• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jack webb

Reaction score
just.... all mulch?

How big is your front yard?
We're mostly landscaped with low-maintenance trees and shrubs, but there were a few small sections of grass whose chief talent seemed to be growing crabgrass and dandelions. No more. To your point, I've seen modestly-sized front yards done up nicely with rocks, gravel, & such. Some future generation will look back aghast at our once having dumped potable water on lawns.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a small patch of lawn in my backyard about 60x20 ft that I water 100% with grey water. Everything else is mulch, hardscape, shrubs and trees that I don't water at all. A lot of salvias, succulents and some bamboo that we manage to co-exist with in a love/hate symbiosis.

brokencycle

Reaction score
We're mostly landscaped with low-maintenance trees and shrubs, but there were a few small sections of grass whose chief talent seemed to be growing crabgrass and dandelions. No more. To your point, I've seen modestly-sized front yards done up nicely with rocks, gravel, & such. Some future generation will look back aghast at our once having dumped potable water on lawns.

We have zero grass. Well have too many point trees that provide shade and acidity to the soil that grass didn't like. We are all shrubs and trees with drive ground cover like creeping Jenny. Everything is pine straw or mulch, and we never need to add more pine straw because we get cubic yards of the stuff falling every year.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where i live happens to be the grass seed capital of the world lol , lawn is very easy to keep here ( the biggest issue is having to mow it every other day in mid spring it becomes incredibly verdant ) and is really one of the best local options for cover ,

still we reduced the front lawn and banked ferns in the old half under the japanese maple to get a bit more depth in the landscape ... but we'll keep lawn in both yards

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From a landscaping point of view, I like having some grass. It's like blank canvas on a painting, gives you some texture and contrast for the other plants to play off. Similar effect to the sand in Japanese gardens, just alive.

Also it's pretty useful with the dogs.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My neighbor's lawn adjacent to us is basically all clover at this point.

Honestly, it looks great when mowed and not covered in dandelions and she doesn't run the sprinklers at all. For a low traffic lawn, it seems like a pretty solid option.

We have sprinklers that the landlord makes us run (although I haven't really pushed them on it)...so I've been trying to make a bit of an effort to bring it back into shape. Why pay to water a patchy thin lawn that looks like crap? Overseeded it a few weeks ago and pulled a ton of dandelions and clover. I'm mostly pretty loathe to use chemicals, but I might do a little weed control once this seed is more established.

I will agree with Piob though...a sprinkler system with a computer controller is pretty handy when it comes to keeping fresh seed wet. No ******* way would my lazy ass have been able to keep up with a watering schedule through seed germination if it meant moving sprinklers around and manually operating things.

We also got a ton of rain...been a very wet June here which meant I didn't have to water nearly as much as I would have otherwise.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gonna have to do some experimentation on what kind of watering schedule makes the most sense now that the new seed is starting to grow and temps are starting to warm.

Want to do the bare minimum, but obviously don't want to harm the fresh grass and cause all of that initial effort/water to go to waste. The sprinkler controller has all kinds of ability to vary output based on weather conditions, but I just have no idea what a baseline is as I am new to this whole "lawn care" thing.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if anyone wants to look into one, the app-based, weather based controller I use is the Rachio.
Uses local weather stations to gauge wind, rain, temp etc.
You program your zones - what type of plants are there, grade of soil, type of soil, amount of daily sun exposure. Then the app does the rest.
Auto skips when rain is incoming. Autoskips when heavy wind is incoming. Bases watering on temp and soil moisture given inputs.
Can control it w/ an app - so I can skip or change stuff even when not in the same city.

Other great thing about it is you can essentially create as many schedules as you want - so if you have one finicky zone you can have it doing a different thing.

Also allows you to set water to variable times such as "before sunrise", so it moves the watering time throughout the year so you aren't watering and getting direct evaporation.

CA (and maybe other states) also give a rebate for this thing. I basically got it free.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a small patch of lawn

about 60x20 ft

1656352406326.png

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
His "small patch" is half the size of my back lawn lol.

brokencycle

Reaction score
where i live happens to be the grass seed capital of the world lol , lawn is very easy to keep here ( the biggest issue is having to mow it every other day in mid spring it becomes incredibly verdant ) and is really one of the best local options for cover ,

still we reduced the front lawn and banked ferns in the old half under the japanese maple to get a bit more depth in the landscape ... but we'll keep lawn in both yards

I don't recall where you live, but I thought it was upper Midwest. When we lived in MN we had a large yard that was predominately grass, and once I nuked it and reseeded the whole thing, it was really low maintenance. I never watered after the first year, and other than the quarterly fertilizer treatment, I didn't do anything to it. Before that it was a nightmare though.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if anyone wants to look into one, the app-based, weather based controller I use is the Rachio.
You program your zones - what type of plants are there, grade of soil, type of soil, amount of daily sun exposure. Then the app does the rest.
Auto skips when rain is incoming. Autoskips when heavy wind is incoming. Bases watering on temp and soil moisture given inputs.
Can control it w/ an app - so I can skip or change stuff even when not in the same city.

Other great thing about it is you can essentially create as many schedules as you want - so if you have one finicky zone you can have it doing a different thing.

Also allows you to set water to variable times such as "before sunrise", so it moves the watering time throughout the year so you aren't watering and getting direct evaporation.

CA (and maybe other states) also give a rebate for this thing. I basically got it free.

i use the hunter hydrawise…similar idea. Its great.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gonna have to do some experimentation on what kind of watering schedule makes the most sense now that the new seed is starting to grow and temps are starting to warm.

Want to do the bare minimum, but obviously don't want to harm the fresh grass and cause all of that initial effort/water to go to waste. The sprinkler controller has all kinds of ability to vary output based on weather conditions, but I just have no idea what a baseline is as I am new to this whole "lawn care" thing.

short answer is that this is why its best to overseed at the very end of summer/very early fall depending on when your first frost usually hits.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

On sale for $150 on Costco, fwiw.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On sale for $150 on Costco, fwiw.

For anyone looking be aware that's (probably) the 8 zone one. 16 zone is like $100 more usually. Consult w/ your irrigation guy w/ what you need. I'm a big fan of as specific zones as possible - currently running 14 in my yard. Better water pressure, can be more efficient w/ what types of plants you are watering etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads