• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Ng sifu was working for WW Chxx with Du sifu a few decades ago. Then, Ng worked for AMHx after WW Chxx. Both Ng and Du were trained by Shanghai school. Because Ng was the very few Guangdong guy working for Shanghai people (Shanghai people don't trust Guangdong people in the old days), he was called Guangdong boy within his Shanghai group. Some say AMHx is Guangdong school, therefore, Ng was defined as Guangdong workmanship by this 2 definitions. Both Ng and Du are now working at 16/F. The retired Yao sifu is also Shanghai school, he is now representing Red Gang tailoring in HK. Any question about Red Gang Shanghai tailoring can go ask Yao sifu, his office is located near TST. My blog shows his office address, and he is teaching tailoring in HK.

The traditional Red gang Shanghai workmanship is gone long time ago, as the workers/sifu working at workshops are not trained by old Shanghai school. Most sifu of Red gang Shanghai workmanship are retired, therefore, no products can be classified as produced by sifu of traditional Shanghai workmanship. Only Du sifu slow motion and a few sifu working at home, they do all the works by themself in HK without the help of workshop, their work can be classified as produced by traditional Shanghai workmanship.

The cutter and the fitter are important parts of tailoring. BaoTou works for the cutter and fitter role, and is the QC controller of the workshop. This BaoTou job is the key to control to make sure things are produced close to the Shanghai workmanship. This is the suitation of Shanghai workmanship. The old Shanghai school is gone long time ago, and the replacement / alternative is the BaoTou as QC controller. The question: what is the definition of Shanghai workmanship? I am sure Yao, Du, Ng sifu have been answering the same question for a few decades. No consumers can write down everything as we just don't understand their tailors terms.

Bonham Strand offers Guangdong workmanship, their tailors come from Mirador.

@Fishball
Why not tell us your definion for Shanghai workmanship? I will put it in my blog, everytime you ask your definition question again, I will quote you as the model answer for your same question in the future.

Last edited:

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems the group here is really knowledgeable about tailoring in mainland China and HK, so I have one question: do you recommend any Shanghai-based tailor that is not one of the most well-known names (WW Cxxx, Eleganzx Uxxx etc)? I live in Shanghai and would not mind trying a new tailor. DMs are much welcome if you don't want to write in public.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Seems the group here is really knowledgeable about tailoring in mainland China and HK, so I have one question: do you recommend any Shanghai-based tailor that is not one of the most well-known names (WW Cxxx, Eleganzx Uxxx etc)? I live in Shanghai and would not mind trying a new tailor. DMs are much welcome if you don't want to write in public.

All my HK friends in Shanghai told me Shanghai has better tailors than HK. Shanghai bespoke are training their own young Red gang tailors. What's important is the tailors behind the tailor shops, and all the best well known tailor shops are keeping their in house tailors. Competition is keen in Shanghai, heard a BaoTou was laid off in Shanghai and he came HK to contiune his business in Mirador.

If not the best well known tailor shops, they also have similar system to HK and Shenzhen, ie. HK BaoTou and their Shenzhen workshops. Shanghai case is BaoTou take business in Shanghai, and their workshops are usually located in Jiangsu province and Zhejiang province. To replace expensive bespoke in Shanghai, you need to find your Shanghai BaoTou who works with workshops of Shanghai workmanship. Your BaoTou will take your measurement, works on cutting and fitting in Shanghai, and the workshop behind will work on your suit.

HK case for Shanghai workmanship, e.g.
Wong SY sifu is charging higher than average, because he is using 2 high grade (expensive) workshops for Shanghai workmanship. One is located in Shenzhen and the other one is located in Jiangsu province.
Ng sifu is running his own Shenzhen workshop for Shanghai workmanship, price is lower.

Last edited:

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ng sifu was working for WW Chxx with Du sifu a few decades ago. Then, Ng worked for AMHx after WW Chxx. Both Ng and Du were trained by Shanghai school. Because Ng was the very few Guangdong guy working for Shanghai people (Shanghai people don't trust Guangdong people in the old days), he was called Guangdong boy within his Shanghai group. Some say AMHx is Guangdong school, therefore, Ng was defined as Guangdong workmanship by this 2 definitions. Both Ng and Du are now working at 16/F. The retired Yao sifu is also Shanghai school, he is now representing Red Gang tailoring in HK. Any question about Red Gang Shanghai tailoring can go ask Yao sifu, his office is located near TST. My blog shows his office address, and he is teaching tailoring in HK.

The traditional Red gang Shanghai workmanship is gone long time ago, as the workers/sifu working at workshops are not trained by old Shanghai school. Most sifu of Red gang Shanghai workmanship are retired, therefore, no products can be classified as produced by sifu of traditional Shanghai workmanship. Only Du sifu slow motion and a few sifu working at home, they do all the works by themself in HK without the help of workshop, their work can be classified as produced by traditional Shanghai workmanship.

The cutter and the fitter are important parts of tailoring. BaoTou works for the cutter and fitter role, and is the QC controller of the workshop. This BaoTou job is the key to control to make sure things are produced close to the Shanghai workmanship. This is the suitation of Shanghai workmanship. The old Shanghai school is gone long time ago, and the replacement / alternative is the BaoTou as QC controller. The question: what is the definition of Shanghai workmanship? I am sure Yao, Du, Ng sifu have been answering the same question for a few decades. No consumers can write down everything as we just don't understand their tailors terms.

Bonham Strand offers Guangdong workmanship, their tailors come from Mirador.

@Fishball
Why not tell us your definion for Shanghai workmanship? I will put it in my blog, everytime you ask your definition question again, I will quote you as the model answer for your same question in the future.
Say whatever you like. I’m not interested to any of your question. And I don’t think I have any duty to answer your questions.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Say whatever you like. I’m not interested to any of your question. And I don’t think I have any duty to answer your questions.
your tricks don't work at all! I understand, you have been using BaoTou from Mirador for decades, but you don't want others to use BaoTou.

Are you kidding?

Last edited:

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
your tricks don't work at all! I understand, you have been using BaoTou from Mirador for decades, but you don't want others to use BaoTou.
Wait... so someone's kept a close eye on someone else's whereabouts... sketchy sketchy lol

Let our hearts be light for the season of delight and let's enjoy the season of love and sartorial camaraderie!

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Shanghai has great tailors. I am wondering if there is anybody that is good that I don't know and should pay a visit.

All my HK friends in Shanghai told me Shanghai has better tailors than HK. Shanghai bespoke are training their own young Red gang tailors. What's important is the tailors behind the tailor shops, and all the best well known tailor shops are keeping their in house tailors. Competition is keen in Shanghai, heard a BaoTou was laid off in Shanghai and he came HK to contiune his business in Mirador.

If not the best well known tailor shops, they also have similar system to HK and Shenzhen, ie. HK BaoTou and their Shenzhen workshops. Shanghai case is BaoTou take business in Shanghai, and their workshops are usually located in Jiangsu province and Zhejiang province. To replace expensive bespoke in Shanghai, you need to find your Shanghai BaoTou who works with workshops of Shanghai workmanship. Your BaoTou will take your measurement, works on cutting and fitting in Shanghai, and the workshop behind will work on your suit.

HK case for Shanghai workmanship, e.g.
Wong SY sifu is charging higher than average, because he is using 2 high grade (expensive) workshops for Shanghai workmanship. One is located in Shenzhen and the other one is located in Jiangsu province.
Ng sifu is running his own Shenzhen workshop for Shanghai workmanship, price is lower.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Yes, Shanghai has great tailors. I am wondering if there is anybody that is good that I don't know and should pay a visit.

For BaoTou in Shanghai, you need to talk to people living there. BaoTou are moving around all the time in their tailor industry, only locals know where they are. It's like BaoTou in Mirador HK. I am a local consumer, it took me sometime to do research. I have already disclosed everything I know that can be disclosed. Previously, no one tells about BaoTou and Mirador to consumers.

Tailors in Shanghai

Cloth markets for CMT in Shanghai:
1) Shanghai South Bund Fabric Market 南外滩轻纺面料市场
Add: 399 Lujiabang Lu, near Zhongshan Nan Lu, Huangpu District, Shanghai
地址: 上海市黄浦区陆家浜路399号
2) Shanghai Shi Liu Pu Cloth Market 十六铺轻纺面料市场
Add: 168 Dongmen Lu, near Zhongshan Dong Lu
地址: 上海市黄浦区东门路168号
3) some importers are importing brand name fabrics for local consumers, wechat orders. PM you an example already.

** It might work when you ask local fabric suppliers in the Shanghai cloth markets, they must have insight info for who's who and BaoTou (tailors) direct contacts. **

----------------------------------------------------
Consumers:
I suggest consumers to open good info. We share info and we always get benefits from good info. Please don't keep good info secret!

Last edited:

skh821

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have made 2 double breast suits through a Baotou recently. I have been using him for quite a while and he did offer great stuff for me at a relatively cheap price. I decided to go for something different this winter and unlucky things happen.

He made my Milanese button in wrong colour due to communication mistakes!

so I just wonder if you guys know any places which can redo the Milanese button (to match with the colour of my suit) and can this be done in an affordable price (like several hundreds?)

the Baotou also sewed a light shoulder pad on my suit, which I requested no shoulder pad is needed. Can it be removed as well?

the Baotou told me these things are hard to be reversed, but still I hope there are places which can help me on the case :( though if they are not reversible I would still wear them (that would be a waste if I leave them in the wardrobe!)
C343A96F-861C-4BEA-863C-BFA56C9A5007.jpeg

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I have made 2 double breast suits through a Baotou recently. I have been using him for quite a while and he did offer great stuff for me at a relatively cheap price. I decided to go for something different this winter and unlucky things happen.

so I just wonder if you guys know any places which can redo the Milanese button (to match with the colour of my suit) and can this be done in an affordable price (like several hundreds?)

the Baotou also sewed a light shoulder pad on my suit, which I requested no shoulder pad is needed. Can it be removed as well?

the Baotou told me these things are hard to be reversed, but still I hope there are places which can help me on the case :( though if they are not reversible I would still wear them (that would be a waste if I leave them in the wardrobe!) View attachment 1739015
I'm not an expert, but i htink the shoulder padding can be removed without hassle. Not sure about milanese button stitching.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score

the Baotou told me these things are hard to be reversed, but still I hope there are places which can help me on the case :( though if they are not reversible I would still wear them (that would be a waste if I leave them in the wardrobe!) View attachment 1739015
the best way is to ask your baotou to fix the jacket for you.
there are a few sifu for alteration in 16/F, you can ask them if they will do the job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads