• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bear climbs up a tree in a man's backyard and won't get down so he calls animal control...

renderTimingPixel.png

An animal control van pulls up and a man steps out with a pitbull by his side. He comes up to the owner, hands him a semi-automatic rifle and says: "Here is the plan, I climb up the tree and start shaking it, when the bear falls out, my pitbull Fluffy here will bite him by the balls and drag him back to my van. Got it?". The owner, startled, says: "OK sure, but what the hell is the gun for?". The man replies: "In case I fall off the tree first, you better empty the ******* clip on Fluffy!"

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a note from our insurance broker apologizing for all the bullshit our carrier is (again) requiring for wildfire risk mitigation this year, but also noting he would be unable to place the policy with them today at all given the underwriting changes they've made since we bought in 2017. Reading between the lines -- suck it up. Of course the most likely outcome is we do the work and they drop us anyway in a year or so after another couple of dire events go into their risk models. Things that didn't even remotely occur to me when moving over from the UK, where this somewhat less of a concern ...

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had a note from our insurance broker apologizing for all the bullshit our carrier is (again) requiring for wildfire risk mitigation this year, but also noting he would be unable to place the policy with them today at all given the underwriting changes they've made since we bought in 2017. Reading between the lines -- suck it up. Of course the most likely outcome is we do the work and they drop us anyway in a year or so after another couple of dire events go into their risk models. Things that didn't even remotely occur to me when moving over from the UK, where this somewhat less of a concern ...

I'm sure it beats needing insurance coverage for bad food, eh?

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
day 1 of renos:

And the completed. Managed to renovate the entire house with just dad, his handyman friend from church and myself in a good 8-10 week period. Never again! (Excuse the cardboard mat, that’s now been replaced with a proper dish).

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Managed to renovate the entire house with just dad, his handyman friend from church and myself in a good 8-10 week period.
The entire house is just that one room you posted, right? Because otherwise that seems insane! Are you sure the dog didn't help?

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this was the house about 90% complete. Since then, the skirting have all been installed, internal doors repainted a semi gloss vivid white (the two exit doors painted a gloss black) and fireplaces + mantel pieces painted black. Floorboards are a very
Swiss laminate, kronoswiss in an exclusive Australian colour, spotted gum (us Aussies love our spotted gum and Blackbutt).

The three front rooms have ceilings that are 3.3m tall/ 10.28feet. It’s a terrace house built in 1910. I’m glad I had the opportunity to restore it with my dad. This helped us rebuild a relationship that had been fractured for years. The overall experience was a very steep one - I’m a lawyer by trade so everything I learnt as I went. Design, putting up walls, plumbing, etc. not sure if I’d ever want to do it again. Everything that was wooden was pretty much rooted due to severe termite damage. What you don’t see is all the floor joists, ceiling and roof structure being repaired and replaced. Here’s some idea the extent we went to (and with a cheeky photo of dad enjoying himself).

Last edited:

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And Rupert the Irish wolfhound x (rescue dog) was the onsite supervisor. He ensured we didn’t slack off.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** that’s impressive! The ‘supervisor’ though, looks like he can be bought off. Just a fair warning?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Looks good. Are those fireplaces wood burners?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I have to admit to having agita over the whole home owning thing. On one hand I've got all this "dead" equity, and on the other, I could end up with a mortgage and falling investment account if I went that route. Fucked either way...story of my life. :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads