• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mrs. vV is now having second thoughts about moving the laundry to the second floor. Not a huge deal, except she hit one of my pet peeves: "we might want to live on the first floor when we're older and less mobile."

personally I am planning to be mobile enough to go up stairs for another 30 years at least. we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gas is no big deal. Its safe as long as you know what you're doing and the basics are pretty simple. Done this a number of times myself. Called a hot tie in.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Looks like one of those "Ye Olde Prime Rib" style chain restaurants from the 70's with an "all you can eat salad bar"

Who doesn't go to Medieval Times and think, "I want to live here."

No, I've never been to Medieval Times.

Mrs. vV is now having second thoughts about moving the laundry to the second floor. Not a huge deal, except she hit one of my pet peeves: "we might want to live on the first floor when we're older and less mobile."

personally I am planning to be mobile enough to go up stairs for another 30 years at least. we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

My wife is big on this topic, but having helped her up the 3 flights of stairs to our unit after two separate major surgeries, I tend to agree with her.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gas is no big deal. Its safe as long as you know what you're doing and the basics are pretty simple. Done this a number of times myself. Called a hot tie in.

#1 on my list of **** I am not going to do

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DIY on gas lines is a big no here. Unless you want to risk losing insurance coverage. Has to be done by someone certified.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was just looking at a Zillow listing for an 8-bedroom home in my favorite part of Nova Scotia on a acre of land (that is selling for less than half of what we paid for our home)3. I wonder if I can talk my wife into a summer home.

Where is this favourite part of NS?

Radio silence from our farm sellers. I did hear from our agent that they did a cesspool test on Tuesday and discovered massive failure with no quick fix, so their options are limited unless they want to pull it, invest in a new system and relist in the spring. They have until the EOD tomorrow.

On another note, our asshole buyer of the NYC pad just backed out after keeping us engaged for two months. We will reduce the price for a few weeks to see if that will generate interest, but if not, we will winter in NYC as well as Mexico and retry in April.

Things could be worse, I guess.

lefty

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you’ll have better luck if you share some pictures of stuff you like so that people can make relevant suggestions

Sure.

Here goes, a few pics of rooms we like:
For what its worth, we're in the market for (not all at once); nightstands, low wide dresser for wife, small narrow, high dresser for me, bench for foot of bed, all things living room (new sofa, loveseat, lounge chair, ottoman)
1631811314608.png

We like the look of this bedroom set.
1631811765353.png

We already purchased the above bedframe

1631811390842.png

Like the look of the sofa and sidebaord above, lounge chair a little too modern, but OK
1631811489377.png

Like color palette here, sofa not perfect.....

Thinking possibly this from Joybird:
1631812364390.png

Again, any recommendations for good price to value furniture shopping.....

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recommend Room and Board. The general aesthetic should work for you. It is of higher quality than places like West Elm, Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, etc. Pricing may be a a little more than those places, but not by much, so the value is there. You're in the D.C. region, right? There's a nice show room on 14th Street NW.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We like room and board as well. We redid our basement and made it into a game room/media room/hangout space and got out couches and chairs from there. Very comfy with a nice clean look. And quality is there for sure.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recommend Room and Board. The general aesthetic should work for you. It is of higher quality than places like West Elm, Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, etc. Pricing may be a a little more than those places, but not by much, so the value is there. You're in the D.C. region, right? There's a nice show room on 14th Street NW.

Ordered a R+B dresser in March....still hasn't arrived. Much Sad.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the recommendation.

And yes, DC region, a little closer to B.more, but DC not terrible to get to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads