• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
With the kitchens I wonder if they're counting the outdoor ones too? I think I saw two or three of those.

Where I grew up all Italian families had two kitchens, one in the basement. That one always puzzled me.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the kitchens I wonder if they're counting the outdoor ones too? I think I saw two or three of those.

Where I grew up all Italian families had two kitchens, one in the basement. That one always puzzled me.
That’s for their son who does not move out until he’s 30.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You're a little bit wrong. Yes, he doesn't move out until he's 30, but he's never going to cook a meal for himself. Momma takes care of all that and then his wife does. What the wife cooks, of course, is never as good as what Momma cooks.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to fix a sticking door? I have these double doors that stick along the top edge when I open or shut them. My impression is it's related to the hinge of one of the doors - the screws securing it to the jamb do not fully tighten (all the others are fully tightened). My local hardware store suggested inserting plastic wood (a glue like product) into the drill holes, letting it dry, and screwing the screws back in. No luck, the door still sticks. Any other suggestions? The door still shuts and opens but only with some force so this is driving me crazy! Especially since it only seems to be a millimeter or so to get the door operating smoothly. I plan on re-trying the "glue" again tomorrow but being more aggressive with my application but hoping to see if other ideas are available.

I fixed the door! I did the second aggressive reapplication of the glue and more matchsticks toothpicks which failed. So finally went back to the store and picked up 2.5 inch screws and drilled them into the original screw holes. I did a little sanding of the top of the door too and the door now closes/opens quite well. Now, I just need to touch up the door where some paint wore out during the sticking period.

On a different subject. Are any of you familiar with the following store (https://www.grooves-inc.com/)? They have some home items (think fancy cutlery) at 60-80% discount I really want to take advantage of but I'm a little suspicious of the too good to be true price. A their mediocre score on Trustpilot indicates they are legit but have erratic delivery.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't even have a TV in our main living space, it's down in the basement. If I'm going to watch TV, I'll commit to focusing on it, rather than just having it on as a noise/distraction source.

Can you convince my wife of this?

We're looking at a house, but its a renovated older house and there's just not enough space in the main open living area to have what I would consider an adequate TV setup AND a decent size dining table. The current owners have my pet peeve TV-over-tall-fireplace and a tiny little table (would be tight with 4 adults), that's tucked more into the kitchen area.

They also have a livingroom/TV setup in a finished basement...but I can't convince her that it won't be damp and cold down there and I can only slightly convince her that it doesn't matter that it is dark down there with tiny basement windows because we only watch TV at night anyways...

Of course since we are looking at this house virtually, I also have no way to know if it is even possible to make the basement cozy. Maybe it will be damp and cold no matter what we do.

ellsbebc

Reaction score
I fixed the door! I did the second aggressive reapplication of the glue and more matchsticks which failed. So finally went back to the store and picked up 2.5 inch screws and drilled them into the original screw holes. I did a little sanding of the top of the door too and the door now closes/opens quite well. Now, I just need to touch up the door where some paint wore out during the sticking period.

On a different subject. Are any of you familiar with the following store (https://www.grooves-inc.com/)? They have some home items (think fancy cutlery) at 60-80% discount I really want to take advantage of but I'm a little suspicious of the too good to be true price. A their mediocre score on Trustpilot indicates they are legit but have erratic delivery.

If you ever have to do this again, grab a golf tee instead of match sticks. Hammer it in and snap off the top part of the tee.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gudanuf Construction a subsidiary of Small and Stink.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not looking in anywhere close to this price range, but not all that far (geographically) from a house we actually are interested in. Raising the question of who wants to live like this and for **** sake why? What kind of internal narrative is running as you ponce through your podunk Petit Trianon?

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not looking in anywhere close to this price range, but not all that far (geographically) from a house we actually are interested in. Raising the question of who wants to live like this and for **** sake why? What kind of internal narrative is running as you ponce through your podunk Petit Trianon?

Hey, don't kink shame. Some people like to dress up in pantaloons and pretend they are Louis xiii.
**** me that is hideous.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, don't kink shame. Some people like to dress up in pantaloons and pretend they are Louis xiii.
**** me that is hideous.
If the house comes with an unlimited supply of Louis Tre I’d be down to dress up in pantaloons and pretend like I’m the Sun King’s dad.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
**** me that is hideous.
How can you not love this understated elegance?
db71f673125fbcc87f8dcff6c91f31ce-cc_ft_768.jpg

8a31055a072dcf754dede0804205fb0e-cc_ft_768.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads