• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By having a pair of knippex slip-joint pliers instead!

Although mine are 10"...but they are fantastic
I got some Irwin groove lock pliers recently. I like those better than channel lock.
Is there a tool talk thread? Seems like there is an audience. Could lump in the woodworkers and the auto wrenches as well.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a tool talk thread? Seems like there is an audience. Could lump in the woodworkers and the auto wrenches as well.
They're all channel locks to me, actually if you're old enough water pump pliers.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well they're not vice grips.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Even for someone like me that absolutely LOATHES doing repairs and such there is a bare minimum of tools one needs. A complete set of sockets and wrenches. Various pliers (linesmen, needle nose, channel locks, vice grips, etc.) Wire snippers. Cordless that does screws, bolts, drills, etc. Manual set of screwdrivers. A good Eastwing or the like. Rubber mallet. 6' and 12' step ladders.

From there all kinds of optional stuff. Dremel can be handy. Shop vac. A sander of some form. That tool you use to loosen/tighten taps from under the sink. Shovels. Axe/hatchet/brush clearing knife. Leaf blower. At least two 100' outdoor extension cords. Tool belt.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite home tool is my ******* machete.

20190622_154526.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
When it comes to useful blades I really like Fiskars stuff. Cheap, durable, cuts like hell.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even for someone like me that absolutely LOATHES doing repairs and such there is a bare minimum of tools one needs. A complete set of sockets and wrenches. Various pliers (linesmen, needle nose, channel locks, vice grips, etc.) Wire snippers. Cordless that does screws, bolts, drills, etc. Manual set of screwdrivers. A good Eastwing or the like. Rubber mallet. 6' and 12' step ladders.

From there all kinds of optional stuff. Dremel can be handy. Shop vac. A sander of some form. That tool you use to loosen/tighten taps from under the sink. Shovels. Axe/hatchet/brush clearing knife. Leaf blower. At least two 100' outdoor extension cords. Tool belt.

Hand saw, hacksaw, Skil saw, level, tape measure, claw hammer. I need to buy a Skil saw. Corded ones are cheap.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hand saw, hacksaw, Skil saw, level, tape measure, claw hammer. I need to buy a Skil saw. Corded ones are cheap.

A couple different sized levels, actually. Eastwing = claw hammer.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're just making the odd cut sawzalls are handier and more versatile. Without a doubt the #1 most used tool I own is an impact driver with drills,socket adapters and screw bits. I actually have 3, one in the workshop, one in the yard shed and one in the house.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads