• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand your comment, ataturk. Texas has some of the highest wholesale prices in the country in the summertime. Thousands of dollars a MWh at times. It has nothing to do with gouging, it is a market price of energy. That's just wholesale, the utility will also have a retail rate to charge you that reflects those high wholesale prices.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not the wholesale cost of electricity that makes it scarce or expensive in the third world. Do you have any evidence people in Texas are actually paying $0.30 per kwh?

brokencycle

Reaction score
Where are these places I can choose a vendor? Our rate is not based on time of day or season. Sad.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Looking forward to whole house battery backup technology improving. Will run batteries during peak cost time and let them recharge at night and with solar.

I don't want solar for the money saving aspect. I want it due to the ****** power we have here that has random 1-2 second outages seemingly on a weekly basis.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not the wholesale cost of electricity that makes it scarce or expensive in the third world. Do you have any evidence people in Texas are actually paying $0.30 per kwh?

I don't understand bringing up the third world? I wasn't saying $0.30 has a definite number just offering one of the reasons his savings could be higher in the summer. Many utilities charge more in the summertime.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's just a friendly jab at my friends on the coasts who think electricity is expensive because electricity is expensive.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our lowest electricity bill is just over $50 US pcm in August, and the peak is around $150 US in the February. In the summer months we don't have any way of saving more because we're about down to the fixed charges. Unless and until we go entirely off-grid, we can't do anything about that. It wouldn't take much, though. There are people in the same community who pay $500+ US pcm and probably a lot more than that...

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
California has some of the lowest electrical bills in the country - much lower than Texas. Despite the fact that we pay higher rates, we tend to use much less electricity (3rd lowest in the country). But let’s be honest, if you are concerned about the cost of energy you can’t afford to live in California.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of the California haters live here? Have any of them actually been here?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
California has some of the lowest electrical bills in the country - much lower than Texas. Despite the fact that we pay higher rates, we tend to use much less electricity (3rd lowest in the country). But let’s be honest, if you are concerned about the cost of energy you can’t afford to live in California.
There’s a direct negative correlation between rates and usage. Utility customers use less and rates have to go up to ensure the utility makes enough money to cover its costs.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I actually met Johnson some years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads