• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Fung told me he cuts suits closer to the wearer's body by default, something that sifus before his generation usually don't do. This makes for cleaner chest / armholes.

And IIRC the tailor is in the same workshop so Fung could directly communicate with him. This saves courier fees and may be why his suits are relatively cheap (and most certainly cheaper than the newly-relicated Ben's Tailor round the corner on 11/F).

@PekingRoadHK, have you heard of a shirt tailor called Wing (榮) on 8/F? Can PM you his details when I get my one-piece collar shirt from him.

Petey

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by “contemporary French”. Mind telling me more? As in a more nipped in waist? Cut close to the body? Roped shoulders? If that's the case, my gut feeling is that Fung may be of help

Yes. Rope shoulders, nip waist and a slight wide lapel

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
I see. Let me talk to Fung when I pick up my suit and see if he understands your requirements. Maybe you've have to insist on getting roped shoulders since he may predict what you may want in a jacket (in fact, I asked him for slanted pockets and got regular flapped...)

Petey

Reaction score
I see. Let me talk to Fung when I pick up my suit and see if he understands your requirements. Maybe you've have to insist on getting roped shoulders since he may predict what you may want in a jacket (in fact, I asked him for slanted pockets and got regular flapped...)

Thanks WB. Ive always wanted to have a suit like Cifonelli and hope to have something that is close to it

Now I have to find myself some nice high twist fabric. I usually get my fabric here. But find that its slowly getting beyond my budget. https://artextilestore.com/ Any good suggestion? I like four season fabric because I dont need to have warm winter fabric. Thanks Bro

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Thanks WB. Ive always wanted to have a suit like Cifonelli and hope to have something that is close to it

Now I have to find myself some nice high twist fabric. I usually get my fabric here. But find that its slowly getting beyond my budget. https://artextilestore.com/ Any good suggestion? I like four season fabric because I dont need to have warm winter fabric. Thanks Bro
I've PMd you -- hope it helps

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@Warrant_Buffet

Please let me know more baotou and fabric suppliers, I will verify them b4 I update my blog. thanks.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Where to find Fintex, apart from the limited stock in Kwong Hing?

Perhaps they got a new wholesaler in HKSAR?

Attachments

• 2B32269B-6633-43C4-BC0E-D8A6E5A7C058.png
    2B32269B-6633-43C4-BC0E-D8A6E5A7C058.png
    872.4 KB · Views: 99
  • C5A093A7-1EF2-44DE-AE08-CF172BB0B9BB.png
    C5A093A7-1EF2-44DE-AE08-CF172BB0B9BB.png
    931.4 KB · Views: 100

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@Warrant_Buffet

Keung sifu has similar background to Cheung sifu of 5/F and other semi-retired / retired tailors. They work at home and go Mirador to take orders once awhile.

@Gatsby

Traveling crossing borders is not easy for the moment. The following sifu are stuck in shenzhen due to COVID-19: Ko sifu, Cao sifu and Mao sifu's tailor are now working in their Shenzhen workshops and Lee sifu of 5/F.

You can ask Lee sifu if he wants to take order in Shenzhen if you are located in Shenzhen.

@shirtingfantasy

last year, the wholesaler explained Kwong Hing has the best collection of Fintex. This year, the same wholesaler refused to say a word.

@dukenukem4ever

no one can update everything all time. they are moving within the building every year. you got their cell phone number, you can call them before you go.

Last edited:

dygital

Reaction score
Went to see Wong SY today to pick up some pants. I'm sure PekingRoad already knows, but Wong and Lok are moving to the 4th floor sometime in the next week or two.

btw* for those giving Wong multiple pieces of fabric...make sure he writes down which is which. He mixed up my drapers and linen so the cloth tags dont match.... (not that it matters too much for pants but it is still annoying..)

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
A few tailors prefer to update their new price after Chinese new year. They will look for new spaces in the same building (expecting lower rental) after Chinese new year. I will update their info when they are ready.

This is my new 4 inch collar shirt and the paper pattern made by Wong sifu (Wing). The paper pattern is for future when I want to have the same made. He explained 4 pcs paper is the standard.

cost:
China Cotton HK$80/yard X 1.8yard from Regent Silk = HK$144
Workmanship (made in Shenzhen), cutting by Wong sifu (Wing) = HK$130
Total = HK$274

Hot water soaking for an hour before cutting, this is my first time I hear from a HK$130 sifu's standard procedure, I cannot verify if this is true.

Attachments

• 4 inch collar shirt.JPG
    4 inch collar shirt.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 73
  • paper pattern, shirt.JPG
    paper pattern, shirt.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Ambroise

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just arrived in HK, where I will stay for 6 months.
I have some sartorial experience in France and Italy (buy fabric on my own, provide it to tailors etc.) so I am really interested to try it here, even though I will need someone to translate.
I think I will first define precisely what I want and visit after Chinese New year when it’s calmer.
I am going to read the info from this thread as well as your blog PekingRoad. From my understanding everyone is trying different Baotou, which makes sense as they all have they own style, but is there some Baotou that you particularly recommend ?

Thank you for all the information you have shared

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads