• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Looks fantastic ...

Back is very clean and it’s absolutely bang for the buck

I also ventured out and got fitted with 2 different tailors .. one in Mirador and the other on Chatham Road .. excellent experience ..

View attachment 949154

View attachment 949155
Chatham Road, lower floor?
how is the Milanese buttonhole?
---------------

Right now, my wardrobes are full and overloaded. Since I started my blog, I started testing a few BaoTou. I have stopped already. I am keeping a few more fabrics for the future.

Guys,

I don't have time to try all my suits I got from Mirador yet, I keep them in my wardrobes, and I have tried a few BaoTou only. Therefore, I cannot rate all BaoTou in Mirador. Don't ask me the same questions again. I don't know which BaoTou is the best. No one knows.

Lai sifu (賴師傅) was working in 16/F before, he is now working in Guangzhou. His colleagues said all Shanghai sifu can do the same things, it is just how the customers match with the BaoTou.

At lower floor, a BaoTou said he has been making suits for movie stars. At mid floor, a few BaoTou said they are very famous in Mirador and they got young customers. For me, I don't have good communications with these BaoTou, therefore, I didn't try them. But other people might have different stories.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Mate, you don’t know where to look. Suitsupply offers a full canvas suit at only HK$7,799

https://apac.suitsupply.com/en/suits/hartford-blue-check/P5422I.html?cgid=Suits
just found out that with E.Thomas fabric (Chinese and Mongolian or something like that).

http://www.ethomas.com/en/fabbrica.html
The mill E.Thomas produces world class top quality fabrics, including a range of precious blends combining wool with silk, Chinese and Mongolian cashmere, mohair and linen with unique features.

I can get less than half that price with BaoTou in HK, with Chinese and Mongolian fabrics from "East Door" in Shenzhen (Dongmen fabric market Shenzhen).

I plan to have a new peacoat with Mongolian cashmere for the Winter. I like Mongolian cashmere.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
would you mind sharing your suit with ng sifu? I'm interested in making with him as well.

Ng sifu facebook shows a few suits he made:

Dugdale Bros. mohair:
1.jpg

Scabal New Deluxe:
2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

bamboo

Reaction score
just found out that with E.Thomas fabric (mill from Chinese and Mongolian).

http://www.ethomas.com/en/fabbrica.html
The mill E.Thomas produces world class top quality fabrics, including a range of precious blends combining wool with silk, Chinese and Mongolian cashmere, mohair and linen with unique features.

I can get less than half that price with BaoTou in HK, with Chinese and Mongolian fabrics from "East Door" in Shenzhen (Dongmen fabric market Shenzhen).

I plan to have a new peacoat with Mongolian cashmere for the Winter. I like Mongolian cashmere.

I have to visit Shanzen to take a look, never looked around East gate area.

BTW, E.Thomas at least was setup in Italy and is registered in Italy and different from guys pretending to be European with funny name. Do you mean they moved all facilities to China?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I have to visit Shanzen to take a look, never looked around East gate area.

BTW, E.Thomas at least was setup in Italy and is registered in Italy and different from guys pretending to be European with funny name. Do you mean they moved all facilities to China?
http://www.ethomas.com/en/fabbrica2.html
The company‘s vision is focusing on two objectives: high quality and constant creative effort rigorously made in Italy.

I don't know anything about E.Thomas. I don't see any problem from Italian fabric with China source. I also got British brand fabric, Scabal made in Italy. What about Giorgio Vallino and Mazoni? Are they made in Italy? What are they doing? How their outsource systems work? I have no idea. As long as the product description is true, that is fine to me. Something like American flag made in China? or say made in Switzerland =/= Swiss made ?

My concern is product description, no matter where they are from or what brands they are. When it said it is wool, it should wool, not wool + polyester. When it said it is pure cashmere, it should be cashmere, not unknown things + polyester. That's important.

Fabrics from Xinjiang China and Mongolia are good. I got overcoat, peacoat, winter sports jackets with Xinjiang and Mongolia cashmere. I will have one more peacoat for winter 2018. Go Shenzhen, you will see good grade and bad grade China fabrics. You will see China brand, Italian brand and British brand logos on China fabrics.

According to Ng sifu, he has a few customers from mainland China who purchased their suit fabrics from Dongmen fabric market in Shenzhen. He found these China fabrics way better than those low price Italian suit fabrics in TST.

-------------------------
For product description, ask your Shenzhen fabric suppliers to be honest. They will tell you nothing is 100% wool and nothing is 100% pure cashmere. That's more honest than the written description in China fabric sample books.

CASHMERE IN CHINA
http://factsanddetails.com/china/cat9/sub63/entry-4618.html
History of the Cashmere Industry in China
By 2005, China and Hong Kong accounted for 80 percent of U.S. cashmere knit imports, up from 66 percent in 1995.

Cashmere Companies and Designers in China
The largest Chinese cashmere company is called Eerduosi. It produces about a third of the world's cashmere and controls half the output of China. It employs 13,000 people and is 44 percent owned by the Chinese government. In the mid 2000s, it decided that cashmere was not enough, and made plans to invest almost $100 million to diversify into banking, electricity and property.
Cashmere sweaters sold in Britain include Loro Plana baby cashmere sweaters ($1,500); Superfine cropped cardigans at N. Peal ($350), Bora V-necks ($225), Jigsaw merino machmere sweater ($120), M&S Autograph jumper of Uniqlo V-neck ($105) and Women's Primark jumper ($57). Profits margins are much larger for high-end cashmere products. Some cashmere mixes contain as little as 5 percent cashmere. When low end cashmere marketers are squeezed by high cashmere prices they often respond by lowering the cashmere content on their products rather than raising prices.

How Your Cashmere Sweater Is Decimating Mongolia's Grasslands
https://www.npr.org/sections/parall...re-sweater-is-decimating-mongolias-grasslands

Last edited:

bamboo

Reaction score
Thanks for your clarification. I know China and Mongolia are prominent producer of raw cashmere. I have no doubt that some fabric woven and finished in China are good quality.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Thanks for your clarification. I know China and Mongolia are prominent producer of raw cashmere. I have no doubt that some fabric woven and finished in China are good quality.
Go Dongmen fabric market for China and Mongolia cashmere.
Talk like locals, you get good price.
Talk like expats, you pay 3 X price.

I like China cashmere for travelling during winter. I need to keep warm to cover up all my clothes, and partial cashmere is tougher than 100% pure cashmere.

The above is Shenzhen case. For HK, a fabric shop is selling fabric of a famous Italian brand for HK$550/yard. Another fabric shop is selling the same fabric for less than HK$200/yard due to old stock, product description said wool S140, made in Italy. The owner of this fabric shop explained to me this is not pure wool, this is wool + polyester. For tailors, they might say this is easier for cutting and ironing, thus, this is better. For consumers, wool =/= wool + polyester. As a consumer, I say this is confusing!

Last edited:

Shangara

Reaction score
@Shangara It looks nice enough to me. I bet the fabric is quite light weight hence you see the lines of shirts and pockets visible. Lapel button holes, I have seen both example. I would prefer a bit wider lapel but as you said it is a personal choice. Only concern for me is a little of pull on your right shoulder, which I see frontal picture of the jacket.

The fabric is light weight (VBC Perennial Solids III, 260g). Tailor 2 said the fabric was cheap (I agree, HK$288 per yard) and that caused wrinkles (I am not so sure).

bamboo

Reaction score
The fabric is light weight (VBC Perennial Solids III, 260g). Tailor 2 said the fabric was cheap (I agree, HK$288 per yard) and that caused wrinkles (I am not so sure).

Light weight fabric is generally difficult to make regardless of the price. I received a complaint about LGB before from a sifu.

bamboo

Reaction score
Go Dongmen fabric market for China and Mongolia cashmere.
Talk like locals, you get good price.
Talk like expats, you pay 3 X price.

I like China cashmere for travelling during winter. I need to keep warm to cover up all my clothes, and partial cashmere is tougher than 100% pure cashmere.

The above is Shenzhen case. For HK, a fabric shop is selling fabric of a famous Italian brand for HK$550/yard. Another fabric shop is selling the same fabric for less than HK$200/yard due to old stock, product description said wool S140, made in Italy. The owner of this fabric shop explained to me this is not pure wool, this is wool + polyester. For tailors, they might say this is easier for cutting and ironing, thus, this is better. For consumers, wool =/= wool + polyester. As a consumer, I say this is confusing!

I appreciate your comment on #411, but may I suggest you to write a separate comment to expand your thoughts rather than EDITING. I noticed #411 doubled its size after I read and left thank you comment. There is no way to tell which part is new so the readers need to re-read everything again.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I tried the followings with Tailor 2, and he said these are good with less wrinkles:
Dormeuil Tropical Amadeus
Scabal Capri
Dugdale New Fine Worsted
Dugdale Mohair

Last edited:

mrlost32

Reaction score
Hi guys, am new to the forum and this thread have really made me want to try out Baotou instead of going to tailor shops. I am just wondering if anyone has a good fabric wholesalers in HK to share? many thanks once more!

Shangara

Reaction score
I think one of the greatest fun of bespoking is for the consumer to have more choice and to learn how to choose. I don’t mind too much about the wrinkles. I just want to see what a tailor can do upon the available resources.

In other words, I enjoy the process at least as well as the end product.

Again put it in another way, if the end product is perfect, but it is all due to the craftsmanship of the tailor and the superior quality of the fabric, then at most I would say I only have half the fun of bespoking.

Shangara

Reaction score
Mr Lost, Mr PekingRoad has mentioned a list in his blog. I patronise one located in Tsim Sha Tsui, as I think it is convenient for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics