• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
my new 3pcs suit, British fabric, British cut.
Hey just wondering, is it just the pic / the way the jacket was put on the mannequin or was the left sleeve attached slightly more backward than the right? It doesn't seem as apparent for your Scabal one

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Think I'd share photos of my first setting with a young, off-Mirador tailor. From what I've learned, it's fully handmade in HK.

I snatched the vintage fabric from a beat-up store in Sham Shui Po -- <100HKD aka <14.5USD for the whole piece.

The tailor was patient enough to discuss the options I was going with (Nutter-esque lapels, roped shoulders etc.) and whether or not they'd suit my needs. It was a nice experience, all in all.

Attachments

• 20220809_111126.jpg
    20220809_111126.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220809_111045.jpg
    20220809_111045.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220809_111006.jpg
    20220809_111006.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 20220809_110936.jpg
    20220809_110936.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 134

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think I'd share photos of my first setting with a young, off-Mirador tailor. From what I've learned, it's fully handmade in HK.

I snatched the vintage fabric from a beat-up store in Sham Shui Po -- <100HKD aka <14.5USD for the whole piece.

The tailor was patient enough to discuss the options I was going with (Nutter-esque lapels, roped shoulders etc.) and whether or not they'd suit my needs. It was a nice experience, all in all.
nice, would you be willing to dm me the details of this off-mirador tailor?

Leon1031

Reaction score

Which tailor u use in Mirador?thx

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Hey just wondering, is it just the pic / the way the jacket was put on the mannequin or was the left sleeve attached slightly more backward than the right? It doesn't seem as apparent for your Scabal one

my right and left shoulders are not perfectly equal, not sure if this is uneven shoulders.
my arm length of both side is 2mm different. I don't know the tailor term for what this is called.

Last edited:

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
my right and left shoulders are not perfectly equal, not sure if this is uneven shoulders.
my arm length of both side is 2mm different. I don't know the tailor term for what this is called.
Think we can all relate to that. Cutters would have a lot to say about that and scoliosis.
A friend of mine who happens to be a 2nd-generation tailor told me that despite such conditions, sifus usually not prefer making a suit look asymmetrical in any way. One esthetic consideration, after all, is how the imperfections of one's body can be concealed and not accentuated.
As far as your suit, I'd imagine both sleeves can be attached at pretty much the same position given your arms are nearly the same in length.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
People asked me, and this is my answer:

Ng sifu, British cut Vs Wong SY sifu, Italian cut

I personally prefer Ng sifu cutting and skills that better suits my taste and needs.

Workmanship: about same grade of workmanship
canvas workmanship, shoulder workmanship, milanese buttonhole, etc.
Wong SY sifu products have more detail finishing.

Ng sifu takes care of measurement, cutting, fitting, and alterations in HK. He controls his own Shenzhen workshop and Shenzhen labour.
Wong SY sifu takes care of measurement and fitting in HK. He outsources the production to a high grade Shenzhen factory. This factory takes care of cutting and major alterations.
I am satisfied with both sifu workmanship. Both sifu offer excellent dollar value and good workmanship.

The big difference is the cutting and the shoulders.
Ng sifu offers shirt shoulders and Wong sifu offers neapolitan shoulders.
We pick whatever we prefer.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
People asked me, and this is my answer:

Ng sifu, British cut Vs Wong SY sifu, Italian cut

I personally prefer Ng sifu cutting and skills that better suits my taste and needs.

Workmanship: about same grade of workmanship
canvas workmanship, shoulder workmanship, milanese buttonhole, etc.
Wong SY sifu products have more detail finishing.

Ng sifu takes care of measurement, cutting, fitting, and alterations in HK. He controls his own Shenzhen workshop and Shenzhen labour.
Wong SY sifu takes care of measurement and fitting in HK. He outsources the production to a high grade Shenzhen factory. This factory takes care of cutting and major alterations.
I am satisfied with both sifu workmanship. Both sifu offer excellent dollar value and good workmanship.

The big difference is the cutting and the shoulders.
Ng sifu offers shirt shoulders and Wong sifu offers neapolitan shoulders.
We pick whatever we prefer.
Point taken indeed.

I'm actually having a first fitting with Ng this week. We talked about you briefly not long ago and he can't thank you enough for being a huge help to the sifus at Mirador.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Point taken indeed.

I'm actually having a first fitting with Ng this week. We talked about you briefly not long ago and he can't thank you enough for being a huge help to the sifus at Mirador.

Mirador Mansion and Chungking Mansion were like modern twin towers in the 60's, built in the 50's. Mirador Mansion became the center of tailors in the 70's and was like a 24hours tailor operating building (garment factory) until early 80's. I am a HK guy, didn't notice this building until a few years ago.

Many sifu and consumers are now very happy, we all can deal directly.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Pics of a long-awaited fitting with the Ng detailing what were checked / had to be altered:
1. The collar gap. This, Ng explained, was the result of attaching a reusable collar for fitting purposes (think Ng calls it “大眾領襆” (roughly translated as “collar for [all clients during fittings]”)). How do I know if the collar of the end product would fare though?:confused2:
2. Fabric did not “rest on” the shoulder despite having been cut to the measurement. This goes to show why you would not want to bring your suit home without getting at least one fitting done: for the same measurements, body shapes vary. I believe the way your trapezius is shaped affects how much the shoulder needs to be taken in (斬膊) or pressed / shaped.
3. Pattern mismatch at hindseam (lines not joining)
(Not shown in this pic: Insufficient back length causing front to be pulled upwards (標高;balancing issue); sleeve possibly not curved enough)
a. Another angle of the collar
b. Matching sleeve-chest pattern
c. ~Patterns forms a horizontal straight line at the waistline, a sign of proper balance
d. Button stance
e. Pattern mismatch at front dart
f. Sleeves to be made shorter by ⅜ of a inch IIRC. Sifus tend to cut the sleeves longer for fittings
g. Jacket front ends at my thumb's second joint

I hope I've kept my explanations as accurate and clear as I intended them to be. Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• 20220817_202138.jpg
    20220817_202138.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 20220817_202558.jpg
    20220817_202558.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 106

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics