• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Our insurer's fire safety unit came out for their annual inspection and, as usual, there are New! Policies! No longer allowed to use mulch or wood chips within 10' of structures, which is fairly ******* annoying as I just put down a bunch around the house. Will have to be removed and replaced with soil. Also now requiring an auto shutoff valve on the gas main, so that's going to cost a bit. Death by 1000 cuts.

Our insurer has never come out to the house. Why do you have an annual inspection?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Size of the policy and wildland-urban interface setting. It was in the small print.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We bought a sectional second-hand a few years ago. After a few months, we decided the cushions were too soft, and we got new foam from a place in Berkeley. They did a great job. It was more expensive than we were expecting, but even so the total cost was probably $1000 less than buying those same pieces new.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the cushions are zippered (and not tufted), it is pretty easy to order new foam and batting (or order them already wrapped) based on measurements.

If they are tufted, you'd have to pull and replace the tufts which isn't terribly hard but takes time.

If they are sewn... Eh, probably not worth it to diy

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of the valves on my ptac unit where the hot water comes in is leaking. I am waiting for the mook to come fix it right now. Another $500.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the valves on my ptac unit where the hot water comes in is leaking. I am waiting for the mook to come fix it right now. Another $500.
$500 for 20 mins labor and a $15 valve? I gotta wonder who the mook is here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I fixed a leaky kitchen sink and replaced a light fixture a few weeks ago for $10 and a trip to the hardware store. I don’t want to know what a plumber and electrician would’ve charged.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finished painting a couple rooms and hung a new light fixture. As I was cleaning up, my wife goes, "I don't like the color of that fixture." This after I took the other fixture down and held this one in its place before going through the effort of installing it. FFS.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Never attempt to work with anything that is smarter than yourself...

I have an update. Apparently the water to the building needed to be shut off and flushed, which takes hours to do. The building management told me the porter would take care of it. Well the porter showed up and had no clue how to do it or even that he had to. They now need to reschedule.

The story is actually much longer preceding this. Last week I got an email from this French guy who lives in the building that he sent to everybody in the building. He said his ptac valve sare leaking and he has been trying to email and call the building management and he hasn't been getting an answer for three weeks. It was a cry for help and the board got him in touch with the management company to schedule for today. Well last Tuesday my ptac valves started leaking so I reached out to the French guy to ask him about the vendor doing the work. That same day ANOTHER guy's ptac valves are leaking and reached out to both of us. I called the vendor and scheduled all of us for today. So now an Asian, a French guy, and an Italian are all home from work with our heads up our rears. We should walk into a bar because the joke's on us.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also to add insult to injury the building management said, oh well we will have to hire a handyman to drain the water and that will cost you $100. It is their incompetence that has made this a month long ordeal for one guy and an inconvenience to two others today. We shouldn't have to pay a dime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads