• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
My post was intended as a satire of HGTV buyers. Maybe this did not come across.

I've posted of my hatred of those glass tile mosaics before. They're in every flip house.

I missed the sarcasm.

Dunno, never lived in a townhome like this, although I did grow up in a house with a partially finished basement so the idea of stairs isn't crazy. It is certainly one way to get more space in the city without going for a high rise.

I do notice that many of the units for sale have small children's furniture. Par for the course for couples of that age to be moving to the 'burbs, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the stairs get old real fast with a baby in tow. Bedrooms are up 2 fights of stairs, even gotta carry groceries up 1 flight.

I probably wouldn't mind that much--beats lugging stuff up to the top of a 3-story walkup, and high-rise elevators/shared garages get annoying.

My cat would love it.

They aren't quite solid--look to have some variation in some of the pictures.

From what I have seen in photos of the other units, I would guess that these were all built up with builder-grade finishes (I think they grew out of various parts of a public housing demolition and may have been originally intended to be mixed-income in the early 2000s) and have mostly been through one renovation cycle. Maybe a second "spruce up" round pre-sale on some of them. They are definitely a mixed bag of features...

I did like the stairwell railings of this one (most other units just have drywall)...but otherwise a lot of the finishes and choices were not my style.

Do you actually get much space in high rises? A quick search of houses in the downtown area yields very few places that are <600k with 2000 Sq ft. Most are near South side in townhome style or the warehouse/factory renovation style condo.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe not for the same money, but there are some quite large high rise units. Recently saw one for sale in my building that was a combination of multiple units and it was quite full of space. Less waste too since a3 floor townhome will inevitably feel like less sq.ft.

I don't get those backsplashes at all, but I sure see them everywhere. Always screamed "fad" to me... But maybe fads are ok if you only plan to live somewhere for 3 years.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
My friend had a stunning and huge 4 bedroom place in a high rise on Lake Michigan. I think they had combined a couple of units. Unfortunately it had to go when she got divorced.

I have to say it sounded improbably cheap compared to a similar unit in SF or NYC.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me the appeal of those built-in desks in kitchens? Is this a Southern thing or just something I never noticed up north?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My friend owns a two story penthouse on the Gold Coast. It's pretty impressive and digs I could certainly get used to.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I heard the kitchen use to serve as a place for people to work like take care of bills etc. Maybe a generational thing. Makes sense to me.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Our place came with one of those built in desks but thankfully not in the kitchen. It's in the small room that is the interchange between the utility room, kitchen, and butler's pantry. It also houses the gato feeding station in the one corner that doesn't lead out.

?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's traditional to have a writing desk built into the passageway, which also usually houses the pantry, between the kitchen and dining room.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My friend had a stunning and huge 4 bedroom place in a high rise on Lake Michigan. I think they had combined a couple of units. Unfortunately it had to go when she got divorced.

I have to say it sounded improbably cheap compared to a similar unit in SF or NYC.

Yeah, in college I worked for a guy (out of his home office), that had a multi unit place high up in Lake Point Tower, which is the only building outside of lake shore drive.

21244406476_d3c47cde6a_b.jpg

Had a whole lobe of the building (and then some maybe) so the view included the entire city and the lake. The only thing you couldn't see was Navy Pier (which most would say is a good thing). Not cheap, But probably looks like a steal for someone on the coasts.

**** even had a private little forest on top of the parking garage.

Not sure why he got rid of it, I think he just had a knack for selling things at the right time. Next long term place was a duplex or townhome thing in the gold coast...super nice but not as flashy.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Begone foul demon! Don't be showing that **** and trying to curse the rest of us. Here in the midwest I am trying to enjoy fall. It was monday-wedesday this year, very enjoyable

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
First home with radiant heating and last night was the first time we turned it on as temps dropped to 24 degrees by 7am. Man, it was nice stepping out of bed onto a warm tile floor.

We put in radiant heat in our bathrooms. It is heavenly on a cold morning. Of course it’s really for the cat - she gets even more pleasure from it than we do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads