• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I showed these photos to a few retired tailors of Shanghai workmanship in Mirador last week, they were playing mahjong. I asked them by looking at the photos in my cell phone, which tailor made the best suit among tailors charging $2.xk CMT price of Shanghai workmanship. They said Jim sifu made the best canvas, it stands very well. Ng sifu is very close. Lok is far behind as the peacoat photo explained itself already. They explained, this is about the workshop behind the sifu. Jim sifu workshop made the best canvas, Ng sifu workshop is close, Lok's workshop is not bad. The peacoat photo showed Lok cutting skill problem. Among this 3 sifu, I prefer Ng sifu cutting for myself.

2 things to look:
1) the sifu: his cutting and fitting skills
2) the workshop behind: how the workshop sifu work on the suit

Last edited:

seferphier

Reaction score
Amazing content PekingRoadHK, especially the leather jackets. Never knew much about tailored leather jackets in HK - that's unique. Jim sifu's jackets looks awesome.

Suit_newbie

Reaction score
I showed these photos to a few retired tailors of Shanghai workmanship in Mirador last week, they were playing mahjong. I asked them by looking at the photos in my cell phone, which tailor made the best suit among tailors charging $2.xk CMT price of Shanghai workmanship. They said Jim sifu made the best canvas, it stands very well. Ng sifu is very close. Lok is far behind as the peacoat photo explained itself already. They explained, this is about the workshop behind the sifu. Jim sifu workshop made the best canvas, Ng sifu workshop is close, Lok's workshop is not bad. The peacoat photo showed Lok cutting skill problem. Among this 3 sifu, I prefer Ng sifu cutting for myself.

2 things to look:
1) the sifu: his cutting and fitting skills
2) the workshop behind: how the workshop sifu work on the suit

Where would you rank Hung sifu, both his skills and his workshop's skills?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Amazing content PekingRoadHK, especially the leather jackets. Never knew much about tailored leather jackets in HK - that's unique. Jim sifu's jackets looks awesome.
Tailor made leather jacket, 100% made in HK, by HK sifu. This leather jacket tailor is located in Mirador Mansion. They are specificated in making leather jackets, they also make safari jackets and jeans. They said they make leather jackets for Hollywood movies and China movies. They explained the skills required are totally different from making suits. They cannot make suits like suit tailors, and suit tailors cannot make leather jackets like them. Different knitting needles and skills!

On my first day wearing cowhide leather jacket, the leather was too hard, not comfortable at all.
On the 2nd day, the leather became softer, more comfortable .
On the 3rd day, the leather became even more softer and more comfortable. Amazing, I feel better with leather jacket than suit jackets! I plan to have one more lambskin leather jacket, but I need to have more wardrobe space first.

Jim said he plans to retire soon. Ng said he still has a few more years working as BaoTou.

Where would you rank Hung sifu, both his skills and his workshop's skills?

#479 #480 explained this is made in HK, HK workshop, by HK sifu, canvas from England, this is skillful workmanship. I don't like the cutting.

For the cutting, Hung is too loosen, Lok is too tight, Ng is in between. I prefer Ng cutting.

very interesting, how much does a cowhide jacket cost? How long is the entire process?
$5k including workmanship and leather. This cowhide leather comes from Brazil. Leathers from Italy and Spain have different characters.

The situation is very similar to suit tailors in Mirador. They are busy during high seasons, and not busy during low seasons. I made the order in end of Nov, and picked it up in early Jan. It took longer time before fitting. After fitting, it took about 1 week for completion, and 3 more days for alterations.

Last edited:

Nistelki

Reaction score
Hi everyone just a review of two tailors from mirador mansion. One which I had a major problem with

1. Lok sifu (https://www.facebook.com/LokSiFuTailor) 13/f :

The suit was a two piece double breasted (post #125,127), price break down is as folows:

2800 for labour for 2 piece
930 for VBC chalk stripe super 100
200 for unlined
100 Milanese buttonhole

It was my first proper suit so I it was a lot to take in so didn't really know what to check. But over the past few months I have been getting more into men's tailoring etc. So out of curiosity recently I decided to check the canvassing on the suit by Lok sifu and I realized it was actually a half canvas, as it is clear the canvas only extends half way down the jacket (the jacket is unlined so I am able to get right under the two layers of cloth through an opening inside the jacket). So giving him the benefit of the doubt I assumed he might just have mistaken and got it wrong. So I decided to go and ask him about it earlier today. So in short he was extremely rude, kicked me out telling me I was mental and should check the receipt and that I only paid for half canvas (he was not willing to check his records etc). I am sure other people might have nice suits made by him but I was quite upset that I got more or less scammed by him.

In regards to my thoughts after wearing it for a few months:

-my shoulders naturally point forward, which this suit does not address. (I realised this much later)
-there are dimples on the shoulders which I noted in earlier posts because of excess material I believe (I tried to ask Lok sifu to fix he ignored me)
-trousers fit very well (but were missing the buttons for suspenders (I requested))
-hugs the back and the waist very nicely
-all the stripes on the jacket lined up perfectly with each other

2. Ng sifu 5f:

The suit is a two piece in mid grey herringbone. Single-breasted with two buttons patch pocket and high waisted trousers (can post picture if you guys want)

2800 for labour for 2 piece
960 for Herringbone (Italian mill (don't remember which one exactly)

I picked up my finished suit today, slight issue with one shoulder extending slightly more than the other one. Will go tomorrow and see if I can get it sorted. Otherwise everything has been great. As Ng sifu is a very lovely gentleman (offered me a blue lady every time I went up lol)

Thoughts after wearing it today:

-hugs the back beautifully
-trousers are perfect in terms of fit
-issue with one shoulder being slightly more extended than the other (will see if I can get it sorted tomorrow)
-everything else is good (hoping to make a second suit with him if shoulder issue is sorted)
I personally have done a handful of suits with lok. For the pricing issue, he told me quite clearly at the beginning. I don’t think he had the intention to scam you as he receives tons of orders and he has no time to explain to everyone in details.. but I guess that’s what you get for the price, if you want full customer service better with proper suit shops. I’m quite talkative so I build a good relationship with him lol

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I personally have done a handful of suits with lok. For the pricing issue, he told me quite clearly at the beginning. I don’t think he had the intention to scam you as he receives tons of orders and he has no time to explain to everyone in details.. but I guess that’s what you get for the price, if you want full customer service better with proper suit shops. I’m quite talkative so I build a good relationship with him lol

This is Hong Kong in the 21st century, and we stand on Hong Kong value! We share info, good and bad, let consumers to make their decisions. k made it clear already, he paid the price of full canvas, and he got the end product of half canvas. This BaoTou refused to communicate to fix the problem.

If he is too full to take orders, he should not take the order to keep the reasonable standard. Compare for yourself, same consumer, same requirement, 2 busy BaoTou (2 service providers), same price, 2 different results (big difference). This #401 consumer report is perfect!

We shop in Hong Kong, we expect Hong Kong value.
香港廣告: 香港旅發局 好客之道(林子祥唱)2004

今時今日服務態度 西蘭花/買衫(劉德華)2002

[經典廣告] 今時今日服務態度 劉德華 2002

Go LoWu commercial city shopping mall in Shenzhen, busy mall and low price, they provide much better service than Lok. I see English - mandarin Chinese translators working for tailor shops. I got good experiences from 2/F. My first time was the tailor made a big mistake, no argument, he paid for the fabric and made a new trousers for me. Surprisingly, a tailor at 5/F paid me back in full as he was not satisfied with his work before I say a word. You expect HK worse than Shenzhen?

Last edited:

Nistelki

Reaction score
This is Hong Kong in the 21st century, and we stand on Hong Kong value! We share info, good and bad, let the consumers to make their decisions. k made it clearly already, he paid the price of full canvas, and he got the end product of half canvas. This BaoTou refused to communicate to fix the problem.

今時今日服務態度 西蘭花/買衫(劉德華)2002

[經典廣告] 今時今日服務態度 劉德華 2002

It’s okay if you disagree but got to understand with such pricing, what more do you want seriously..? Why is that I didn’t have problem communication with the tailor? Gotta have a second thought about that man. Lok is not really a customer service guy, to him it’s either do it or not do it. I think what he offers is already good enough.. plus one customer feedback would affect a tailor’s reputation? Everyone has their own opinion, you can’t judge someone with one customer’s bad experience.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
It’s okay if you disagree but got to understand with such pricing, what more do you want seriously..? Why is that I didn’t have problem communication with the tailor? Gotta have a second thought about that man. Lok is not really a customer service guy, to him it’s either do it or not do it. I think what he offers is already good enough.. plus one customer feedback would affect a tailor’s reputation? Everyone has their own opinion, you can’t judge someone with one customer’s bad experience.
look at #401, that's not about service. that's about reasonable communication.

you haven't tried other baotou of full canvas for $2.8k and $2.5k. I have talked to a few BaoTou offering $2.2k of full canvas, they have better communications.

Last edited:

Nistelki

Reaction score
look at #401, that's not about service. that's about reasonable communication.

you haven't tried other baotou for full canvas $2.8k and $2.5k.
That’s true that I didn’t try others but like I said, everyone entitles to their own opinion, one bad experience doesn’t mean it’s for all. Bashing others’ opinions doesn’t mean this report / thread is neutral. For my personal experience I think Lok is not a rude guy, it’s just he has so many ppl asking him this and that during the day and I understand he might have missed out during the communication, then you initiate and keep the communication in loop. Remember all communications are two ways not one way. Sorry I’m not just saying this as a customer but I also put myself in opposite’s shoes. That’s all I want to say about.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
That’s true that I didn’t try others but like I said, everyone entitles to their own opinion, one bad experience doesn’t mean it’s for all. Bashing others’ opinions doesn’t mean this report / thread is neutral. For my personal experience I think Lok is not a rude guy, it’s just he has so many ppl asking him this and that during the day and I understand he might have missed out during the communication, then you initiate and keep the communication in loop. Remember all communications are two ways not one way. Sorry I’m not just saying this as a customer but I also put myself in opposite’s shoes. That’s all I want to say about.
You have described his character, and you know this is not an individual case.
Everyone makes mistakes. Tailors make mistakes, responsible tailors fix problems, problem tailors don't fix problems.

Consumers read #401, everyone sees the problem, and we know what to choose. My #404 explained, we got consumer rights.

From my understanding, there are 2 BaoTou offering so many fabrics in Mirador Mansion. Lok is one, therefore, he is good for beginners who don't purchase fabrics someplace else. These 2 BaoTou are actually tailor shops offering fabrics and tailor services in one place. Their customers are actually tailor shop customers, this is not CMT.

I talked to a few more BaoTou (old HK) at 5/F 6/F 7/F 16/F, they told me they can borrow fabric sample books from their tailor shop fans and offer even more fabric choices to their loyal customers at cost, they just don't do that as they are always too busy, they don't take overload orders from walk in customers to keep their standard at the right level. They put quality first. See the difference? I received feedbacks from BaoTou and consumers, they have different stories and #401 is like a few examples of these feedbacks. There are consumers that have tried Lok in the beginning and they turned to other BaoTou sooner or later.

CMT, we purchase our fabrics someplace else, we have a lot more BaoTou choices. We don't limit ourselves to very few number of tailors when we have different fabric sources.

This is consumer report about a sifu (commercial activity), this is not personal data privacy of a sifu. You can't stop others from sharing consumers opinions!

Last edited:

dennistsang

Reaction score
Do you guys have any suggestion for a good trousers maker in Mirador Mansion?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Do you guys have any suggestion for a good trousers maker in Mirador Mansion?
All suit Baotou in Mirador Mansion can make trousers!
Shanghai workmanship: $500 / $600
Guangdong workmanship: less than that, could be $300 / $400

all made in workshops in Shenzhen, cost: RMB 100 / RMB 150.
lower cost in Guangzhou, cost less than RMB 50.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Suit fabric for the summer:

Wool is one, many brands offer wool for the summer.

Mohair: Dugdale bros, Huddersfield, Dormeuil, Standeven , Schofield, etc.

Cotton, the character is soft and comfort. Many fabric shops in HK offer similar suit cotton for around HK$150 / HK$200 per yard.

Linen, the character is similar to fresco. Many fabric shops in HK offer linen for different prices from around HK$300 to over HK$600 per yard. e.g. Italian linen for around HK$300 per yard.

cotton:
suit cotton.jpg

linen:
Cabalane Pure Linen.jpg

Last edited:

dennistsang

Reaction score
The price for a CMT safari jacket quoted from some workshops in Mirador Mansion is from HKD2000 all the way up to HKD3200. This price seems to be unreasonable to me for a simple fused safari jacket when the price for a full canvas suit is around HKD3000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads