• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's funny that the OP on Twitter called it the "Smurf Roof". We drive past there on occasion and we've always called it "The Smurf House". We have family friends family friends who live just across the lake to the southwest of that house and you can see that bright blue roof from about a mile away, especially in the fall and winter. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Huh. This is not that far away @Michigan Planner @greekgeek

Want to pretend we are a new age thruple and take a tour?

You had me at thruple!

OK, but why maintain the pretense anymore? 🤔

I have no idea what's up with that roof, but I expected more Dr. SEUSS influence on the inside.

Yeah, I'm sort of disappointed with the interior of that one; it's a lot more understated than I would have imagined. Thankfully (IMO), even though it's obviously been updated, the owners seemed to keep the interior pretty much inline with what you'd expect from some big old house from the 1920s. I wanted to click in and see some cocaine-fueled 1980s decadence like you can often find there in West Bloomfield. This house is just too old for that I guess. At the very least, I was really expecting to see a hoarders situation or maybe some kitsch-overload.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now that you pointed out the weeds, they are all i can focus on.

Truly beautiful flower though, how many more are you expecting?

The other color of iris popped up yesterday:

Untitled.jpg

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sort of disappointed with the interior of that one; it's a lot more understated than I would have imagined. Thankfully (IMO), even though it's obviously been updated, the owners seemed to keep the interior pretty much inline with what you'd expect from some big old house from the 1920s. I wanted to click in and see some cocaine-fueled 1980s decadence like you can often find there in West Bloomfield. This house is just too old for that I guess. At the very least, I was really expecting to see a hoarders situation or maybe some kitsch-overload.
Same, not nearly as interesting as it could have been. Just a guess here but that looks like an awful lot of Pewabic tile throughout. Might be original but I would guess it's part of the redo.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of the comments say that the roof style and color are original. I dunno, but I actually kinda dig it.

The Chevy SSRs in the garage are way uglier.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Productive trip to the specialty nursery.

Japanese princess JM. $200 for that dude because of the weird shape but I've got just the place for it. Paid almost that much for one 1/10th that size by mail order couple years ago.

Creeping thyme.

Some kind of fern? Wasn't labeled but looked nice.

Japanese larch "Peve Tunnis."

Picea abies (Norway spruce) "Pusch." Gets neat red cones on it.

Hinoki cypress "Nana Lutea"

Not sure where I'm putting all of them yet, but that's half the fun. Definitely going to mostly dwarves at this point, running out of space.

IMG_20220519_165512978_HDR.jpg

brokencycle

Reaction score
@Gibonius I have a few Fatsias. One has a few few "branches" that look like they're dying. Another has a couple that are completely dead. Should I just trim those off or will it harm the plant? The rest of the plant looks perfectly healthy.

I also have some creeping Jenny which has gone absolutely wild. Is it a risk to other shrubs and perennials?

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$200 for that dude because of the weird shape but I've got just the place for it. Paid almost that much for one 1/10th that size by mail order couple years ago.

Not sure where I'm putting all of them yet, but that's half the fun. Definitely going to mostly dwarves at this point, running out of space.
All I see is a bunch of sex jargon.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Japanese princess JM. $200 for that dude because of the weird shape but I've got just the place for it. Paid almost that much for one 1/10th that size by mail order couple years ago.
Forgot what thread I was in and thought Gibonius was buying a wife.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Gibonius I have a few Fatsias. One has a few few "branches" that look like they're dying. Another has a couple that are completely dead. Should I just trim those off or will it harm the plant? The rest of the plant looks perfectly healthy.
Always been told to just trim dead branches. If they're brittle enough to snap off, just trim 'em. Plants die back, just how they do. They'll grow back, eventually. Or sometimes they die, but it happens.

I was just trimming dieback off one of my maples today, from one of the late spring frosts. Part of the game. It'll come back.

I also have some creeping Jenny which has gone absolutely wild. Is it a risk to other shrubs and perennials?
That I don't have any experience with. Some of those groundcovers can definitely overwhelm other perennials but I can't speak to creeping Jenny specifically. We like groundcover because they grow aggressively and crowd out weeds, but then...they grow aggressively. It's a whole thing.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Peonies going nuts. Smells incredible. Itoh type hybrids, nice woody stems to hold those ridiculous flowers up but they die back to the ground in the winter unlike tree peonies. Bartzilla (yellow) and Hillary (pinkish).

You can also see the weeping bald cypress that we've been weaving through the fence for the last five years. My dad does a couple strands every time he comes over :lol:

Also "Troll" ginkgo in the back there.
IMG_20220520_191440594.jpg

IMG_20220520_191449961.jpg

Hoping they hold up to the 97F heat this weekend.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hell is previous homeowners.

I was trying to plant something, and found a whole bunch of buried bricks or slate tiles or something. At some point in the previous 70 years of this place's history, somebody definitely uttered the words "Eh that's somebody else's problem in the future" a whole bunch of times. How I hate them.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell is previous homeowners.

I was trying to plant something, and found a whole bunch of buried bricks or slate tiles or something. At some point in the previous 70 years of this place's history, somebody definitely uttered the words "Eh that's somebody else's problem in the future" a whole bunch of times. How I hate them.

we're the 3rd owner , the 2nd owner didn't do anything for the ~10 years they were here so the house is mostly original with few surprises .

that said the backyard will eat anything that doesn't float so we do occasionally find bricks etc .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads