• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
On another note: holiday season is coming and so is peak business season for sifus - spare extra time for your commissions

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments @prof.contingency and @PekingRoadHK . Is there any other tailor who offers unstructured jackets like Ng does? And how do you like his cut / fit?

I can't speak to unstructured items -- and I would think that they would be pretty easy for _anyone_.

About Ng sifu, honestly, his default is a bit more "classic" (if I *had* to describe it), which is fine for business and more formal suits. But Iam sure he is capable somewhat of adapting his cut (as he is still truly bespoke rather than MTM after all), but buyer beware: HK tailors are generally less flexible in that regard.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments @prof.contingency and @PekingRoadHK . Is there any other tailor who offers unstructured jackets like Ng does? And how do you like his cut / fit?
Very few sifu in HK has this kind of skills. This is extra work for sifu, they don't take this kind of special order from new customers. You need to ask them if they have time to take your order:

active sifu:
10) A) 2) Ng, 5) Wong SY, 6) K Chan,

not active sifu:
10) A) 11) retired Keung, 17) retired Yeung, Red gang: semi-retired To and Yau.

Last edited:

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Very few sifu in HK has this kind of skills. This is extra work for sifu, they don't take this kind of special order from new customers. You need to ask them if they have time to take your order:

Interesting... extra work in which sense? Sure, it may deviate from the norm -- but I am pretty sure it's a LOT less work.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Interesting... extra work in which sense? Sure, it may deviate from the norm -- but I am pretty sure it's a LOT less work.
Ng sifu explained to me, this is extra work (need more time to cut and putting things together).
I am not a tailor, I just don't understand his tailor opinions.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Def more work on the cutter's part.

With my super limited cutting knowledge (stopped after a few lessons) I'd imagine anything unlined means extra facing blocks and more careful handling of it. Without the lining, there'll be no hiding for any poorly cut facing pieces. Piping is another pain in the butt.

Just about any change to sleeveheads (with or without roping / padding, spalla camicia or not, etc), shoulder, structure and lots more means the cutter has to step out of their comfort zone (standard structured Egnlish cuts, probably) and create patterns different from what they once learned decades ago.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score

active sifu:
10) A) 2) Ng, 5) Wong SY, 6) K Chan,

not active sifu:
10) A) 11) retired Keung, 17) retired Yeung, Red gang: semi-retired To and Yau.
Don't think Keung's retired but lemme send him a message or sth. I know his default style is rather British and structured so I'd be surprised if he can make unstructured jackets.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Don't think Keung's retired but lemme send him a message or sth. I know his default style is rather British and structured so I'd be surprised if he can make unstructured jackets.
it depends if he wants to take this kind of order.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Eventually called Keung who said he doesn't make unstructured stuff.

So anyway, I decided to give Ng a try. I appreciated his honest advice against me getting something completely unstructured (it'll expose the flaws of my body ie my pudgy build). Will have my jacket made half-lined as my suiting fabric isn't long enough for inside facing (全單 in Chinese?)

Looking for sth retro this time with a higher waistline and steeper notched lapels -- will post updates later hopefully

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Are you kidding?

You are making the same trick again and again. All other people telling about Shanghai workmanship are wrong. Only you know about Shanghai workmanship, and you will never tell what you know about Shanghai workmanship.

Are you kidding? Tell us what you know about Shanghai workmanship. Or, you are just turning around and around by saying other people wrong. Of course, you will never tell. This is your trick.

We are consumers, we can always ask Yau sifu and Du sifu about their Shanghai workmanship. We will never understand about their insight tailors definition. What's the point for your secret definition?

Last edited:

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Ahem. Think we can at least *try* to strike a middle ground here.

For the record, I can't bring myself to call any sifu a bonafide red gang tailor (if they do exist in TST still). Ng even explicitly told me he himself was under the tutelage of a Guangdong-school tailor so I'd doubt he had the exact same set of qualities / insights that qualifies him as a Shanghai school-trained tailor. That's another story for another day.

My understanding is that the workshop supporting / hired by the sifu plays a pivotal role in workmanship (a factor being sewing); competent sifus alone (cutters mostly?) can't make magic if paired with a subpar sewing crew.

Then again, for people living on a rather stringent budget - for I'm unashamedly one - I salute sifus for providing me with an affordable alternative in their works.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahem. Think we can at least *try* to strike a middle ground here.

For the record, I can't bring myself to call any sifu a bonafide red gang tailor (if they do exist in TST still). Ng even explicitly told me he himself was under the tutelage of a Guangdong-school tailor so I'd doubt he had the exact same set of qualities / insights that qualifies him as a Shanghai school-trained tailor. That's another story for another day.

My understanding is that the workshop supporting / hired by the sifu plays a pivotal role in workmanship (a factor being sewing); competent sifus alone (cutters mostly?) can't make magic if paired with a subpar sewing crew.

Then again, for people living on a rather stringent budget - for I'm unashamedly one - I salute sifus for providing me with an affordable alternative in their works.
Is Ng the same one that offers you a cold beer from his mini fridge? When I spoke to him he talked about his time working at AMHC and he told me he was Shanghai tailoring trained...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads