• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

boot_owl

Reaction score
Fitting garment from Original80s, based on their standard Medium size with longer sleeves.

I decided to size up to Large with the waist somewhere between an M and L.

I've also ordered in some Shinki veg horsehide in a medium brown to CMT.
1599579541589.png

IMG_E2713.JPG
IMG_E2717.JPG
IMG_E2714.JPG

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Fitting garment from Original80s, based on their standard Medium size with longer sleeves.

I've also ordered in some Shinki veg horsehide in a medium brown to CMT.

img_e2717-jpg.1454722

just my opinion, should have longer sleeves. wrinkles will shorten the sleeves length, especially horsehide and cowhide leathers.

lambskin character, softer, lighter. wrinkles will shorten the sleeves length less.
horsehide and cowhide leathers character, harder, heavier. wrinkles will shorten the sleeves length more.

If the leather is thick, the leather is like more hard rock, cutting should be more loose for comfort means.

Last edited:

boot_owl

Reaction score
just my opinion, should have longer sleeves. wrinkles will shorten the sleeves, especially horse hide and cowhide leathers.

I agree, and had it increased by half an inch for the final jacket. Combined with the slightly wider shoulder, hopefully that will be enough

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@boot_owl

I would make it more loose for long term wearing. Leather jackets last long, especially horsehide and cowhide leathers.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score

I've also ordered in some Shinki veg horsehide in a medium brown to CMT. View attachment 1454724

View attachment 1454721 View attachment 1454722 View attachment 1454723
May I ask how much you spent on the leather and CMT separately? I was looking for horsehide / cordovan in HK but boy is it expensive...

boot_owl

Reaction score
May I ask how much you spent on the leather and CMT separately? I was looking for horsehide / cordovan in HK but boy is it expensive...

$3680 for CMT including custom measurements, standard pattern, fitting garment, and shipping to Australia. CMT is a $1200 discount from their cowhide price.

I ordered 45 sqft of the Shinki horsehide from Hashimoto Leather in japan for just under ¥50k including shipping and splitting. Definitely not cheap - some makers in HK have their own horse hides from Italy for quite a bit cheaper.

@boot_owl

I would make it more loose for long term wearing. Leather jackets last long, especially horsehide and cowhide leathers.

I agree, that’s why I sized up. I’ve also asked for some extra material to be left at the seams to allow for alteration.

dygital

Reaction score
@shirtingfantasy or others, does anyone know if its possible to re-dye suede shoes? I have a pair in light brown that I want to have dyed into a darker brown.

Does anyone have a recommendation for which person to go?

dygital

Reaction score
Also, does anyone have a source for Carlo Riva or Monti fabric either in HK or online?

boot_owl

Reaction score
@shirtingfantasy or others, does anyone know if its possible to re-dye suede shoes? I have a pair in light brown that I want to have dyed into a darker brown.

Does anyone have a recommendation for which person to go?

100% possible. You could try purchasing a cheap pair to try on if you enjoy some DIY

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Last edited:

boot_owl

Reaction score

I've also ordered in some Shinki veg horsehide in a medium brown to CMT. View attachment 1454724

View attachment 1454721 View attachment 1454722 View attachment 1454723

Final garment received. Increased size in a few places from the fitting, left some the same.

Shinki Hikaku standard veg tanned horsehide in brown. Jacket by Original80s

openfront.JPG
openleft.JPG
openback.JPG
closedfront.JPG
closedleft.JPG
closedback.JPG

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing!! Makes me want to get something made. Curious why you went with Original 80s as opposed to some of the other Leather Jacket makers?

boot_owl

Reaction score
Amazing!! Makes me want to get something made. Curious why you went with Original 80s as opposed to some of the other Leather Jacket makers?

I only contacted them and Kam Ma - Kam Ma was significantly more expensive. O80 had both the design i wanted on instagram and were very responsive on fb/whatsapp with great English.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads