• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep. As I thought, they refused our offer. I don't blame them, I would have done the same. Oh well, the dream lives on.

lefty

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. As I thought, they refused our offer. I don't blame them, I would have done the same. Oh well, the dream lives on.

lefty
Wait and see what they relist it at, maybe buy it again if they lower it enough. Or see if it sits

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had considered that. If I really wanted I should have offered more but I was getting caught up in the game.

My guess is that they'll go to the offer that we beat, disclose the cesspool and propose a solid discount.

Though, if it is relisted, I might offer under an LLC so they don't know it's me. As I've already done an inspection and know the place well, I could offer cash and waive the inspection, which should get their interest.

And then show up at the close like Jesse in Breaking Bad.

lefty

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had considered that. If I really wanted I should have offered more but I was getting caught up in the game.

My guess is that they'll go to the offer that we beat, disclose the cesspool and propose a solid discount.

Though, if it is relisted, I might offer under an LLC so they don't know it's me. As I've already done an inspection and know the place well, I could offer cash and waive the inspection, which should get their interest.

And then show up at the close like Jesse in Breaking Bad.

lefty
Do it.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who was talking about thatch? This was only half of my lawn.
6CCBE3C1-5B09-46D2-B7F4-F66EEE4574EE.jpeg

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“Dethatched” with a power rake and overseeded a few weeks ago. Hard work but so satisfying and necessary if you are compulsive about your lawn.

FWIW, that is not thatch, it is lawn debris… and more often than not its what actually causes problems.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct as thatch is actually a oart of the soil layer. I am scarifying and overseeding once my lawn guy aerates and then spreading a peat moss layer. Hopefully things will hold till winter but hoping to have a better start next spring.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weren't for debris I wouldn't have no lawn

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct as thatch is actually a oart of the soil layer. I am scarifying and overseeding once my lawn guy aerates and then spreading a peat moss layer. Hopefully things will hold till winter but hoping to have a better start next spring.

where do you live and what type of seed are you planting?

Re: aeration, you sound knowledgable, but i find it to be a scam 9 times out of 10, if not more, unless you have had construction equipment on the lawn or something like that or are in a region that has constant heavy snow.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was part of my, seemingly ok lawn, before and after a once over with the power rake. The second pass perpendicular to the first pulled up even more but i was too tired for pics at that point.

People, and most landscapers, seem to forget that a thick lawn for 3 seasons is a totally unnatural thing and grass is constantly dying and regrowing. Mother nature simply cannot break down the dead stuff below fast enough.

39CEF79D-D349-405F-8745-F252523A0797.jpeg
E68FD5F1-E44D-4DE2-B693-40F973DDA7D7.jpeg

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where do you live and what type of seed are you planting?

Re: aeration, you sound knowledgable, but i find it to be a scam 9 times out of 10, if not more, unless you have had construction equipment on the lawn or something like that or are in a region that has constant heavy snow.
Midwest and planting a mix of KBG, rye and fescue. There is a lot of compaction in areas which is why I aerated this spring and again this fall. Walking around there are really a lot of hard areas and I don't want to till up whatever grass is there. After the aeration I am planning on scooping the plugs and using them to level some really bad areas. I really want to do a full level but I don't have the equipment to spread 2 truckloads of loam and run a drag, etc. Instead this fall I am experimenting with scarifying to cut some slits and then overseeding and seeing how things look in a month and early next spring. Worst case is I have a jump start on leveling with an already dead lawn. ?

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rye will do fine. It germinates quickly. Fescue wont be far behind. The KBG is iffy. Always takes the longest to germinate and then seems to take forever to grow.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's more what our thatch looked like last week , not too much green but then again i let the grass senesce in the summer .

the underlying soil senesces as well , we'd dug out a very large very old stump and repaired the grade last year , then rounded it all out with a compost / loam mix over seed (70% perennial rye and the rest fine fescue) , should be a pretty nice surface by spring . finished yesterday , just in time for the first rain event of the season .

i should post a before / after plan we really flipped over the front yard this past season

next stop : the backyard .

ellsbebc

Reaction score
Am I the only one with warm season grass? It’s my first year with a reel mower and been maintaining my 5k sqft side yard of common Bermuda at 1.25”.

4269B539-D10B-4648-9F18-6580FAC692F7.jpeg

Last month I scalped all 18k sqft down to 0.4”, aerated, and spread 19 yards (23 tons) of sand to help smooth out all the low spots. Hoping to keep the side yard at 0.75-1.0” next year. Produced at least 30 lawn bags of clippings.

E2D6DC4B-9F45-49B2-A15B-646219E48756.jpeg

6A440FF7-A973-456C-9374-A36B97C19798.jpeg
This was two weeks after the sand. Maintaining at 1.5” rotary until it goes dormant because I don’t want to dull my reel mower with all the loose sand.
E3AFE321-9134-44BD-933E-D37FA83B7F54.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads