• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
thanks you for the update @PeakingRoadHK. What else are you preparing this Fall?

I asked my baotou to do my work in low low season, thus, his staffs will have more time to work on my overcoat.

this one 720g for my overcoat:
marlingevans-undyed720g-s1005-15583-b1-jpg.1572198

this one for my trench coats:
1597087-b9c44b215995fe6b61d39785f28ce972.jpg

Last edited:

Petey

Reaction score
Thanks for your post Mr PeakingRoadHK. the Marling and evans material looks nice. How heavy is that> Can you wear it all the time from Nov to May in HK? Its sure a handsome well made natural fabric

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@Petey

720g, HK winter time has less than 10 days in January every year.
After that 10 days, HK people wear short pants in winter.

My overcoat is for traveling to the north.
If you are going to far north, 1,000g is better.

Last edited:

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
will have a fitting in early Sept, and expect the end product ready by mid Sept. sifu explained this H&S vintage gabardine fabric has water-resistant function, not water-repellent or waterproof function.
My first AMHC was a navy H&S gabardine suit, it got shinny at some areas after few years of wear.

dygital

Reaction score
@PekingRoadHK which sifu did you pick for the trench coat, and where would one go abouts to find water resistant gabardine? would be nice to have a quality trench coat made for the rain here

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@PekingRoadHK which sifu did you pick for the trench coat, and where would one go abouts to find water resistant gabardine? would be nice to have a quality trench coat made for the rain here

will post photos of finished products. I asked my sifu to take time for good work, this is still Summer. I got vintage gabardine from Golden Circle with a discount, limited choice. If you want gabardine with wide selection, go Linking and Tissura for regular price.

I never had a trench coat, this is like an experiment. Do some research first, don't limit to style of Burberry, Dunhill, Hermes, Gucci & Prada. water resistant is good for light rains only. if you want it stands in heavy rains, it should have plastic feel, not gabardine.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
My first AMHC was a navy H&S gabardine suit, it got shinny at some areas after few years of wear.

my H&S vintage gabardine is thick enough for trench coat.

the other vintage gabardine is thin enough for a suit, this one is for future.
gabardine-vintage-fabric-jpg.1572202

Last edited:

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
will post photos of finished products. I asked my sifu to take time for good work, this is still Summer. I got vintage gabardine from Golden Circle with a discount, limited choice. If you want gabardine with wide selection, go Linking and Tissura for regular price.

I never had a trench coat, this is like an experiment. Do some research first, don't limit to style of Burberry, Dunhill, Hermes, Gucci & Prada. water resistant is good for light rains only. if you want it stands in heavy rains, it should have plastic feel, not gabardine.

Traditionally, trenchcoat was made by cotton and polyester gabardine, it is more water resistant than wool.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Oh, it look like cotton or cotton mix rather than wool, my fault
My first time for a tailor made garment with gabardine fabric.

Gabardine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabardine

The original fabric was worsted wool, sometimes in combination with cotton, and was waterproofed using lanolin before weaving.[4] The fiber may also be pure cotton, texturised polyester, or a blend.

Last edited:

Petey

Reaction score
happy mid-autumn festival to all my friends on SF! Hope you are having a lovely time with your family

kieren

Reaction score
Hi all, I am back in Hong Kong after 3 years and I have gone back to Mr. Ng for another suit (brown linen), I will post pictures once it is done within the next 3 weeks.

I was just wondering if you guys know where I could get shirts done in Mirador? I am also open to any recommendations

Stanacle

Reaction score
Hi all, I am back in Hong Kong after 3 years and I have gone back to Mr. Ng for another suit (brown linen), I will post pictures once it is done within the next 3 weeks.

I was just wondering if you guys know where I could get shirts done in Mirador? I am also open to any recommendations
Literally next door to Mr. Ng has Wong sifu. Highly recommended!

If you are getting TM, he can source the fabrics for you without any mark-up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads