• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Saviero Textiles. They have some house fabric at that price range. Guess they are woven for them by Asian mills. See @PekingRoadHK ’s blog for address.

The brand-mimics like “Scantex” or “Milano” are also in this range.

Their synthetic content aside, fabric in this price range are usually quite robust. Many HKD 2999/ suit tailors and their clients love these fabric.

Royal_Airforce

Reaction score
@PekingRoadHK Hi Peking Road - I vaguely recall seeing you posted somewhere that there is a shop selling English horse hair canvas in Hong Kong, but I could not find it either in SF or your blogs after a careful search. May you please kindly advise?

Thanks v much!

Edit: Found it, it's Linking Trading in TST, who can help order English horse hair canvas. But they don't carry inventories.

Last edited:

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@PekingRoadHK Hi Peking Road - I vaguely recall seeing you posted somewhere that there is a shop selling English horse hair canvas in Hong Kong, but I could not find it either in SF or your blogs after a careful search. May you please kindly advise?

Thanks v much!

Edit: Found it, it's Linking Trading in TST, who can help order English horse hair canvas. But they don't carry inventories.

Is there a huge difference between English Canvas vs China canvas performance / quality wise? Would getting Chinese canvas significantly lessen the quality or construction of a suit? Not being snarky, I seriously want to know if there is a material difference.

Royal_Airforce

Reaction score
@dukenukem4ever
Not really sure - I have no personal experience on any of such difference, being not in the trade or a regular customer commissioning a lot using different canvasses.

One of the reasons I was asking about English canvas was also that I wanted to check them out and be able to feel the difference with my hands : )

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dukenukem4ever
Not really sure - I have no personal experience on any of such difference, being not in the trade or a regular customer commissioning a lot using different canvasses.

One of the reasons I was asking about English canvas was also that I wanted to check them out and be able to feel the difference with my hands : )

Nice, gives me someting more to customize my next CMT suit. Please share with us know your thoughts on british canvas vs chinese canvas if you can get your hands on any.

Memo

Reaction score
Gents, Huddersfield Textiles is running a promotion. FYI.

Memo

Reaction score
96453FC0-2AE9-4FCC-BE2D-22612A2F533A.png

It doesn’t state the actual discount though.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score

Thanks v much!

it's there:

11) suit fabric
11) Linking Trading
can order British canvas

14) Buttons, Lining, Canvas, Services for tailors
Canvas
Linking Trading: British canvas
Kam May: Korea canvas
-----------------------------------------
there are too many things in the garment industry. there is no way any shop that can keep everything in stock, especially we got limited space in HK.

you have to order it through the agent.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Is there a huge difference between English Canvas vs China canvas performance / quality wise? Would getting Chinese canvas significantly lessen the quality or construction of a suit? Not being snarky, I seriously want to know if there is a material difference.
British canvas Vs China canvas
British canvas has better hand feel and softer.
Both stands very well.

thesupremegrape

Reaction score
I am aware that when you go to the baotou you have to make all the design choices without any input. However, will they suggest the fit e.g. if its too loose, if your shoulders are sloped etc. or will I have to point this out as well?

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am aware that when you go to the baotou you have to make all the design choices without any input. However, will they suggest the fit e.g. if its too loose, if your shoulders are sloped etc. or will I have to point this out as well?

They will make sure to use their years of experience to point out areas to fix during the basted fitting (the part where you see a bunch of temporary thread sewed throughout the suit, just temporary). Of course, they have their own style and perspective as to what looks "good" but they will make you look pretty standard, and then if you want to make any more changes, just let them know. For example, with Ng Sifu, I told him that I wanted a pretty British-style cut with a bit more open quarters and just light padding on the shoulders, not too much. During basted fitting, he was pinning me up in places he (with his trained eyes) thought needed to be fixed (sometimes you just have to trust the sifu, they'll see things you can't see). My pants, width was great (not too slim because I have big thighs so needed it to be quite athletic cut but tapered towards the opening) but the length was a bit too long, I wanted more of a slight, quarter break but they were long enough to be a full break, so I noted that for him. Then, for the jacket, I wanted the sleeves to be shortened ever so slightly, so he pinned that part up too. Looking in the mirror, I also thought we had enough room to suppress the waist just a bit more without creating the dreaded "X" mark that you see all too often in fashion magazines or websites (again, I was going for a more conservative, but slight modern look. Fitted, but not skin tight basically). He noted, "Oh, so you know your stuff, yeah, you don't want to have that "X" there, I see way too many young kids come to me these days and they just want to wear skin tight suits. Not my style, but they like it, so I do what they want." haha... anyway, so, he pinned that part up until I told him I was satisfied with the waist suppression. I also told him about how the shoulders felt a little tight, like someone was "pulling down on my jacket" so he made notes of what to fix there.

Anyway, that's kind of the process. A good sifu should be able to see and note down / pin the most absolutely necessary fixes during the basted fitting. Then, it's up to you to tell the sifu what else you want to alter. Bring some photos of people wearing suits that you would like to shoot for during initial and basted fitting to give you and the sifu some sort of guide.

A really sh**ty thing would be if the tailor / sifu did not mark places that need to be fixed (one friend of mine was a rookie to suiting, the tailor shop associate in charge of fitting never marked the shoulder divots / wrinkling that needed to be fixed, when he got the final product and wore it, some of his mates pointed it out to him... don't be that guy).

dygital

Reaction score
In case anyone was looking for Lok, he is in Hong Kong but he said things won't be ready for a while. As mentioned previously, the suit I had ordered in late November with a fitting in late December won't be ready until probably early March.

Has anyone commissioned anything in the last month or two? Would love to see some reviews during this complicated time

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads