• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
How much fun you have.

This absolutely, although are goal is that even never-evers on their first day are having loads of fun.

Semi-official answer: efficiency and versatility.

The best skiers can ski anything with efficient movements.

PS if you can't link turns you are a beginner skier.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Got the Miele dishwasher. Works great and the knock-to-open feature is currently entertaining the kids. Also installed a two-zone U-Line wine cooler to keep reds and whites at proper serving temps. Need to stock it, looking forward to emptying it.

View attachment 1144139

WTF does this have to do with skiing?

:bigstar:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Joking )

Although once I got into moguls, o man how fiercely I was looking for an exit ))

Soft knees and independent feet. Pressure tails as you finish the turn. Take a lesson.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I am still annoyed at the extra splashing from my new faucet.

But the extra height makes washing things like large cutting boards super nice. And as a tall person, it seems to stop me from hunching my posture so much at the sink (although standing tall just leads to more splashing...)

Soft knees and independent feet. Pressure tails as you finish the turn. Take a lesson.

And no ice. Soft bumps are like 100x easier than frozen ones. Also, it may be counter-intuitive, but bumps on hard runs are often easier to ski at resorts. Whenever you have that token "blue mogul run" where they don't groom something and let it get bumpy...it just gets cut up by all of the snowboarders and snowplow kids. Turns into a scraped-out mess that doesn't have any actually good ski-able lines. Whereas bumps only accessible through expert runs are shaped by skiers who know how to turn.

Was at Mount Bohemia last weekend and felt pretty neet to run into patches of moguls on very moderate slopes that were untouched by noobs. Could just power through them nonstop.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Semi-official answer: efficiency and versatility.

The best skiers can ski anything with efficient movements.

PS if you can't link turns you are a beginner skier.

The bolded seems right to me. I have also found there to be an inverse relationship between people claiming to be good skiers and their actual skill level. Most of the great skiers I know would say they are "okay" because they know they can always be better. I have one friend who claims to be a good skier who says she can make it down anything and keep up with anyone but can't actually carve. It should be self-evident that you have to be able to smoothly carve a blue groomer to consider yourself a good skier, but that eludes her.

I do think everyone's calibration is a bit different and that people don't all value the same skills. My wife has better technique than I do but she thinks I'm a better skier than her because I tend to ski more aggressively. I think she's a better skier because her technique is superior. We are also exclusively west coast big mountain skiiers so we tend to prefer carving at high speed on wide open terrain as opposed to bumps or trees. Doesn't mean we don't enjoy those other things, particularly trees on powder days, but that is not where our strengths lie.

As for the postscript, I would say linking turns doesn't take you out of the beginner realm. My kid can link turns after 2 lessons but is still decidedly a beginner.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a mostly off piste skier I find the basic necessity is learning how to properly carve a ski and make a balanced edge change. Done properly this teachs you where your body mass center belongs. Once you intuit this everything else just becomes a matter of adjusting to maintain that center. Slarving , skidding, plowing,pivoting even stemming all become useful tools for turning a feature filled landscape into a playground

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bolded seems right to me. I have also found there to be an inverse relationship between people claiming to be good skiers and their actual skill level. Most of the great skiers I know would say they are "okay" because they know they can always be better. I have one friend who claims to be a good skier who says she can make it down anything and keep up with anyone but can't actually carve. It should be self-evident that you have to be able to smoothly carve a blue groomer to consider yourself a good skier, but that eludes her.
Carving is for n00bs. Parallel skiing is where it's at.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jong

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
*sigh* I'll be honest, I hate home/yard work. Just finished about 90 minutes of it and still need to put a couple coats on two wooden door frames/sills. Maybe tomorrow.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you retire you can do it whenever you feel a little more inspired . I usually don't mind at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads