• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
In the 90s there was a bar in Pontiac, Michigan in a former church, Clutch Cargo's. I saw some good acts there, like Brian Setzer Orchestra, Foo Fighters, and Our Lady Peace. I think it's since gone out of business and is back as a church.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the 90s there was a bar in Pontiac, Michigan in a former church, Clutch Cargo's. I saw some good acts there, like Brian Setzer Orchestra, Foo Fighters, and Our Lady Peace. I think it's since gone out of business and is back as a church.

Clutch Cargo's did indeed sadly return to being a church. It was a pretty good venue for concerts with a few different stages that could be utilized at the same time and great acoustics throughout.

I also saw Foo Fighters and Our Lady Peace there in the 90s. Maybe we crossed paths. For the size/capacity of the facility, Clutch Cargo's was always able to draw some pretty big names. Some other standout shows I saw there: Radiohead, Dinosaur Jr., Ben Folds Five, Pulp, Uncle Tupelo.

For @Fueco, there is a vacant warehouse in Pontiac, MI that was a climbing gym in its most recent use. Maybe he can move in and bring it back to its former glory!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[
Ahhhhhhh clutch cargo's. It is indeed a church again.

Send like you and MP were crossing paths. Were you guys hoovering schneef in the back rooms?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Clutch Cargo's did indeed sadly return to being a church. It was a pretty good venue for concerts with a few different stages that could be utilized at the same time and great acoustics throughout.

I also saw Foo Fighters and Our Lady Peace there in the 90s. Maybe we crossed paths. For the size/capacity of the facility, Clutch Cargo's was always able to draw some pretty big names. Some other standout shows I saw there: Radiohead, Dinosaur Jr., Ben Folds Five, Pulp, Uncle Tupelo.

For @Fueco, there is a vacant warehouse in Pontiac, MI that was a climbing gym in its most recent use. Maybe he can move in and bring it back to its former glory!

I moved out of Michigan just a few years after it opened. The 90s were great in the Windsor/Detroit area for seeing bands in small venues. From The Tragically Hip to Nirvana, so many bands came through the area on the way up, or were snagged into a small venue for old time's sake.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live on former church grounds.
The deed for the ground actually proves it. As the city gave the land to the church in the 1920s, they stipulated that it was never to be used for a sex, gun or gambling shop, and when church related it had to be approved by the church council in the Netherlands. In perpetuity, so those rules also apply to me and whomever I sell to.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Changing the lock is like 5 total screws...I will gladly come take a look for 1500
This is a mortised lock. Were it a simple knob lock set ... I'd have more faith. Hell, I'm already an expert at "doing" knobs.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The deed for the ground actually proves it. As the city gave the land to the church in the 1920s, they stipulated that it was never to be used for a sex, gun or gambling shop, and when church related it had to be approved by the church council in the Netherlands. In perpetuity, so those rules also apply to me and whomever I sell to.

Sort of puts a damper on the most interesting work from home opportunities!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thing you just run an undergroun
This is a mortised lock. Were it a simple knob lock set ... I'd have more faith. Hell, I'm already an expert at "doing" knobs.
Mortised lock set isn't difficult either, I had them in my 1780 farm house in Connecticut!

I don't know much about doing knobs, but maybe we can sort it out together!

• Haha
Reactions: RSS

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that the city can hold a 10k a week fine over my head over this, I’m not really inclined to look for the loopholes in this particular contract.

Besides, all of this would require random people coming over. I’ll pass.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given that the city can hold a 10k a week fine over my head over this, I’m not really inclined to look for the loopholes in this particular contract.

So, just a rec dispensary then?

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, but think of the premium you could charge people for the sexy pole dances in the middle of a gun range while they at roulette experience. Easily more than 10k a day.

Besides, as I recall, you are European. Renounce the church, steal their land, and start your own new church with better rules.

Problem solved!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did they stipulate that the building can’t be converted to a Church of Satan?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics