• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
They accepted our offer, with a contingency for selling our house, which we are listing on Wednesday! Hope they don't bump us for a different offer! It's odd cause we were the only people to look at it for the first 5 days (which is why I didnt want to list our house right before the 4th of July), but they had 3 showings scheduled for today. Hope our deal holds up.

It is a single owner house - When filling out the form 17, one of the questions was if the basement has ever flooded. The 93 year old seller replied that water had gotten under the door downstairs during pressure washing IN 1965 ?

It's also 1.5 miles from my best friend, and 2.4 miles from our favorite couple to hang out with.

Sounds like it was well maintained.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, they’ll get in. Of course now they won’t be able to get back out.

:censored:

Anyway, so far so good. Got home today to find lots of un-netted, unmolested blooms.

0DEA8F56-7C60-42CD-97DC-EA73D4AA8240.jpeg

5F894BD7-4D18-45A5-843A-EDD0D1FB2EAE.jpeg

88DC25B1-3DB9-4F1A-9B17-B98E37C967C2.jpeg

Probably just lulling me into a false sense of security ...

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add noise deterrent to outside of fence. Amazon sell a bunch that are somewhat effective, but coupled with the fence I’m sure it will keep them away.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have a recommendation for a brand of remote controlled interior blinds?

We have two walls with a total of nine windows in our kitchen and use motorized blinds from the Shade Store for them. I have no complaints. The remote is basic, but the Shade Store has a phone app that is great. Super easy to customize different programs, so I have the shades open, close, and go to various positions in between at different times of the day. With the windows on different walls, I have programed the shades to go to different heights on various window to account for different types of light. It’s totally customizable.

The company has plenty of selection for materials, and customer service has been great. I really have been happy with everything, which I basically never am with, well, anything.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously contractors (more so sales people) are the worst. Looking at replacing our windows. Its a pretty big job (30 some windows). First quote from company comes in and its a little shocking. Start looking it over and it has some mistakes. Email guy about the mistakes and its a "Oh yeah, we discussed that. I just forgot to put it on. Ill send over a new quote". Get the new quote. There's no bottom line. There's a total, but its even higher than the original total even though the changes lowered the price of windows about $10k. That and several labor items have mysteriously changed.

Now I have to call the company tomorrow and complain about their sales guy. I mean if they miss little things (as well as big things), what will happen when the job actually happens?

Oh yeah, and a big boooo to Marvin to limiting who can install their windows. Unfortunately it looks like we are stuck with this crappy company if we want Marvin windows. And no, I'm not installing them myself.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You probably can't even buy them as a DIYer. I would move on to some other windows if I were you.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been considering motorized shades, but ideally want a system I could retrofit if I move (either reuse the motors/controls or even be able to trim the blinds to new dimensions).

Mostly want automation so that I can have blackout/dark shades in the bedroom that open in the morning. Also could be nice to have shades in other rooms that auto close at key times for temperature management and furnishing protection.

Ikea is supposed to have a system coming out, but it has been delayed. Even if their system isn't quite right, their price point should push down the other players.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
When I was a kid, in my late teens, I was a "canvasser" for an old school tin man. Replacement windows have HUGE margins. It's a huge scam so get your contract nailed down like a coffin lid.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I had Lowe's come out because they did a couple of windows in our old house and did a great job (I know they subcontract) for a really good price relative to some of the independents that quoted us.

First they confirmed two different appointments and never showed, then they came out and took the most rough measurements and gave me an astronomical price compared to previous quotes for garbage windows. As an example we had the mid-range Pella wood windows installed for $350/each. This was $500/ea for cheap non-name brand vinyl. Pella discontinued the line we had, so to go to their new cheap line was even more.

I'm just going to ignore the window problem. They're fine today, but a couple frames are warped. Let the next homeowners deal with it.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wood windows for $350 installed? When was this? Like 15 years ago? From what I’ve seen, that price has doubled if not tripled lately.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Wood windows for $350 installed? When was this? Like 15 years ago? From what I’ve seen, that price has doubled if not tripled lately.

I could barely drive 15 years ago. Probably about 5 or 6.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads