• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize Santa Fe got that cold.
7,200 feet and low humidity you get penetrating sunshine. The other day it was mid 70's and sunny and it felt intense.

On the flip side, yep can be cold, single digits at night in part of the winter but offset by bountiful sunshine. Some snow but usually melts by mid day.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love New Mexico. Ruidoso (we technically stay in Alto) is one of my favorite spots.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
7,200 feet and low humidity you get penetrating sunshine. The other day it was mid 70's and sunny and it felt intense.

lefty

Fashate

Reaction score
I'm not crazy about the idea of downgrading materials, but the granite is relatively thin with a rounded profile. The design of the rest of our house really calls for a thicker, squared edge counter. We built the home four years ago as a spec home, and didn't like any of the builder's options, so we took the cheapest granite top they had with the intention to replace it. It's a pretty large kitchen with a lot of countertop surface, so it would save quite a bit of cash if we could avoid buying all new quartz tops, or something similar.
I think having marble as a countertop is a bit cheaper. What do you think?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bit the bullet last year and put in new a new HVAC system and fixed (to the extent possible) the ducting and returns. The original was so under-specced as to be basically useless. Anyway, it did a nice, quiet, efficient job for us last night while the rest of the Bay area was sweating bullets.

Makes me feel marginally better about the expenditures still queued up for this Summer: new sand filter on well, new critter fencing, upgraded landscape lighting, repaired/raised fieldstone wall.

In the immortal words of Edmund Blackadder, "Honestly, sometimes I feel like a pelican. Whichever way I turn, I’ve still got an enormous bill in front of me!"

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear good things about that part of the state and look forward to exploring it further. There are several popular ski areas right?

Ski Apache is the only ski mountain in the immediate area. It's not the best mountain by any stretch, but good enough for weekend recreational skiers. Otherwise I believe you need to head to Albuquerque for more skiing. There are some other really cool attractions in the area, like white sands and Alamogordo. Alamogordo is the birth of the space program. There are also some really excellent restaurants in the area (the first time I ate escargot was in Ruidoso when I was about 20).

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ski Apache is the only ski mountain in the immediate area. It's not the best mountain by any stretch, but good enough for weekend recreational skiers. Otherwise I believe you need to head to Albuquerque for more skiing. There are some other really cool attractions in the area, like white sands and Alamogordo. Alamogordo is the birth of the space program. There are also some really excellent restaurants in the area (the first time I ate escargot was in Ruidoso when I was about 20).

White Sands is high on our list. What a special place. Everything from missile testing, to Vogue shooting magazine spreads against the pure white sand dune backdrops.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White Sands is high on our list. What a special place. Everything from missile testing, to Vogue shooting magazine spreads against the pure white sand dune backdrops.

Rent the sleds (available at the Ranger Station), or bring your own, and have some fun on the dunes.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How fun!

I might have to start a Southwest thread...

My family traveled a lot when I was a kid . We lived in SW Louisiana and my moms family lived in a small lumber town in NE Oregon. First attempted car trip you needed chains to get over Raton Pass in June . Old man said **** that and headed back to Louisiana. I spent a lot of time in that area in a VW van back when I had a lot more hair.

Reactions: Gus

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My landlord sent us smoke detectors, but they’re definitely not the type she’s supposed to put in (10-year tamperproof lithium ion battery), which I had mentioned to her in an email. I don’t think she knows the laws or even cares to. But as long as the house is safe I’ll deal with it for now.

OTOH looking at homes is depressing, because there is not much mid-market in the areas I’m looking. It seems like the market is stagnating, at least. Homes are staying on the market for a while and people aren’t getting their home-run prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads