• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Holland & Sherry Perennial Classics, full canvas by Ng sifu :

Holland&Sherry1.JPG

Holland&Sherry2.JPG

Holland&Sherry3.jpg

Holland&Sherry4.JPG

Holland&Sherry5.JPG

I asked Ng sifu why it takes so long to make suits for local consumers.

His answer :
high season: after Mid-Autumn Festival until Chinese new year. takes longer than a month, could be 3 months.
low leason: after Chinese new year until before Mid-Autumn Festival. takes less than a month.

He considers his local customers are demanding details and quality, ie. the best quality. Therefore, he arranges the best people to make our suits, it takes long as his best people are always busy.

People have to make request when they make the order, 1 week / 2 weeks is possible (depending on his workload at that moment). Consumers cannot expect the best quality in this case.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Drago 140S, full canvas by Jim sifu (with over 40 years in tailoring) :

drago5.JPG

drago6.JPG

drago7.JPG

this Jim sifu case, it took 3 weeks to complete the job in high season last year!

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I made better lighting environment to take better photos:

all by Ng sifu

Dugdale Mohair
Dugdale Mohair 2
Dugdale NFW
Holland & Sherry Perennial Classics
VBC revenge
VBC revenge 2

Ngsifu.DugdaleMohair.JPG

Ngsifu.DugdaleMohair2.JPG

Ngsifu.DugdaleNFW.JPG

Ngsifu.Holland SherryPerennial.JPG

Ngsifu.VBCrevenge.JPG

Ngsifu.VBCrevenge2.JPG

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
This is the work of 13/F Hung sifu, outsource to HK old sifu (made in HK, not Shenzhen) for high grade Shanghai workmanship, canvas from England, fabric is Scabal Londoner super 140.

It doesn't seem right. I asked him to pass it to the old sifu to do the alterations, and make things right after Chinese new year.

Hungsifu.ScabalLondoner.JPG

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
This one comes from Lo Wu Shopping Mall 3 years ago. Tailor made suede leather jacket, I forgot RMB 1.3k or 1.5k. The first photo shows Lo Wu choices of China suede leather from Dongmen fabric market. I gave them my Esprit jacket to copy, no fitting! They made it in a week. It looks perfect for that kind of price.

Shenzhen suede leather.jpg

LoWu.1.JPG

LoWu.2.JPG

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
This one comes from one of the best leather jacket tailors in HK. This is HK sifu, made in HK (not Shenzhen).

different leathers have different characters, 1 - 3 are the most common for most people. most of them from Italy, some from Spain :
1) lamb suede leather. soft, it is best comfort for most people. due to humidity in asian pacific region, suede leather does not last too long (e.g. 3 years).
2) lambskin leather. soft, comfort and long lasting (e.g. 10 years).
3) cowhide leather. hard, not too comfort, but long long lasting (e.g. 30 years).

lamb suede leather 京皮.JPG

lambskin leather 羊皮.JPG

cowhide leather 牛皮.JPG

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
expensive! most of them from Italy, some from Spain :
4) ostrich leather
5) python leather
6) crocodile leather

ostrich leather 鴕鳥皮.JPG

python leather 蟒蛇皮.JPG

crocodile leather 鱷魚皮.JPG

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
This is my new leather jacket. This cowhide leather comes from Brazil. Why I picked cowhide leather? because it will last very long time.

KM.5.JPG

KM.6.JPG

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
originally, I wanted a bike jacket, but I think I am too old for it.
this is a sample of lambskin leather bike jacket in the shop:
KM.bike1.jpg

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I didn't expect they pay great attention to details during fitting for a $5k jacket.

front.JPG

front2.jpg

back.JPG

side.JPG

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I like it so shiny!

KM.8.jpg

KM.4.JPG

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Many years ago, my friend showed me his bike jacket (James Dean style), he said it came from his father (his father was wearing it for 30 years), and he has been wearing it for many years after his father.

Now, I have found a leather jacket tailor in Mirador and cowhide leather, I want a bomber jacket. I plan to keep it for a few decades.

this is dual (double) opening zipper / two way zipper:

KM.3.JPG

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I took some photos yesterday in Bens Hung sifu workshop. This post is about canvas. Full canvas suit Vs Half canvas suit Vs Fused suit, what's inside the suit? There are different canvas at different cost:

1) The first one is canvas from England, it has a lot more elasticity. This one is usually for high grade Shanghai workmanship of full canvas suits (made in HK). The canvas will go through soaking underwater for 2 days. Then, they will dry the canvas with a big machines before cutting. They have a few time consuming procedures working on the canvas, fine needle after fitting is another one. Therefore, it takes a few more days to complete a suit.

2) The 2nd one is canvas from China. This one is usually for ordinary Shanghai workmanship of full canvas suits and half canvas suits (made in Shenzhen). The work on canvas is a lot more simple. They put water on the canvas and dry it with ironer, before cutting. Less fine needle after fitting is another one. Therefore, it takes less time to complete a suit.

3) & 4) The 3rd one is fused canvas from Italy. The 4th one is fused canvas from Korea. Both are for Shanghai workmanship of fused suits (made in Shenzhen). If you are looking for Guangdong workmanship of fused suits, they use fused canvas from China.

canvas from England :
Full canvas from England3.JPG

canvas from China :
Full canvas from China.JPG

fused canvas from Italy :
Fused canvas from Italy.JPG

fused canvas from Korea :
Fused canvas from Korea.JPG

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I picked up my new suit yesterday, made by Bens Hung sifu (he outsources the work to HK old sifu). The fabric is Scabal Londoner super 140s. This one is high grade Shanghai workmanship (made in HK). What is the difference between high grade Shanghai workmanship (made in HK) and ordinary Shanghai workmanship (made in Shenzhen)? Hung explained, working on the full canvas from England is one big difference. The other difference is the fine needle on the whole suit, this is the details of a suit.

Scabal Londoner1.JPG

Scabal Londoner2.JPG

high grade Shanghai workmanship1.JPG

high grade Shanghai workmanship2.JPG

high grade Shanghai workmanship3.JPG

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
For high grade Shanghai workmanship (made in HK), working on the canvas has certain procedures, it takes more time and has its value. Hong Kong sifu, hand made in HK, this is unique. Just like those expensive tailor shops in HK, Hong Kong sifu, hand made in HK, Hong Kong workshop, it must be more expensive than Shenzhen sifu, made in Shenzhen.

I don't like the cutting, it's not the workmanship or the materials. This Peak Lapel is much better: All About the Double-Breasted Suit

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads