• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya...so home depot has African. But their prices are absurd and it just sits there cause no one buys it there. The are pricing by linear foot instead of board foot and its a real rip off.

The local lumbar yard I trust and like in So Cal (Ganahl) has not been able to get a successful shipment of African in since April, including at their main lumber yard distro. So all they have left is left over lengths (nothing over 8').
This is all well and good, but he was totally making a penis joke.

Also, your home Depot self mahogany!? Fancy ass **** right there

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One crazy thing to me about my house is that it's essentially an open floorplan from 1958. I think the kitchen was originally closed off (& opened up with a half wall in a reno, but maybe even that is original). But based on the wiring, window locations, & continuous wood floor, I think the layout is original.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You should have slow played your hand and visited when the temps are miserable and she would have reconsidered unemployment vs. moving to Atlanta.
Bruh. You and I both know that his cards are already on the table.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5djfpk.jpg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I routinely look at listings to see if there is anything interesting out there, but also to see the terrible ****. Recently, she said that real estate listings should show a picture of the people who live in each house as the last picture, to in some way offer an explanation of what we've just seen. I think thats a brilliant idea, at least for entertainment purposes...

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The more I think about my house, the more I wonder about the person who built it. Just such a weird house for the era.

It's a mostly open floorplan built in 1958, but it looks a traditional ranch facade, not modernist. And the upstairs bedrooms are huge, especially for the era. What will eventually be the "master" is over 310 sqft., which would have been like 15% of the square footage as originally built. The other upstairs bedroom isn't much smaller.

I tried googling the guy, but he has the same name as somebody who founded a big national construction company. Don't think it's the same guy.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more I think about my house, the more I wonder about the person who built it. Just such a weird house for the era.

It's a mostly open floorplan built in 1958, but it looks a traditional ranch facade, not modernist. And the upstairs bedrooms are huge, especially for the era. What will eventually be the "master" is over 310 sqft., which would have been like 15% of the square footage as originally built. The other upstairs bedroom isn't much smaller.

I tried googling the guy, but he has the same name as somebody who founded a big national construction company. Don't think it's the same guy.

The old guy who built my last house was an engineer named Mr. Hughes. Everything we a little overboard from a building standpoint as it took a whole day to remove a small soffit in a bathroom. Nothing was wrong but when you were going to adjust/add/change something, you had to get into his mindset as to why it was that way in the first place. The new owners are changing a ton and dropping at least 50% of the purchase price in upgrades...

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our garbage disposal looks to have given up the ghost. It started leaking/dripping when we run the dishwasher. I realized the big plastic nut that secures the top of the unit to the underside of the sink was loose, so I tightened that by hand and it seemed to work. Except my wife texted me earlier today and said it started leaking again when she ran water in the sink without using the disposal.

And, one of the 'teeth' inside the sink part of the disposal has come completely off--not the actual grinder part, but the ones that swing and fling the food particles to the actual grinder. It's strange, though, because it doesn't even look broken. It just looks like the rivet somehow worked its way loose.

Looking online, it seems most say to just replace the whole unit because you have to disassemble it anyway to DIY new teeth installation, and hiring someone to come do it doesn't make sense vs. cost of purchasing new. I assume the one we have is original to the house, so it's about 10 years old which seems to be expected lifespan.

Luckily, there are garbage disposal deals to be had for Amazon Prime Day. Not the sexiest Prime Day purchase, but hey that's #dadlife. Anyone ever tackled a DIY disposal installation? I'm planning on measuring ours when I get home and then ordering one this evening so I can have it for installation by the weekend. I'd consider myself a bit above average in DIY home stuff, I'm comfortable working with plumbing. System seems pretty straightforward. Anything to consider before I buy?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s pretty easy! I go with the 1hp evolution XL. Somewhat counter intuitively, the larger more expensive units are also quieter because they use more sound deadening tech.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Our garbage disposal looks to have given up the ghost. It started leaking/dripping when we run the dishwasher. I realized the big plastic nut that secures the top of the unit to the underside of the sink was loose, so I tightened that by hand and it seemed to work. Except my wife texted me earlier today and said it started leaking again when she ran water in the sink without using the disposal.

And, one of the 'teeth' inside the sink part of the disposal has come completely off--not the actual grinder part, but the ones that swing and fling the food particles to the actual grinder. It's strange, though, because it doesn't even look broken. It just looks like the rivet somehow worked its way loose.

Looking online, it seems most say to just replace the whole unit because you have to disassemble it anyway to DIY new teeth installation, and hiring someone to come do it doesn't make sense vs. cost of purchasing new. I assume the one we have is original to the house, so it's about 10 years old which seems to be expected lifespan.

Luckily, there are garbage disposal deals to be had for Amazon Prime Day. Not the sexiest Prime Day purchase, but hey that's #dadlife. Anyone ever tackled a DIY disposal installation? I'm planning on measuring ours when I get home and then ordering one this evening so I can have it for installation by the weekend. I'd consider myself a bit above average in DIY home stuff, I'm comfortable working with plumbing. System seems pretty straightforward. Anything to consider before I buy?

I have done a garbage disposal before. The only real challenge is getting all the pipes to line up if the new disposal is a different size/layout.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done a garbage disposal before. The only real challenge is getting all the pipes to line up if the new disposal is a different size/layout.

Dont forget to remove the plug in the line where the dishwasher drain comes in under the disposal. Otherwise, a very easy installation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads