• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

Shangara

Reaction score
Hi, Mr PekingRoad, can I say Hong Kong tailor shops work with Baotou, whereas Savile Row tailor shops won’t have their corresponding Baotou, SR shops will complete the final products all by themselves? That is, they don’t source out their work?

Further, I also wish to know if it is true that the suit ‘made’ by Mirador Baotou cannot be labelled as ‘Made in Hong Kong’ because of the major manual process done in the Mainland China?

Thanks.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Hi, Mr PekingRoad, can I say Hong Kong tailor shops work with Baotou, whereas Savile Row tailor shops won’t have their corresponding Baotou, SR shops will complete the final products all by themselves? That is, they don’t source out their work?

Further, I also wish to know if it is true that the suit ‘made’ by Mirador Baotou cannot be labelled as ‘Made in Hong Kong’ because of the major manual process done in the Mainland China?

Thanks.
#1 article, 4) 2nd part explained about HK situation, as HK industry insiders explained to me. For SR situation, you better talk to SR industry insiders.

There is no label in the suit supplied by Mirador baotou. If you take a university course of international trade, you know there must be a law to define "country of origin". Every country have different trade laws and different industries have different definitions, e.g. made in swiss vs swiss made. Italian fabric mill, merino sheep farms in Australia, HK baotou cutting and fitting, Shenzhen assembly line, which country laws you want to apply? the longest time takes place in the Australian farm. What about iphone? IOS from US, chips from Taiwan, assembly line in China, you can argue if iphone is an American product or China product. I don't care, I am just a consumer.

If you say the cutting and fitting is the most important of the whole process, it is made in HK. If you say the assembly line is the most important, it is made in Shenzhen China. If you say the fabric is the most important, it is made in Italy.

I got a label "swiss made" watch (ETA 2824), assembly line in Taiwan.

Last edited:

Shangara

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I guess I know what you mean. Just thought ‘Made in Hong Kong’ sounds better.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
These are all canvas made in China. Different canvas has different characters, if your tailor (BaoTou) offers you to choose from :

canvas made in China.JPG

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I got Australian wool "Produced in China" from Dongmen fabric market (#424) for around RMB 250 per meter, 850g. The quality of this Australian wool "produced in China" is much better and more durable than China cashmere. This wool is for my new Winter jacket, full canvas.

The BaoTou did all cutting and fitting in his Hong Kong workshop. I picked up the finished product in his Shenzhen workshop, because I wanted to see how his team works on my Winter jacket:

winter jacket, grey1.JPG

For Winter jacket, peacoat, and overcoat, we can pick Australian wool or China wool of between 800g and 1,000g from Dongmen fabric market.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
On the day I picked up my Winter jacket in a BaoTou's Shenzhen workshop, I see this situation. The production manager explained this is a special order for 2 days delivery. I am not sure if this is for tailor shop customer or BaoTou customer, not sure if they will charge more to speed up the process. The photo shows 2 tailors working on the same jacket at the same time. Another tailor is working on the trousers, next to this 2 tailors. This means 3 tailors working on the suit at the same time, to speed up the process. That explains, this is possible to speed up the production time, but the production manager and the BaoTou have less time to check for QC.

1.jpg

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Please provide person name , phone number, address of the Shenzhen workshop. I plan to go there direct to save cost .
You want to save cost, don't limit yourself for Shenzhen, they come from different provinces.

To save cost and deal with factories directly, search "suit" here : https://www.made-in-china.com/. The first page shows FOB price US$30 for a 2pc suit including fabric, the 2nd page shows US$22 for a 2pc suit including fabric, US$27 for a 3pc suit including fabric, you might be able to find something cheaper in the next few pages. Ask them to arrange factory visit for you! Over 1,000 suit factories from all provinces are waiting for you! Talk to them directly, they will give you all the names, phone numbers, and addresses.

they are factories of all kinds of garment for the world, some of them are exporting suits, coats, jackets, shirts, uniforms, dresses for schools, airlines, police and fire stations, hospitals, restaurants, tailor shops, and famous fashion brands. don't limit yourself for suit, you will see a lot more. Over 100k (could be over 1 million) factories of all kinds of garment are waiting for you! You talk to them directly.

Last edited:

dennistsang

Reaction score
Hi guys! Do you know which sifu in Mirador Mansion is willing to cut safari jacket?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Hi guys! Do you know which sifu in Mirador Mansion is willing to cut safari jacket?

just don't know which suit sifu cannot cut safari jacket!

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
If you stand on consumer side , why not disclose Shenzhen workshop information on your post ? If you stand on Baotou side , it can be easily understand . From my feeling , you want to protect HK Baotou (kill HK tailor shops only).

new member, same old talks for tailor shops! did you say you want to save cost?

you are wrong. I have shown you the direction to over 1,000 workshops/factories to save cost for your tailor shops. These workshops/factories offer you much lower cost than HK BaoTou and Shenzhen workshops. Shenzhen is high cost, these workshops/factories outside Shenzhen offer you much lower cost. It kills HK BaoTou and Shenzhen workshops, it helps HK tailor shops to save cost. What are you waiting for? You got 1,000 workshops/factories to visit! You refused to go, you are actually protecting HK baotou and you are you are killing HK tailor shops.

read #422 and go #424(3/F), sales people of many garment workshops / factories are waiting for you. They are the workshop / factory people waiting for you to help your tailor shops to save cost. They will kill all HK BaoTou.

go across the border, 5/F Luohu Commerical City (Lo Wu Shopping Plaza) in Shenzhen. someone from HK tailor shops and BaoTou told me they don't make suit anymore, they collect orders in HK, and they pass the work to 5/F Lo Wu Shopping Plaza. Around 50 garment workers at 5/F, charging RMB 500 per suit, same day delivery. They are waiting for you.

I told you already, too many directions for China workshops / factories to save cost for your HK tailor shops. This info is killing HK baotou and shenzhen workshops. What are you waiting for ? You refused to go , you refused to save cost for your tailor shops. Don't blame others, blame yourself for not dealing with workshops/factories directly.

No one has the responsibility to protect your interest. No one is responsible to teach you how to run your business. You refused to deal with workshops/factories directly, you can't save cost. This is the reality. We, consumers share info to protect the interest of consumers, we don't protect the interest of tailor shops. You want to say I am protecting the interest of HK BaoTou? No, I show you the direction to 1,000 garment workshops/factories, it kills HK BaoTou. You are repeating the same things again and again with new accounts in different forums. The answer is still the same.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
This is my another Winter jacket, full canvas, different color. Same fabric as #455, 850 g, good for Winter. I prefer the light grey one of #455.

3.jpg

see page 1: #3 #15, this page: #455, #456, #461
same BaoTou 1 from Mirador, he runs his own Shenzhen workshop.

For BaoTou 2, he also runs his own Shenzhen workshop, but lighting is not too good for photo shootings.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
this one comes from BaoTou 1 from Mirador and this is the same Shenzhen workshop.
this end product proved, this BaoTou 1 does not understand the style of an overcoat. what is this? it's an overcoat (China style):
5.jpg

for suits,
BaoTou 1: default slim fit cut for youngers mainly.
BaoTou 2: default modern fit cut, good comfort.

I suggest local consumers to pick those with (old HK) rather than those without (old HK).

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
My wardrobe is already full. I have 2 more coming in Jan from 2 different new Mirador BaoTou (each one has about 40 years in tailoring). Dugdale bros. NFW 8952 is for my all season traveling. Dugdale mohair and Fresco 3 are for my summer traveling. Holland and Sherry, Dormeuil, Scabal, Drago, VBC are for my daily wear in office.

Dugdale bros. NFW 8952, full canvas by Ng sifu. I made the order in Dec and picked it up today. This one has defect, it proved high season is risky :

Dugdale bros. NFW 8952.1.JPG

Dugdale bros. NFW 8952.3.JPG

Dugdale bros. mohair 8400, full canvas by Ng sifu (with about 50 years in tailoring) :

Dugdale bros. mohair 8400.1.JPG

Dugdale bros. mohair 8400.2.JPG

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Dormeuil Tropical Amadeus, full canvas by Ng sifu :

Dormeuil Tropical Amadeus1.JPG

Dormeuil Tropical Amadeus2.JPG

Dormeuil Tropical Amadeus3.JPG

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Scabal new deluxe, full canvas by Ng sifu :

Scabal1.JPG

Scabal2.JPG

Scabal3.JPG

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads