• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How weird is it for a ceiling fan to be connected to 2 different circuits?

The switched wire for the light goes to a different breaker than the always-on wire for the fan motor.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The switched wire for the light goes to a different breaker than the always-on wire for the fan motor.

Sounds like

FE8y.gif

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean.....sure, you can do it this way.

If you like electrocuting unsuspecting owners after you.

Seriously though, you can do that per NEC, but really, it is just an asshole thing to do in my opinion unless it's labeled and marked. .my assumption is it was done that way due to ease of running wire from existing fixtures. In other words, pure laziness

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love how they imply how it can be used for a car collection when there doesn’t seem to be any way to get a car inside
Hotwheels or those diecast car models can easily fit through that door.

brokencycle

Reaction score

Our house had two rooms that had that: one switch for fan light, one for fan motor (so not direct wired always on). In fact, one has the light on a 3 way and the motor only at one location. When we renovated, the electrician insisted on putting two switches for each fan despite the fact that all the fans we bought don't have separate wiring for lights and motors.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean.....sure, you can do it this way.

If you like electrocuting unsuspecting owners after you.

Seriously though, you can do that per NEC, but really, it is just an asshole thing to do in my opinion unless it's labeled and marked. .my assumption is it was done that way due to ease of running wire from existing fixtures. In other words, pure laziness

Well, luckily I remembered when reinstalling this fan that I shocked myself when removing it 6-7 years ago to install a pendant lamp (that is moving with me hence the fan going back up)...

So I tested the mystery wire before uncapping it and stripping a fresh end...hot.

But this is a concrete building...I don't see how this could be easy... It's not like there are wires floating around in an open attic. There is a small junction box embedded in the concrete ceiling and then the wires must come through conduit. Where the **** did someone even find another circuit to tap into? There's no outlets on the wall with the switch either.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, luckily I remembered when reinstalling this fan that I shocked myself when removing it 6-7 years ago to install a pendant lamp (that is moving with me hence the fan going back up)...

So I tested the mystery wire before uncapping it and stripping a fresh end...hot.

But this is a concrete building...I don't see how this could be easy... It's not like there are wires floating around in an open attic. There is a small junction box embedded in the concrete ceiling and then the wires must come through conduit. Where the **** did someone even find another circuit to tap into? There's no outlets on the wall with the switch either.
That is super weird then. I mean super strange why not run dedicated power off the hot side of the existing switch. Really strange. Glad you remembered. I found some hot wires the other day by cutting I to them and arcing my cutters. Good times

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just left a note in the breaker box...but to keep the mystery alive, I just said the motor is on a different circuit, but didn't tell them which.

Actually, that's because I don't know which one it is on. After finding it was hot, I just flipped every breaker for the whole apartment and now I'm too lazy to go one-by-one to figure it out.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, that's because I don't know which one it is on. After finding it was hot, I just flipped every breaker for the whole apartment and now I'm too lazy to go one-by-one to figure it out.
This is Peak Styleforum Home Improvement thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our house had two rooms that had that: one switch for fan light, one for fan motor (so not direct wired always on). In fact, one has the light on a 3 way and the motor only at one location. When we renovated, the electrician insisted on putting two switches for each fan despite the fact that all the fans we bought don't have separate wiring for lights and motors.

i wonder if that's not to prevent a breaker trip when both fan n light are turned on ? is there still a single master switch on the wall ?

brokencycle

Reaction score
i wonder if that's not to prevent a breaker trip when both fan n light are turned on ? is there still a single master switch on the wall ?

Why having two switches? The electrician said it is for convenience so you can leave both the light and fan on and then just control with the wall switch. That totally makes sense, except, in our case, the fans don't have the ability to be separately wired.

Energy wise, I can't see how any modern fan could trip a circuit. If you're buying a new fan, it should really be a DC motor. As an example, the new fan motors draw 3-30W and move 2000-6000 cubic feet of air/minute. Contrast that with your contractor special fan at Home Depot that is 15-70W and moves <2000-3000 cubic feet of air/minute.

On the light side, at most the cheap fans are supporting 3x 60W bulbs, so you'd be at ~250W with the fan motor which should be ~2A and well under the 15A circuit limit.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Scummy agent is kind of glossing over the "Can only be used as a Data House, no other use permitted." bit.

Looks like that listing is for a rental rather than for the sale.

Assuming the current owners were only willing to rent it out to people who would use it as currently set up rather than other purposes. But now that it is for sale, I assume other uses would be fine as long as they meet the zoning/HOA requirements (e.g. you could rebuild/extensively modify into a house if you wanted).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads