• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I also have Google Fiber and they offered me the same 2GB deal. Doesn't seem worth the extra cash. 1GB is more than enough.

Most people would be better off spending the extra money upgrading the home's Wi-Fi network. That's usually the bottleneck when you have those types of speeds being pumped into the home.

To get anything close to those posted speeds you really need 802.11ac primarily for the MIMO benefits, but that's max speed is 433Mbps (on the 2.4GHz spectrum), but you really need to go to 802.11ax to start seeing wireless benefits of 1Gb or above.

Wired is a different ball of wax.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sucks. I get 500/500 consistently. We can have 3-4 streams going with no one getting buffering or anything.

Edit: The bastards have been screwing me. Over the last week my speed has only averaged 494/450.
To get anything close to those posted speeds you really need 802.11ac primarily for the MIMO benefits, but that's max speed is 433Mbps (on the 2.4GHz spectrum), but you really need to go to 802.11ax to start seeing wireless benefits of 1Gb or above.

Wired is a different ball of wax.

Based on this info, I have 802.11ac. Don't know where my hangup is. I have no experience with any of this **** so will likely accept my slow speeds as I have no clue where to start...

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1gb+ is worth it if you hardwire your tv and/or have multiple people streaming on wifi at the same time which is not unusual.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depending on the size of your house and construction, having a couple of walls between you and the Wi-Fi router can cause a huge drop in performance. Newer home Wi-Fi Mesh Network devices can go a long way towards solving this. This allows you to have access points at various spots in your home to maximize the strength of your network based on your needs.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on the size of your house and construction, having a couple of walls between you and the Wi-Fi router can cause a huge drop in performance. Newer home Wi-Fi Mesh Network devices can go a long way towards solving this. This allows you to have access points at various spots in your home to maximize the strength of your network based on your needs.

I have this AmpliFi system and Arris modem. Our house is a little more than 4K fq ft and the ports are all in great places. There is likely some sort of setting adjustments I could make on my end but again...don't know what to do.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this AmpliFi system and Arris modem. Our house is a little more than 4K fq ft and the ports are all in great places. There is likely some sort of setting adjustments I could make on my end but again...don't know what to do.

Have same setup and works quite well. Though my Arris is getting kinda old.

brokencycle

Reaction score

It is real easy to check where the bottleneck is. Do you have any hardwired computers? If so, go to speedtest.net and run the test. Then run it on a laptop. You can also try it in a few spots in the house. My wired connection easily gets the 500Mb all the time. My laptop gets ~100Mb.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d kill for symmetrical speeds. I live in a 100y old neighborhood and as such there’s only copper in the ground. So I pay for cable tv that I don’t use because it’s a package with internet, they cannot turn of the cable tv signal. And I get 900mbps down, with 50 mbps up. That’s no typo.

In the next two years I’m supposed to get fiber, which will instantly get me to 1k/1k. I’ll be glad to be rid of this provider when it happens.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is real easy to check where the bottleneck is. Do you have any hardwired computers? If so, go to speedtest.net and run the test. Then run it on a laptop. You can also try it in a few spots in the house. My wired connection easily gets the 500Mb all the time. My laptop gets ~100Mb.

Nothing hard wired but getting 100Mb on laptop and slightly higher on phone from same location. Will need to get an adapter to hardwire but no real reason to currently.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Data drops FTW.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My options:
500MB: $55/mo
1GB: $70/mo
2GB: $100/mo

All speeds are symmetric. I'm actually only at the 500MB today which I've never had a bottleneck today.
Spectrum offered me $30/mo for 400mb, 2 years no contract. I'm on AT&T's similar mid-tier plan for $45/mo. I ******* hate Spectrum with the fire of 1000 suns which is the only thing giving me pause. Google is installing a few blocks over. I'm sure that's why this is happening. Spectrum actually sent a door-to-door salesman last week.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Spectrum offered me $30/mo for 400mb, 2 years no contract. I'm on AT&T's similar mid-tier plan for $45/mo. I ******* hate Spectrum with the fire of 1000 suns which is the only thing giving me pause. Google is installing a few blocks over. I'm sure that's why this is happening. Spectrum actually sent a door-to-door salesman last week.

That's exactly why, but if my experience is indicative, Google is 6 months out from when they lay the cable.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** all y'all with your fiber.

I live in the tech capital of the world and either have to use Comcast or microwave. My comcast is theoretically 1 GB (what I pay for) but I get at most 450 down (and typically substantially less) and 6 up. That's on GB ethernet but I also run unifi access points for wireless devices.

The download speed doesn't really matter to me but the upload speed is annoying. A consistent 150mb down is plenty for multiple zoom calls, streaming videos (25 mbps for 4k), etc. but the upload can be a bottleneck. Unless you are regularly downloading multi GB files, the topline download speed is less of a factor than latency. The consistency/reliability of fiber is a huge selling point as well.

My other alternative is AT&T DSL which is 768 kbps. Awesome.

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's exactly why, but if my experience is indicative, Google is 6 months out from when they lay the cable.
I guess I'll call AT&T and see if they can match Spectrum's offer. If not, maybe I can tolerate Spectrum for a couple of years.

AT&T also kind of pisses me off because they hung their fiber optic cable so low that I have to duck under it when I mow my lawn.

God I hate telecom companies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads