• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most of the workshops in the Mainland are not at work right now due to the coronavirus.

Called Ng Sifu yesterday for a friend of mine; he's stuck in SZ and can't / won't come down to HK due to the mandatory 14 day quarantine.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Most Baotou are living in HK, some live in Shenzhen.

Shenzhen labour come from all provinces, they are stuck in their home provinces after Chinese new year. They are not allowed to leave their home districts in their home provinces. It means all Shenzhen workshops are closed for the moment.

For consumers who need suits and shirts in February, we can make orders with those with local sifu / local workshops connections. It means made in HK.

Before the situation goes back to normal, I won't make any order.

Last edited:

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really hoping the situation turns better before it turns worse. Some of the Baotou depends on tailoring to make their living, it's got to be tough with the factories and workshops closed.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been working with a tailor in Shandong. Between CNY and the virus outbreak I've had an order stuck for 5 weeks.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where Mao Sifu is located in Mirador? PekingRoadHK's blog mentioned it's on the 6th floor but did not mention a specific workshop / apartment number. Wondering if anyone knows... @PekingRoadHK ???? Trying to get a suit that's "cut and sewn" in HK since China workshops are all closed at the moment.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Anyone know where Mao Sifu is located in Mirador? PekingRoadHK's blog mentioned it's on the 6th floor but did not mention a specific workshop / apartment number. Wondering if anyone knows... @PekingRoadHK ???? Trying to get a suit that's "cut and sewn" in HK since China workshops are all closed at the moment.
Mao Sifu said he outsources everything to Shenzhen workshops, therefore, same situation. He can do fitting in HK and send the fabrics to Shenzhen workshops, but he can't go Shenzhen to monitor the work while labour is not stable in this period, it means high risk.

I won't do a thing in February. Hopefully, things will go back to normal in March. Things don't look good in this period.

China labour come from all provinces, they are not allowed to leave their home districts of their hometown for the moment. Workshops / factories for garments and textile are closed. Only those factories for medical supplies and pharmacy are planning to open soon. iphone factory and large factories for consumer products are waiting for government approval to open.

1) factories / workshops for garment manufacturing are still closed, labour are still in their hometown.
2) sifu living in HK have the same situation as sifu living in Shenzhen. They have to go Shenzhen workshops to monitor the work. Once they go Shenzhen, they have to be separated for 14 days when they come HK.

For urgent orders, you can only look for sifu for made in HK. I would wait for awhile.

Last edited:

dygital

Reaction score
Thought I would chime in a bit. The situation is probably going to get worse until it gets better. Apparently there was a case of corona virus in one of the motels in Mirador last year, so it is probably better to avoid.

I had been meaning to go visit Wong Sifu (the shirtmaker) to get a button redone as it had cracked but I probably won't be visiting anytime soon... As a side note, does anyone know a place to source 3mm or 3.5mm buttons without a large minimum order? I know @shirtingfantasy gets them from Yiu Wah but the minimum order is quite high. I ask because the 4mm buttons I've been using are starting to chip, or sometimes the hand stitching isn't done very well so the shank gets loose/too long after one or two washes.

Also, Lok still has one of my jackets where I did a first fitting at the end of December, but I haven't heard anything from him since. I had sent him a whatsapp message about a week ago and haven't heard anything back...

@PekingRoadHK do you know if non bao tou in HK would be affected by recent events? I had been meaning to try out Dream Bespoke but don't know if they outsource to Mainland or if they primarily do work in HK.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I would chime in a bit. The situation is probably going to get worse until it gets better. Apparently there was a case of corona virus in one of the motels in Mirador last year, so it is probably better to avoid.

I had been meaning to go visit Wong Sifu (the shirtmaker) to get a button redone as it had cracked but I probably won't be visiting anytime soon... As a side note, does anyone know a place to source 3mm or 3.5mm buttons without a large minimum order? I know @shirtingfantasy gets them from Yiu Wah but the minimum order is quite high. I ask because the 4mm buttons I've been using are starting to chip, or sometimes the hand stitching isn't done very well so the shank gets loose/too long after one or two washes.

Also, Lok still has one of my jackets where I did a first fitting at the end of December, but I haven't heard anything from him since. I had sent him a whatsapp message about a week ago and haven't heard anything back...

@PekingRoadHK do you know if non bao tou in HK would be affected by recent events? I had been meaning to try out Dream Bespoke but don't know if they outsource to Mainland or if they primarily do work in HK.

Oh man you're kidding? There was a case of coronavirus in Mirador Mansion? Thought they would have shut that entire building down by now. I didn't see the story published on SCMP lol...

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a side note, does anyone know a place to source 3mm or 3.5mm buttons without a large minimum order?

I buy my MOP buttons here. I don't know how many you would consider to be bulk, but I'm assuming you're not looking to buy one at a time...

They do international shipping if you don't mind. But I also read somewhere that USPS can't guarantee delivery timeframe to HK due to flight cancellations / restrictions at the moment. If they use UPS / FedEx maybe but it'll be pricier shipping.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
This is the news, 16/F Mirador Mansion, TST.

Woman catches Wuhan virus in Hong Kong: sources
1 Confirmed Wuhan Virus Case in SZ Is Female Patient Once Stayed in Tsim Sha Tsui's Guesthouse

Last edited:

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score

You can buy a dozen from Yiu Wah. The minimum is not huge. Just contact them on Facebook - one of their bosses who graduated in London is responsible for the e-commerce side, and he is a very reasonable person to deal with. On the other hand Wong does have a stock of 4 mm buttons if you ask him.

SF Express is operating normally in HK. You can send your fabric to makers and get garments back this way. As long as you wash your clothes after you receive them from your tailor (I always do; some local makers’ garments always smell of cigarette), the virus can’t affect you.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@dygital

made in Shenzhen: some sifu / labour are stuck in their home town.
made in HK: all sifu / labour living in HK, no problem at all.
not sure about Dream Bespoke, made in Shenzhen? made in HK?

heard Lok sifu home town is Zhejiang province, east of Wuhan Hubei province. he might be stuck in his hometown. no WhatsApp connection in mainland China.

@dukenukem4ever

A few uncles of Red gang 7/F 16/F (made in HK and made in Shenzhen), they are ex colleagues of Ng sifu (made in Shenzhen). They all worked for the most expensive bespokes in HK decades ago, and these bespokes cost min $30k for a decent suit (made in HK) in 2020. All these sifu got similar background, but I am not sure if they can update themselves for modern thread. I haven't tried them yet.

Jim sifu 12/F, Cheung sifu of 5/F 11/F, Mao sifu 6/F, they are made in Shenzhen.

This is how Mao sifu group works. His HK staffs do all the cutting and fitting in HK. His Shenzhen staffs do all works in Shenzhen. They don't go across the border for the moment, thus, they are still working.

I guess things will go back to normal in March or April. "Made in Shenzhen" will be back soon.

Things to concern in February:
1) fabrics passing through the border and the customs, sifu and labour in Shenzhen are worrying virus on these fabrics;
2) any problem might shut down their workshops by the government in no time;
3) some sifu and labour are still out town, it means skilled workers might not be available for the moment;
4) some workshops in Shenzhen are still closed for the moment;

I would wait for awhile.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
both are fine, it's a matter of taste and needs. Uncle tailors can do uncle cutting fine, good uncle tailors should be able to do modern cuttings.
1581691636168.png

1581691894223.png

Last edited:

Nara_Deer

Reaction score
Hello, does anyone knows where which company carries Carlo Barbera High Twist fabric? Thanks. I made a pair of trousers at a tailor shop last year and would like to make a jacket and vest at Mirador to finish the set.

67699555_2526546517631956_1524351139653353472_n.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads