• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a single non led light in this house.

brokencycle

Reaction score
wondering if folks are mostly running LED lighting these days ,

anybody using halogen ?

The last time I used halogen was probably 2015 or so. They get incredibly hot and don't offer any benefit over LED other than no dimmer compatibility issues. We do have one light fixture that uses xenon bulbs because they came with the fixture.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, in this exame, I have never developed a pinhole leak in a PVC trap set up :)

Not a strong believer that what local government says is "right", this is why there are varying interpretations of codes based on municipality.
Right = requires no explanation to an inspector. There are downsides to every material choice, so I’m privileging the approach which has no negative regulatory implications.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right = requires no explanation to an inspector. There are downsides to every material choice, so I’m privileging the approach which has no negative regulatory implications.
And that is fair, if you are pulling permits for work I completely agree with you, I just thought this was a one off repair. I haven't had permits or inspectors for years so it is a bit different.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last time I used halogen was probably 2015 or so. They get incredibly hot and don't offer any benefit over LED other than no dimmer compatibility issues. We do have one light fixture that uses xenon bulbs because they came with the fixture.

dimmer issues sure but also general quality of reflected color , sounds like you are happy with LED . thx !

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sigh.

I have blown in insulation in the attic. The ceilings upstairs are destroyed from previous water damage. Really bad pillowing. Basically the only way to truly fix them is to replace. Trying to decide whether to just hire a drywall contractor and say "do your best" or actually replace the ceiling.

Going to be a god damned mess to replace, but at least we could replace the blown in with batts. Once again a pain ********** since the joists/rafter ties are 2x6, which gets us only R-23 with mineral wool.

To get R-38 (which is technically what's required) we'd need to furr out to 2x10, or 2x8 for R-30.

I really want to close in the attic when we replace the roof, so replacing the ceiling and insulation doesn't really make sense now. It would be a hell of a lot easier to insulate the rafters without the ceiling in place.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigh.

I have blown in insulation in the attic. The ceilings upstairs are destroyed from previous water damage. Really bad pillowing. Basically the only way to truly fix them is to replace. Trying to decide whether to just hire a drywall contractor and say "do your best" or actually replace the ceiling.

Going to be a god damned mess to replace, but at least we could replace the blown in with batts. Once again a pain ********** since the joists/rafter ties are 2x6, which gets us only R-23 with mineral wool.

To get R-38 (which is technically what's required) we'd need to furr out to 2x10, or 2x8 for R-30.

I really want to close in the attic when we replace the roof, so replacing the ceiling and insulation doesn't really make sense now. It would be a hell of a lot easier to insulate the rafters without the ceiling in place.
If you are going to take down your entire ceiling, have you considered doing spray foam above the attic space and then batts when you reinstall the ceiling?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO abs/dwv is superior to that thinwall plated brass crap. Copper type dwv is the best but it ain't cheap. A lot of those local code variations are political

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They've gotten a lot better and a lot cheaper. Look at Phillips and Cree. They have 90+ CRI and warm on dim that mimic incandescent

i hadn't really looked into it in a long while . lumens etc ...

it's been a minor pisser as we're working with this general contractor's *designer* to make this bath work and she doesn't seem to have a lot of enthusiasm for solving issues or even priming those issues for our consideration . seems more into estimates and product . oh well . this is a pretty small pond so what could i really expect ?

we're nearly there as far as cornering the critical decisions , but , a jibbledy surprise to have to spend this much time with basic figuring

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PVC is not code-compliant here in the People's Republic of San Francisco. Like Ronny James Dio, we are all metal here.

I made the mistake of shutting off the water to the sink to prevent inadvertent use of the faucet while the drain was disconnected. This was apparently too much for the seals in the valves which had gotten too used to the status quo. Got a rush of black water when I reopened them (presumably disintegrated seals), and now the flow is much reduced.

I don't have time for this ****...

did you remove and clean your aerator?

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've gotten a lot better and a lot cheaper. Look at Phillips and Cree. They have 90+ CRI and warm on dim that mimic incandescent

all LED here as well. Pretty sure they are all Phillips as well. Good majority are on lutron caseta smart dimmers. Zero complaints.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently my son locked himself in the bathroom today. The original privacy knob actually requires a small slotted screwdriver to open from the outside rather than just pushing a pin/nail in it like most of them. You can figure this out because when you look in the hole, there is a slotted screw. My MIL, who watches my son most days while I'm at school probably couldn't see this and just figured the door latch was broke. She called the fire department then went to town on the door/frame with a screwdriver. Got him out before the fire department arrived. I'm glad everyone is ok, but also kinda bummed about my door casing. It's original 60's varnished mahogany, so it's not like I can easily repair/replace it.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Show her how to break into a lock with a credit card. I learned the skill in grad school and it's honestly worked wonders for the past 12 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics