreasonable to me for a simple fused safari jacket when the price for a full canvas suit is around HKD3000.
now, it's low season, many BaoTou are available. I am sure you can find the right BaoTou for lower cost in Mirador Mansion. Doesn't matter Shanghai or Guangdong workmanship, when you are looking for a fused jacket.

Price in general in Mirador Mansion:

Guangdong workmanship CMT price for a suit (2 pcs): fused HK$1k – HK$1.3k, full canvas HK$1.8k - HK$2.2k

Shanghai workmanship CMT price for a suit (2 pcs): fused HK$1.3k - 1.6k, full canvas HK$2k – HK$3k.

what is the difference between a fused jacket of Guangdong workmanship (HK$1.3k) and Shanghai workmanship (HK$1.6k) in the above situation? HK$1.3k : fused canvas from China. HK$1.6k : fused canvas from Italy or Korea.

Some say :

Cutting and fitting:
Cutting and fitting in HK by HK baotou, no difference between Guangdong and Shanghai workmanship for cutting, they are all the same, the difference is those “old HK” sifu have better cutting skills.

Workmanship:
All made in Shenzhen workshops, not much difference or no difference between Guangdong and Shanghai workmanship. Some say Shanghai workmanship requires a bit more on details, that’s all. We see different quality as they come from different Shenzhen workshops. However, we (consumers) cannot pick the Shenzhen workshop, BaoTou pick the Shenzhen workshop, and we (consumers) pick the right BaoTou.

“Old HK” sifu in Mirador Mansion , they have long long years working for expensive bespoke in HK.

I also asked a baotou for his opinion. He said, many years ago, there were suit baotou for suits, and safari jacket baotou for safari jackets. CMT price for a safari jacket costs about 60% 70% CMT price of a 2 pcs suit, ie. almost the same CMT price of a suit jacket. Nowadays, there is no more safari jacket baotou. You have to find your suit baotou to make safari jacket for you. Because there is no more safari jacket baotou, suit baotou are charging 100% up price of a 2 pcs suit. I suggest to go for fused jacket instead of full canvas jacket.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
This is my new leather jacket before the Chinese new year. Cowhide leather from Brazil, leather treatment in Italy. Why did I choose cowhide? Because it is durable. Brazilian cowhide is usually thicker than others, therefore, it is more durable, and keep warm in winter. Italian leather processing technology is world famous, followed by Spanish leather processing technology.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...nd-fabric-shops-for-cmt-thread.542082/page-32
km-6-jpg.1105375

The leather jacket I ordered before the Chinese new year is good for the Winter. After Chinese new year, this time is for spring and autumn.

The left one is a thin cowhide leather from Italy, Italian leather treatment.
The middle one is thick cowhide from Brazil (same as the above black one), Italian leather treatment.
The right one is 2nd thinnest cowhide from Italy, Italian leather treatment. I picked this cowhide.

cowhide leather 牛皮2.JPG

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I planned to make something like this in the beginning:
Tom-Ford-2016-Fall-Winter-Mens-Show-003.jpg

Jackets%20Tom%20Ford%20Men%20Tom%20Ford%20Jackets%20Cheap%20Tom%20Ford%20Leather%20Military%20Jacket%20br%20Brown%20TomFord%20476_3_LRG.jpg

Jackets%20575Tom%20Ford%20Leather%20Military%20Jacket%20Men%20Tom%20Ford%20Jackets%20For%20you%20Men%20Jackets%20Cheap%20Price%20--%20Color%20In%20Brown_LRG.jpg

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Finally, I decided to make something like this for spring and autumn:

Gieves+bespoke+jacket.jpg

gieves+and+hawkes+jacket+fitting.jpg

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
need to confirm the leather after fitting

cowhide leather 牛皮4.JPG

KM.fitting1.JPG

KM.fitting2.JPG

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
this is after cutting:

KM.cutting4.jpg

KM.cutting5.jpg

KM.cutting9.jpg

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
just picked up my new leather jacket.
it's a warm day , didn't have it out yet.

KM4.JPG

KM5.JPG

KM6.JPG

KM8.jpg

guitarcade

Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, i managed to step into the world of HK Baotous and met a few HK friends as well!

My latest commission. Pics below are of the 1st fitting (And only fitting i think). Commissioned a 3 piece SB suit in Houndstooth pattern, DB vest inside, double forward pleated pants. Sorry i didn't manage to take photo of the vest or the back.

Sifu is going to add half an inch of length to this jacket and also going to shorten the pants by half inch. Looking forward!

IMG_8355.jpg
IMG_8357.jpg

guitarcade

Reaction score
Do you guys know of any other baotou locations in Tsim Sha Tsui other than Mirador Mansion? You could privately message me if you do know and are not comfortable to share it publicly :)

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Do you guys know of any other baotou locations in Tsim Sha Tsui other than Mirador Mansion? You could privately message me if you do know and are not comfortable to share it publicly :)
#1 article explained:
Mirador Mansion in TST is the center of tailors’ workshops in Hong Kong since 1960's.
There are about 100 tailors in this building from 3/F to 16/F, with an average of 8 tailors in each floor.

BaoTou locations in TST other than Mirador Mansion
(some of them will tell you to go a better place: Mirador Mansion)
3 Baotou here:
Star Mansion, 3 Minden Row, Tsim Sha Tsui
1 Baotou here:
Hai Phong Mansion, 101 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui

My blog explained all the details.

Last edited:

Suit_newbie

Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, i managed to step into the world of HK Baotous and met a few HK friends as well!

My latest commission. Pics below are of the 1st fitting (And only fitting i think). Commissioned a 3 piece SB suit in Houndstooth pattern, DB vest inside, double forward pleated pants. Sorry i didn't manage to take photo of the vest or the back.

Sifu is going to add half an inch of length to this jacket and also going to shorten the pants by half inch. Looking forward!

View attachment 1159030 View attachment 1159031

Which sifu did you use?

thettruthawaits

Reaction score
Does anyone know where is the Cam sifu who had his workshop on 15F? Much appreciated!

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Does anyone know where is the Cam sifu who had his workshop on 15F? Much appreciated!

the shirt tailor, Cam sifu.
You have to call him or ask the people in the 15/F room. I can't update all info all the time in the blog. All BaoTou tailors come and go all the time. I always see they move to upstairs or downstairs all the time.

OverlyBullish

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, would it be considered rude if I was to bring a suit for a BaoTou tailor to replicate? I would be coming as a first-time customer but also a referral/friend of a regular customer.

clhkg

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, would it be considered rude if I was to bring a suit for a BaoTou tailor to replicate? I would be coming as a first-time customer but also a referral/friend of a regular customer.
They would welcome that but how much they "copy" from your suits would be a question

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads