• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any one familiar with firebacks? I am considering getting one for my fireplace to protect part of the interior and hopefully project more heat into the room. I'm wondering if they're truly effective at projecting heat.

it's on our list for sure , an external screen makes a big diff too afaik

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any one familiar with firebacks? I am considering getting one for my fireplace to protect part of the interior and hopefully project more heat into the room. I'm wondering if they're truly effective at projecting heat.
We had firebacks in our 1780 hfarm house. Very big difference, key to get one appropriately sized for the fireplace opening

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Finally got around to addressing the leak under our kitchen sink. Some ******* clown :embar: did a half-ass job installing a new garbage disposal a while back, and it needed to be fixed. One two trips to the Lowes down the hill (forgot my wallet, and those ***** still don't take Apple Pay) and got everything back together—only to discover that one of the drain pipes had developed a pinhole. Third trip to secure a replacement (which needed to be shortened because they don't carry the length I need...), and my afternoon has evaporated.

1634608199850.jpeg

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to addressing the leak under our kitchen sink. Some ******* clown :embar: did a half-ass job installing a new garbage disposal a while back, and it needed to be fixed. One two trips to the Lowes down the hill (forgot my wallet, and those ***** still don't take Apple Pay) and got everything back together—only to discover that one of the drain pipes had developed a pinhole. Third trip to secure a replacement (which needed to be shortened because they don't carry the length I need...), and my afternoon has evaporated.

View attachment 1687995
Pulling a @Van Veen I see :/

Any thought to reaching all of that with pvc?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pulling a @Van Veen I see :/

Any thought to reaching all of that with pvc?
PVC is not code-compliant here in the People's Republic of San Francisco. Like Ronny James Dio, we are all metal here.

I made the mistake of shutting off the water to the sink to prevent inadvertent use of the faucet while the drain was disconnected. This was apparently too much for the seals in the valves which had gotten too used to the status quo. Got a rush of black water when I reopened them (presumably disintegrated seals), and now the flow is much reduced.

I don't have time for this ****...

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PVC is not code-compliant here in the People's Republic of San Francisco. Like Ronny James Dio, we are all metal here.

I made the mistake of shutting off the water to the sink to prevent inadvertent use of the faucet while the drain was disconnected. This was apparently too much for the seals in the valves which had gotten too used to the status quo. Got a rush of black water when I reopened them (presumably disintegrated seals), and now the flow is much reduced.

I don't have time for this ****...
You worry about code? I just do **** and don't let inspectors come in.

Althought in San Francisco I suppose it is more like the the inspector's let you back in when they are done...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You worry about code? I just do **** and don't let inspectors come in.

Althought in San Francisco I suppose it is more like the the inspector's let you back in when they are done...
The level of effort to be compliant is essentially the same, so why not do it the right way?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My last apartment had a PVC drain pipe in the kitchen (not allowed in Chicago either)...

Building maintenance guy commented on it once...but he still fixed the clog even though he "wasn't supposed to"

That said, yeah, when you're just replacing a single piece in an existing system, seems easier to just stick with it.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The level of effort to be compliant is essentially the same, so why not do it the right way?

Well, in this exame, I have never developed a pinhole leak in a PVC trap set up :)

Not a strong believer that what local government says is "right", this is why there are varying interpretations of codes based on municipality.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a plumber come do some work on a condo I once owned:

Him: "This pipework here is not up to code."
Me: "What do we do about it?"
Him: "Nothing."
Exactly

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wondering if folks are mostly running LED lighting these days ,

anybody using halogen ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads