• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

Petey

Reaction score
Same here. If well executed, it will have a nice slightly enhanced shoulder outline compared to the waist. More of a European flavour like the french and italian

Well I'd very much love to see his take on con rollino if you have photos of it

Petey

Reaction score
Happy Easter everyone! Anyone has any WIP tailoring for the S/S2022 season? I'm still looking a simple and light jacket for the freezing a/c. Any suggestions? I already have a light linen safari jacket.

Anyone interested in going to the fabric shops for some recon?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Where to find Fintex, apart from the limited stock in Kwong Hing?

Perhaps they got a new wholesaler in HKSAR?
They got a new dealer in 2021, the same HK dealer also sells a few more British brands. My blog tells already. What interests me most is their British vintage fabrics.

Petey

Reaction score
They got a new dealer in 2021, the same HK dealer also sells a few more British brands. My blog tells already. What interests me most is their British vintage fabrics.
May I ask which vintage british fabric are you most interested in?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
May I ask which vintage british fabric are you most interested in?
They got many vintage fabrics from different British brands, some brands are long gone. Others are best well-known British brands in the market.

I am not sure how fabric traders call this kind of vintage. I sometime buy tubes for my Hi-Fi system, I call this NOS (New Old Stock), old stocks (new/never been used).

e.g. I have seen "Yates" in the 1970's, and haven't seen this brand since 1980's. I got these last year:

Attachments

• Yates vintage fabric.JPG
    Yates vintage fabric.JPG
    495.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Gabardine vintage fabric.JPG
    Gabardine vintage fabric.JPG
    505.3 KB · Views: 44
  • H&S vintage  gabardine for Trench coat.jpg
    H&S vintage gabardine for Trench coat.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 45

Stanacle

Reaction score
Just saw Ng sifu's Facebook update. This is the first time I see him doing a 3-roll-2 jacket. I am not sure if it's a structural thing or just he pressed too hard when ironing the lapel.
FB_IMG_1651412733207.jpg

I think Wong SY sifu has a better execution on 3-roll-2.

FB_IMG_1651413286003.jpg

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Called Ng the other day. He said that since he can't ship things to China these days, he's doing everything by himself (which I assume includes tailoring), and that means it'll take more time before clients get their fittings.

Lamach22288

Reaction score
I was at Wong SY yesterday and he said couriers are finally taking shipments back to the Shenzhen factory but there’s even a quarantine period for overseas parcels! He said to expect a lead time for 2 months for a suit rather than the usual 1 month assuming no more shutdowns.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Has anyone here purchased shirting fabrics from taobao stores / Chknese agents? Am lookkng for some seersucker for the summer at affordable prices

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I talked to Ng sifu and Wong SY sifu. Both are shipping their works to Shenzhen workshops. We should expect to receive the products within 3 months. We should not expect 2 months as the logistics time is no guarantee.

Ng sifu said he is doing a few suit works in HK. This is special case because a few customers are leaving HK very soon.

I am also expecting to receive end products from both Ng sifu and Wong SY sifu in early August. British cut by Ng sifu, Italian by Wong SY sifu.

Last edited:

xizenta

Reaction score
Are any of these baotou able to make a CMT suit without going in for a fitting? Someone I can just send my favorite jacket to replicate the pattern in new materials?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Are any of these baotou able to make a CMT suit without going in for a fitting? Someone I can just send my favorite jacket to replicate the pattern in new materials?
All BaoTou can do that, however, it won't be 100% exactly the same.
All sifu have different cutting.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Has anyone here purchased shirting fabrics from taobao stores / Chknese agents? Am lookkng for some seersucker for the summer at affordable prices
picked a few pcs shirt fabrics lately:
1) Regent Silk: China cotton, around HK$80/yard
2) Nita Fashions (Mody Rd): Egyptian cotton, around HK$80/yard

xizenta

Reaction score
All BaoTou can do that, however, it won't be 100% exactly the same.
All sifu have different cutting.

But I understand most BaoTou will not handle shipping suits to customers and don't speak english? Any of them as a matter of practice allow customer to send fabric and jacket to copy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads