• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
But I understand most BaoTou will not handle shipping suits to customers and don't speak english? Any of them as a matter of practice allow customer to send fabric and jacket to copy?

from my understanding, they don't do mail order, and most of them don't speak English.
you need to have someone to handle the situation in HK.

tailor shops can provide you this kind of service. you better deal with a tailor shop in this situation.

dygital

Reaction score
@PekingRoadHK Do you know any baotou who can do polo shirts? Want to have something made, similar to the Ascot Chang Polo that they sell at The Armoury

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@PekingRoadHK Do you know any baotou who can do polo shirts? Want to have something made, similar to the Ascot Chang Polo that they sell at The Armoury
I never ask any shirt baotou if they can make polo shirts. From my understanding, making a polo shirt is much easier than making a dressing shirt. I suppose all shirt baotou can make polo shirt when they got the right fabrics and materials. You need to talk to shirt baotou directly, some baotou runs their own shirt factories, thus, they must have some resources to make polo shirt. The question is if they want to take the order.

I found all shirt baotou charging between HK$130 and HK$200 are just almost the same. The most important thing is the right fitting. Just made a few shirts:
Mirador shirt baotou workmanship: HK$130/shirt
shirt cotton fabric cost: HK$80/yard X1.8yard = HK$144/shirt
total = HK$274/shirt
It takes about 10 days to make a shirt (including logistics time).

Attachments

• shirt.JPG
    shirt.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 77
  • shirt...JPG
    shirt...JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Just have a biker leather jacket made by a retired leather jacket sifu living in Fanling, Hong Kong.

Italian goat leather from a TST leather fabric shop: HK$1.5k (47foot), actaully 40foot is good enough for a biker.
Zippers and cotton lining: less than HK$200.
Workmanship: HK$1k (made in HK).
Total: HK$2.7k

The most important thing is to pick the right fabric, and to make sure the right position of zippers during the fitting process.

Attachments

• biker jacket.jpg
    biker jacket.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 59
  • biker jacket..jpg
    biker jacket..jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 224
  • biker jacket...JPG
    biker jacket...JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 90
  • biker jacket....JPG
    biker jacket....JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the prices for Anthology bespoke and MTM in HK nowadays? Trying to figure out their trunkshow upcharge rate.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
my new 3pcs suit, British fabric, British cut.

Attachments

• Yates vintage fabric.JPG
    Yates vintage fabric.JPG
    495.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Stanacle

Reaction score
I never ask any shirt baotou if they can make polo shirts. From my understanding, making a polo shirt is much easier than making a dressing shirt. I suppose all shirt baotou can make polo shirt when they got the right fabrics and materials. You need to talk to shirt baotou directly, some baotou runs their own shirt factories, thus, they must have some resources to make polo shirt. The question is if they want to take the order.

I found all shirt baotou charging between HK$130 and HK$200 are just almost the same. The most important thing is the right fitting. Just made a few shirts:
Mirador shirt baotou workmanship: HK$130/shirt
shirt cotton fabric cost: HK$80/yard X1.8yard = HK$144/shirt
total = HK$274/shirt
It takes about 10 days to make a shirt (including logistics time).
which sifu made the shirts in the photos?

Stanacle

Reaction score
picked a few pcs shirt fabrics lately:
1) Regent Silk: China cotton, around HK$80/yard
2) Nita Fashions (Mody Rd): Egyptian cotton, around HK$80/yard
How do you feel about the Egyptian cotton in comparison with the China cotton?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@Stanacle

#1323 shirt photos, that's work of Lam sifu.

For these years, I have tried a few shirt baotou in Mirador. I think fitting and cutting of shirt collar are the most important. For details, I think most are just almost the same, except Wong MH sifu making most details, but he is charging more than others, that's what we are paying for.

For the fitting, I feel good with Wong MH sifu, Mak sifu, and Lam sifu. Mak sifu is making a bit more detail than Lam sifu, their prices explained. For the cutting of shirt collar, these 3 are good to me.

I have not yet tried Wong sifu at 4/F, Chan sifu, B&C, and a few HK sifu at 4/F. There are too many, I can never try all. I am NOT happy with Wing sifu, Cam sifu, Wong sifu (young sifu), Ma sifu.

I got about 10 new shirts since June this year (didn't count), not yet wearing Egyptian cotton shirts. I feel better with Egyptian cotton by hand feel. I am a walk-in customer of Nita Fashions (Mody Rd), and I paid HK$80/yard. I saw tailors paid HK$60/yard for the same Egyptian cotton. This Nita is keeing all fabrics in their Hunghom warehouse, I need to wait for next day delivery after ordering.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
For those who plan to make a leather jacket, these are my experiences:

1) picking the right leather is very important. different types of leather have different characters, and this will effect the style and character of your leather jacket. if you can't find the right leather from the top 3 leather suppliers in HK (2 in TST, 1 in SSP), wait for their next shipment in about 3/4 months. they are importing high grade leathers from Italy and Spain every 3/4 months. make sure you pick your leather for leather jackets, but NOT leather for handbags or sofa (those suppliers are trading with high class brands of various).

it's like picking the right fabric for your suits and overcoat, different fabrics for different characters.

2) for the style, zipper size is always size 8.

3) google your leather jacket style and show it to your leather jacket tailor. make sure you got the right length of your jacket, right position and length of zippers, right cut of collar, etc.

4) this is the usual practice of leather jacket tailors for tailor shops: 1 week for fitting, and 1 week for finished products. we are casual customers, and we might wait for a few more extra days.

5) the famous top 4 leather jacket tailors in HK offer almost the same skill, but the most famous one is charging much higher than the other 3. the number 5 famous leather jacket tailor in HK offers unique skill and workmanship for high price for people with special needs, ordinary end users don't need this kind of high skill tailor.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
This is my new suit, Scabal Capri, Italian cut:

Attachments

• ScabalCapri..JPG
    ScabalCapri..JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 56
  • ScabalCapri1..jpg
    ScabalCapri1..jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 59
  • ScabalCapri2..jpg
    ScabalCapri2..jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 59
  • ScabalCapri4..jpg
    ScabalCapri4..jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 49
  • ScabalCapri5..jpg
    ScabalCapri5..jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 43
  • ScabalCapri6..jpg
    ScabalCapri6..jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 74
  • ScabalCapri8..jpg
    ScabalCapri8..jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 72

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads