• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

dukenukem4ever

Reaction score
@PekingRoadHK So between Ng, Mao and Lok which would you recommend? I've tried Ng and Lok and am happier with Lok but would definitely give Ng a second try given how you say he is actually the cutter and doesn't outsource.

Is Mao worth trying if I explicitly ask for his best cutter in SZ? or same thing with Lok, if I asked Lok for his best cutter?
I feel like members of this entire thread look to PekingRoadHK for advice / recommendations, even though he explicitly and repeatedly stated he cannot recommend or advise anyone which specific Baotou to go to haha... but yeah he's the person who opened Pandora's box for I'm sure many people.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@PekingRoadHK So between Ng, Mao and Lok which would you recommend? I've tried Ng and Lok and am happier with Lok but would definitely give Ng a second try given how you say he is actually the cutter and doesn't outsource.

Is Mao worth trying if I explicitly ask for his best cutter in SZ? or same thing with Lok, if I asked Lok for his best cutter?
I don't recommend BaoTou. I will never try all BaoTou, therefore, I cannot make a ranking for all BaoTou. Everyone has different needs and taste. There is not no guarantee which BaoTou best for everyone. You pick your BaoTou according to your own needs. You like that one, then, that one is your BaoTou. No need to follow others.

#598 tells background of different BaoTou. They all have their secrets in their Shenzhen workshops, and they will never tell others. Some of them might use the same outsource workshop and sifu. Lok will say he is the best cutter and the best sifu in HK and Shenzhen, and he will say he never outsource his work. He sees you like X tailor shop and their house cut, then, he says he is the BaoTou for X tailor shop. Whatever you like, he will say he is the one behind that. He said he comes from Ningbo, Ningbo is close to Shanghai, therefore, his work is original Shanghai workmanship, other people are not Shanghai workmanship. This is how he defined Shanghai workmanship. That's his way to take orders.

My blog says: "I suggest local consumers to pick those with (old HK) rather than those without (old HK)."

Last edited:

Inmystyle

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has a contact for a buttons and trimmings place in America Hk or China mainland

thanks!

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has a contact for a buttons and trimmings place in America Hk or China mainland

thanks!
Would like to know this as well

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
My blog tells many places for garment and accessories in Chinese already. This is the English version:

1) Local HK consumers and HK BaoTou tailors usually go Sham Shui Po for buttons, trimmings and all garment related things. There are a few retail shops side by side in Nam Cheong Street area. yellow page: All Category > Clothing & Accessories, Textiles > Clothing Manufacturing Accessories > Buttons & Buckles
http://www.yp.com.hk/Clothing-Accessories-Textiles-b/Clothing-Manufacturing-Accessories/Buttons-Buckles/p1/en/

2) Local Shenzhen consumers and Shenzhen tailors usually go 東門 Dongmen fabric market for all garment related things. #422 #424 shows photos and details for Dongmen fabric market, 4 retail shopping malls side by side: https://shenzhenshopper.com/8-dongmen-market.html . For those who look for suit factories and suit workshops in mainland China, either located in Shenzhen or from other provinces, you can go to the top floor of the building of #424, there are representatives from a few suit factories and a few suit workshops waiting for you. You can deal with them face to face directly without BaoTou from HK.

3) Factory people of all industrial manufacturing usually go 華南城 China South City in Shenzhen. It's factory outlets, warehouse outlets, exhibition halls. It's a few buildings of 2.6 million square meter for all kinds of raw materials including all garment related things: https://www.csc86.com/

4) 廣州十三行 Thirteen Factories or Thirteen Hongs of Canton in Guangzhou, this is the center of southern China for all kinds of product for over 200 years. This is a part of China history. Business people and consumers are still going here everyday for all kinds of garment related things, and this is still the center in 21st century now: https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201301/08/P201301070517.htm
We watch movies of Wong Fei Hung 黃飛鴻, this is the background history, the Ching (Qing) Dynasty 清朝.

5) 增城 Zengcheng (Tsang Shing) in Guangzhou, this is the world biggest jeans manufacturing center. Like any other garment manufacturers, these production people are taking their products to the above "Thirteen Hongs" to sell to the world.

6) This factory, Sharmoon from Wenzhou city is famous. They produce suits for world class brand names. You want more choice, search www.made-in-china.com/ . Meet them face to face: www.cantonfair.org.cn/en/map/map.html Phase 3 for all kinds of garment and accessories.

7) 深圳華強北 Huaqiang North in Shenzhen, a few buildings of 200,000 square meter with around 10,000 mini shops and warehouses, for all kinds of electronic components and electronic consumer products here! These sales people are like warehouse people (logistics people), they sell hardwares only, they don't know softwares. This is the heart of Shenzhen hi tech corps. People from hi tech corps and startup are coming here everyday to buy components to custom made (sample made) drones , robots, smart phones , battery electric vehicles, IoT products, etc.

For suits shirts and leather jackets, button and trimming things can be found in Sham Shui Po. For my leather jacket, I prefer RiRi zipper instead of YKK. RiRi (HK) explained they don't supply to retailers. I ordered one RiRi zipper through their Shanghai agent to ship to me in HK.

Last edited:

rdhui2002

Reaction score
Peking road,
Thanks for all the info, It made me to come to HK to make a suit .

I'm trying to buy this fabric, and this is from fox brothers. Any idea who sells it in hk?

If not , could u recommend the same pattern from different fabric companies I can buy in hk ?
Thanks

Attachments

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Peking road,
Thanks for all the info, It made me to come to HK to make a suit .

I'm trying to buy this fabric, and this is from fox brothers. Any idea who sells it in hk?

If not , could u recommend the same pattern from different fabric companies I can buy in hk ?
Thanks
color: brown, pattern: prince of wales check

Merino Brothers in TST is the agent in HK for fox brothers .

All fabric brands offer similar color and similar pattern, British brands and Italian brands.

If you are looking for this color and this pattern with no preference of fox brothers, just look at any brand, they all offer similar color and similar pattern. You like British brands, you check British brands.

Last edited:

rdhui2002

Reaction score
color: brown, pattern: prince of wales check

Merino Brothers in TST is the agent in HK for fox brothers .

All fabric brands offer similar color and similar pattern, British brands and Italian brands.

If you are looking for this color and this pattern with no preference of fox brothers, just look at any brand, they all offer similar color and similar pattern. You like British brands, you check British brands.
Do u think it would be overpriced to get it from them ?
Besides scabal, Holland sherry and doremueil that you mentioned. Which fabric do you think are of the same quality ? One of the fabric guys recommended e Thomas to me , having a similar pattern .

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Besides scabal, Holland sherry and doremueil that you mentioned. Which fabric do you think are of the same quality ? One of the fabric guys recommended e Thomas to me , having a similar pattern .
I don't suggest fabrics for over HK$1k/yard. That's why Merino Brothers is not on my blog list.

British brands made in England: Scabal, Huddersfield Fine Worsteds, Holland & Sherry, Dormeuil, Fox brothers, Dugdale Bros, etc.
British brands made in Italy: Scabal, Huddersfield Fine Worsteds

You want similar quality British fabrics (made in England) for low price, try Dugdale Bros, Huddersfield Fine Worsteds, Huddersfield Cloth.
1) Huddersfield Fine Worsteds, 2) Huddersfield Cloth, they are 2 different brands.

ok quality British fabric (made in England) for even lower price: Charles Clayton

If you are located outside HK, you might find an agent in your home country that offers British fabric for lower price. You might get good British fabrics for even lower price through a few British fabric online shops, e.g. Dormeuil is possible.

To make it simple, you want hand feel your fabrics before you pay cash, and you want British fabric (made in England) for lowest possible price, go Artextile for Charles Clayton, or go Linking for Dugdale, or go Kwong Hing for Dormeuil. If you can find the agent for Huddersfield Cloth, talk to them.

If you like Italian brands, go long wear for Drago or Reda, good quality Italian fabrics (made in Italy), good price.

e Thomas is not a British brand. I don't know e Thomas https://www.styleforum.net/threads/ethomas-fabric.232409/ , https://www.ethomas.com/

If you just want the color and the pattern, go for Italian brands. I guess e Thomas is not expensive, should be ok. So, you can pick e Thomas or Drago or Reda.

Last edited:

rdhui2002

Reaction score
I don't suggest fabrics for over HK$1k/yard. That's why Merino Brothers is not on my blog list.

British brands made in England: Scabal, Huddersfield Fine Worsteds, Holland & Sherry, Dormeuil, Fox brothers, Dugdale Bros, etc.
British brands made in Italy: Scabal, Huddersfield Fine Worsteds

You want similar quality British fabrics (made in England) for low price, try Dugdale Bros, Huddersfield Fine Worsteds, Huddersfield Cloth.
1) Huddersfield Fine Worsteds, 2) Huddersfield Cloth, they are 2 different brands.

ok quality British fabric (made in England) for even lower price: Charles Clayton

If you are located outside HK, you might find an agent in your home country that offers British fabric for lower price. You might get good British fabrics for even lower price through a few British fabric online shops, e.g. Dormeuil is possible.

To make it simple, you want hand feel your fabrics before you pay cash, and you want British fabric (made in England) for lowest possible price, go Artextile for Charles Clayton, or go Linking for Dugdale, or go Kwong Hing for Dormeuil. If you can find the agent for Huddersfield Cloth, talk to them.

If you like Italian brands, go long wear for Drago or Reda, good quality Italian fabrics (made in Italy), good price.

e Thomas is not a British brand. I don't know e Thomas https://www.styleforum.net/threads/ethomas-fabric.232409/ , https://www.ethomas.com/

If you just want the color and the pattern, go for Italian brands. I guess e Thomas is not expensive, should be ok. So, you can pick e Thomas or Drago or Reda.
Thanks for the info .
So in the blog u mentioned Linking carries them ? But I would have to order it from them first before getting there right? If they do have the fabrics in stock , I would go check it out

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Thanks for the info .
So in the blog u mentioned Linking carries them ? But I would have to order it from them first before getting there right? If they do have the fabrics in stock , I would go check it out
You just want the color and the pattern of #621. All brands offer similar color and similar pattern, British brands and Italian brands. You don't need British brand, Italian brand is fine.

Merino Brothers: British brands: all their brands cost over HK$1k/yard up.
Linking: British brands: Dugdale Bros, Huddersfield Fine Worsteds.
Kwong Hing: British brands: Dormeuil, Dunhill, Fintex of London
Long wear and Artextile : British brands: Charles Clayton, Italian brands: Drago, Reda, VBC, and Giorgio Vallino
e Thomas : I guess similar price of Drago

There are too many brands to choose from, and you can order your fabrics through different channels online and offline.

Last edited:

Inmystyle

Reaction score
Thanks for all the continued help!

2 questions:

1. Is there a distributor for "Ferla" in HK or China

2. What is a good distributor for a fabric lower than 19 usd per yard that still is decent .

Thanks!

Inmystyle

Reaction score
E Thomas has a-lot of jacketing patterns like that and is a-lot of times a-lot of fabrics blended such as different wools and linens.

Artextile has a new VBC Winter book of flannels which is gorgeous as well

Saviero Textiles are also a great place to buy from (which carry E thomas)

Although I don't know if these are only wholesalers or they also sell to individuals

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 75 17.0%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 146 33.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 130 29.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 2.0%