• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you guys switch management companies at some point? I feel like there was an oversight when hiring these guys.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finished painting a couple rooms and hung a new light fixture. As I was cleaning up, my wife goes, "I don't like the color of that fixture." This after I took the other fixture down and held this one in its place before going through the effort of installing it. FFS.
0_9si2bw6JfXUMDgAp.jpg

My Turn to *****. I hate living in other peoples filth and idiocy. I have had the house for 3 years, the previous owners did NOTHING apparently. No maintenance, no repairs, no anything. Filthy slovenly cunts. So much for the relaxation hangover after my vacation.

My to-do list this week, New pressure tank for the well (probably been water logged for years but I have just got around to it), New iron filter, Reverse osmosis system needs to be refreshed.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never attempt to work with anything that is smarter than yourself...

I have an update. Apparently the water to the building needed to be shut off and flushed, which takes hours to do. The building management told me the porter would take care of it. Well the porter showed up and had no clue how to do it or even that he had to. They now need to reschedule.

The story is actually much longer preceding this. Last week I got an email from this French guy who lives in the building that he sent to everybody in the building. He said his ptac valve sare leaking and he has been trying to email and call the building management and he hasn't been getting an answer for three weeks. It was a cry for help and the board got him in touch with the management company to schedule for today. Well last Tuesday my ptac valves started leaking so I reached out to the French guy to ask him about the vendor doing the work. That same day ANOTHER guy's ptac valves are leaking and reached out to both of us. I called the vendor and scheduled all of us for today. So now an Asian, a French guy, and an Italian are all home from work with our heads up our rears. We should walk into a bar because the joke's on us.

I was about to say...I doubt this is a 15 minute job in a building like yours. Replacing the actual valve might take that long, but not the prep work that has to go into it.

Figured you would have to shut off the heat to at least part of the building. That can have scheduling issues in the winter if local ordinances require heat (especially if there are people renting out their units and thus bound by tenant laws). In my building, anything they do with the heating/cooling also takes forever since they don't want temps to change fast and cause problems from expansion...

I would assume that any vendor would be charging a premium for having to deal with that kind of **** rather than because their job is actually hard. And the building probably requires vendors that will agree to jump through their hoops. Like maybe they won't drain the system until the guy is on site (because they have had no-shows in the past), but that means the guy is going to charge you to sit around while some other guy drains the system.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
View attachment 1287082

My Turn to *****. I hate living in other peoples filth and idiocy. I have had the house for 3 years, the previous owners did NOTHING apparently. No maintenance, no repairs, no anything. Filthy slovenly cunts. So much for the relaxation hangover after my vacation.

My to-do list this week, New pressure tank for the well (probably been water logged for years but I have just got around to it), New iron filter, Reverse osmosis system needs to be refreshed.
Why would they do anything when they can just sell their problems to you? They sound smart.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never attempt to work with anything that is smarter than yourself...

I have an update. Apparently the water to the building needed to be shut off and flushed, which takes hours to do. The building management told me the porter would take care of it. Well the porter showed up and had no clue how to do it or even that he had to. They now need to reschedule.

The story is actually much longer preceding this. Last week I got an email from this French guy who lives in the building that he sent to everybody in the building. He said his ptac valve sare leaking and he has been trying to email and call the building management and he hasn't been getting an answer for three weeks. It was a cry for help and the board got him in touch with the management company to schedule for today. Well last Tuesday my ptac valves started leaking so I reached out to the French guy to ask him about the vendor doing the work. That same day ANOTHER guy's ptac valves are leaking and reached out to both of us. I called the vendor and scheduled all of us for today. So now an Asian, a French guy, and an Italian are all home from work with our heads up our rears. We should walk into a bar because the joke's on us.
I'm just yanking your chain. I am a little confused about the building flush though. I was pretty good at minimizing the impacts of shutdowns on projects that involved in use facilities. They get real serious about that stuff in hospitals, powerplants and semiconductor plants where a shut down can run several million dollars an hour.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm just yanking your chain. I am a little confused about the building flush though. I was pretty good at minimizing the impacts of shutdowns on projects that involved in use facilities. They get real serious about that stuff in hospitals, powerplants and semiconductor plants where a shut down can run several million dollars an hour.

Yeah, apparently somebody else had this done last year without so much disturbance, but this vendor for whatever reason is stubborn about it.

Reactions: Gus

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would they do anything when they can just sell their problems to you? They sound smart.
Because they lived with things that are broken! Gah it just defies logic. Oh well. Sweat equity right! Thankfully the iron filter was a painless process. Now jusst have to get rid of the other one

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the folks we bought our house from did similar, but our eyes were open. they were also getting divorced, etc. they made zero money on the sale. sound smart?

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the folks we bought our house from did similar, but our eyes were open. they were also getting divorced, etc. they made zero money on the sale. sound smart?
Huh. This is the exact thing we bought from as well. They made no money and may have lost a bunch because they did an equity loan from a family member when they initially bought. Weird.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Zellij tile on a renovation? I'm looking to incorporate it on a bathroom reno.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends what % of the house and salary is the wife getting?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The new gig has made me appreciate the tranquility of my personal resort and Shangri-la even more these last few weeks.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oversized ottoman with tray or traditional coffee table?

Feel like I can save a little with the former and will provide more utility.

Negative, cannot really dine in the family room. Maybe that is a good thing. No dinner tv here..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads