• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I single handed did a full gut bath remodel in 2 weeks while working full time over the hill (Santa Clara co.) .The tub was only out for a couple days, had a half bath so toilet and sink were no problem. That was 20 years ago . I was a badass only 53 yo kid

esoxm

Reaction score
Going full YOLO and signing a P&S today on a back bay condo in Boston that will be a gut remodel. The next 6 months are going to be brutal

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cutting in is all about knowing how to load the brush. Back in the day union painters only used brushes on building interiors. One of them showed me how. Lead based oil paint!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Cutting in is all about knowing how to load the brush. Back in the day union painters only used brushes on building interiors. One of them showed me how. Lead based oil paint!

Loading the brush and knowing how to do that slight wrist twist that pulls the bristles into an even line. I worked on a non-union crew. On residential properties we would cut in the trim and roll the walls. On commercial jobs it was all about spraying. I remember one guy getting totally wasted on fumes from spraying polyurethane inside a meat locker for a Fudrucker's...he literally staggered out of the room and puked.

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn garage door spring broke this morning. Nothing like being half-dressed and trying to lift a 18' wood door while the kids cheer you on in the car. I wish the wife would have listened to me and just replaced the whole thing 3 months ago.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I get our garage doors checked about every 18-20 months. Have a guy that charges $45 to come in and do a tune up with minor repairs. If it's something more I gladly pay it. It seems like they always cease to function the morning you have a big meeting, a flight, etc. so it's just scheduled PM at the Piob Palace.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loading the brush and knowing how to do that slight wrist twist that pulls the bristles into an even line. I worked on a non-union crew. On residential properties we would cut in the trim and roll the walls. On commercial jobs it was all about spraying. I remember one guy getting totally wasted on fumes from spraying polyurethane inside a meat locker for a Fudrucker's...he literally staggered out of the room and puked.
Yeah we were taking a break one day and this guy was painting window muntins as fast as you could move a brush completely covering them without a speck on the glass, being a welder and naturally obsessed with that sort of skill I just had to know how he did it.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn garage door spring broke this morning. Nothing like being half-dressed and trying to lift a 18' wood door while the kids cheer you on in the car. I wish the wife would have listened to me and just replaced the whole thing 3 months ago.

Our garage door won't open when the temperature is below -15 C or so. Have to replace it at some point I think )

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find my paint cutting lines are worse in the morning after coffee. Also there is something to be said about moving quicker when cutting with a properly loaded brush. Slower movement seems to cause me to have a jagged line and I have to go over it again.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
*sigh* All this talk about painting reminded me I need to put a couple coats of finish on two wooden door frames on the property that get summer sun. Money pits and never ending work. Some days renting is really attractive.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find my paint cutting lines are worse in the morning after coffee. Also there is something to be said about moving quicker when cutting with a properly loaded brush. Slower movement seems to cause me to have a jagged line and I have to go over it again.
I made my living with my hands for over 50 years and there is definitely a relationship that speed of motion contributes to precision.Most people just don't perform these sorts of tasks often enough to recognize that muscle memory is the real source of any manipulative skill.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sometimes I can't tell if I've had too much coffee, or not enough booze.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Beta blockers, yo.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I might have to go on those. I am currently on two different blood pressure medications and I had a cardiologist appointment this Monday where he told me that I need to try a third. It isn't a beta blocker though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads