• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This weekend’s project is complete.
BCE6AFC4-9D25-431B-8D64-9D736A6D8E98.jpeg
Lights above the patio for the wife.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Looks great.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know about the east side of Cary, but the western half is definitely nuts right now and new construction is constant.

The problem with the eastern part of Cary is they’re mostly modest homes built in the 70s. Tiny cottages and split levels painted olive green and poop brown. (I know because I live in one.) Even the flip market is slowing down a little it seems. Honestly I like the neighborhood, and downtown Cary seems to be on the upswing. It's just that the houses are ****. (Renovating a split level is just putting lipstick on a pig.)

Can’t really compare it with tract homes being built on the west side of town.

brokencycle

Reaction score
The problem with the eastern part of Cary is they’re mostly modest homes built in the 70s. Tiny cottages and split levels painted olive green and poop brown. (I know because I live in one.) Even the flip market is slowing down a little it seems. Honestly I like the neighborhood, and downtown Cary seems to be on the upswing. It's just that the houses are ****. (Renovating a split level is just putting lipstick on a pig.)

Can’t really compare it with tract homes being built on the west side of town.

If you want a cheaply finished house with one giant room in the middle, it may be perfect for you (new construction that is). I actually prefer East Cary because there is more diversity in house types. SE can be quick to get downtown Raleigh, but is more expensive and a pain to get to the Triangle.

There is always Apex too, and downtown Apex is much nicer (but the hot neighborhoods are quickly moving west).

I looked all over Cary, Apex, and North of 540 in Raleigh (basically from the airport to the NE corner of Falls Lake). East Cary had a lot more than split levels when looking. I really liked a dutch colonial in fact but there were certainly a fair share.

Then again I don't know what size you are looking for or what your price point is.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you want a cheaply finished house with one giant room in the middle, it may be perfect for you (new construction that is). I actually prefer East Cary because there is more diversity in house types. SE can be quick to get downtown Raleigh, but is more expensive and a pain to get to the Triangle.

There is always Apex too, and downtown Apex is much nicer (but the hot neighborhoods are quickly moving west).

I looked all over Cary, Apex, and North of 540 in Raleigh (basically from the airport to the NE corner of Falls Lake). East Cary had a lot more than split levels when looking. I really liked a dutch colonial in fact but there were certainly a fair share.

Then again I don't know what size you are looking for or what your price point is.

Ideally, ~2500 sqft, <20 minute commute to downtown Raleigh, and I wish I knew definitively what my price point was. My problem is that I need utility space, and nobody builds utility space anymore. If more older houses had basements here, this would be less of a problem.

Apparently Apex was the 3rd fastest growing city in the country last year.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Ideally, ~2500 sqft, <20 minute commute to downtown Raleigh, and I wish I knew definitively what my price point was. My problem is that I need utility space, and nobody builds utility space anymore. If more older houses had basements here, this would be less of a problem.

Apparently Apex was the 3rd fastest growing city in the country last year.

I would look at south Cary or NE Apex. Trulia has a commute overlay that intermittently works, but close to 64 or 1 is about the same commute time as most of eastern Cary as you have to get out of the winding non-sense to get to a highway.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
House went pending Friday. Close July 11, occupy July 31. Inspections, of course, and in the meantime planning an upgrade to kitchen and Master bath before moving in. This week will seek out best contractors and designers/decorators.

The home is one year old, great flow and separate guest suits. It's a bit plain vanilla but also a blank canvas to make it our own. Looking forward to it.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sangre de Cristos man a magic place

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So anyone here have cement kitchen countertops? How are they? Would you do it again? Considering that as a bit of a contemporary touch.

dazedstate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So anyone here have cement kitchen countertops? How are they? Would you do it again? Considering that as a bit of a contemporary touch.
A friend of mine does concrete for a living and did his countertops in as much. They look pretty cool but they have cracked. Working with it on a daily basis, he said he expected it since concrete is bound to crack. Just it's nature.

Personally not my thing (went with boring granite). I think the key to no cracks is using the preformed stuff

Last edited:
Reactions: Gus

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine does concrete for a living and did his countertops in as much. They look pretty cool but they have cracked. Working with it on a daily basis, he said he expected it since concrete is bound to crack. Just it's nature.

Personally not my thing (went with boring granite). I think the key to no cracks is using the preformed stuff
The stuff you use for countertops is especially made for that purpose . Not supposed to crack.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I bit the bullet and hired the same people to paint the downstairs of my house (my brother had lived down there until about a week ago) that I had paint the exterior a couple years ago. Man, those folks are thorough with the prep! It is looking like it was almost remodeled they do so much filling and sanding of the trim and walls. As far as I can tell the process is fill, sand, prime, fill, sand, paint paint

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah concrete only cracks do to the environment its in. Ground shifts, freeze/thaw, extreme heat. Even the temperature change cracks are more or less caused by the movement of the ground/environment around it.

Being in a controlled environment should last a long time.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah concrete only cracks do to the environment its in. Ground shifts, freeze/thaw, extreme heat. Even the temperature change cracks are more or less caused by the movement of the ground/environment around it.

Being in a controlled environment should last a long time.
Or just your dirt

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads