• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another item added to the "DIY tasks I do not enjoy" list:

Caulking.
It's one of those things like brush painting that's kind of fun once you get good at it. A lot of the plumbing contractors I worked for had "finish guys" who did nothing but set fixtures. They made it look really easy. I was not one of those guys.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I am a pretty good painter and I enjoy doing it. Caulking, too. Pull a bead, smear it smooth with a rag or a finger, what's not to like.

I varnished 20' of handrail last year, which really stretched my brushing skills. I got a really nice mirror finish out of it, and no drips, stray bristles, or bubbles.

I'm better at tasks that require hand-eye coordination more than precision.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
You want me to pull your bead?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, uh, before we were talking about caulk, people were talking about plants...

Dogwood (celestial shadow). Funny dogwood, the flowers are unimpressive (this is the best they get), but the foliage is amazing all season.

IMG_20210508_191433559.jpg

Clematis;

IMG_20210508_191529261.jpg

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for scale, here's ours (dogwood) out the office window i'm inhabiting.

IMGP6328.JPG

it's really the specimen of our house, along with the red maple out front. i can't believe it's still alive given the negligence of the previous folks. but. a good tree!

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dogwoods are funny, they mostly don't need any care at all, or they just mysteriously die. I don't think I've watered either of mine since they got planted. One has grown 5+ feet, the other is....alive.

I've always liked the ones with the dark pink flowers. My neighbors have one, it's a real highlight in late April.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's one of those things like brush painting that's kind of fun once you get good at it. A lot of the plumbing contractors I worked for had "finish guys" who did nothing but set fixtures. They made it look really easy. I was not one of those guys.
Looking at it again, it's not all that bad, and some parts are downright good. It's just that I used white caulk when I should have used gray. (Did not even know gray existed until today.)

I think I just like the tasks where I can make a mess and fix it up later.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Dogwoods are funny, they mostly don't need any care at all, or they just mysteriously die. I don't think I've watered either of mine since they got planted. One has grown 5+ feet, the other is....alive.

I've always liked the ones with the dark pink flowers. My neighbors have one, it's a real highlight in late April.

We made a hedge of red twig dogwoods along a chain link fence at our old house. I loved those things. They grew like crazy, completely blocked the fence 6-7 months out of the year, and in the winter, they had a lovely red Christmas-y color to them.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little Sunday morning comedy. Yesterday I went to the pond store to get some plants for our small pond. While there, I saw some fish and decided what the hell you know. $10 and some fish food and I was on my way. Well this morning the boys and I go out to check on them and they are missing from the pond. Not even 18hrs of enjoyment. My wife instantly thought predator but due to the short timing, I wonder what sorts of animals come to the pond nightly for a drink? I’ve never seen cats around here but it could be some sort of bird. Who knows.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little Sunday morning comedy. Yesterday I went to the pond store to get some plants for our small pond. While there, I saw some fish and decided what the hell you know. $10 and some fish food and I was on my way. Well this morning the boys and I go out to check on them and they are missing from the pond. Not even 18hrs of enjoyment. My wife instantly thought predator but due to the short timing, I wonder what sorts of animals come to the pond nightly for a drink? I’ve never seen cats around here but it could be some sort of bird. Who knows.
I mean, look at it this way, you spent 10$ for 15 hours of enjoyment, that is a pretty good hourly rate.

Plus, you got to make a sacrifice to the bird gods, that is always appreciated

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably a heron. Cats you would have seen, they take more time. A heron can be quite quick.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's just that I used white caulk when I should have used gray. (Did not even know gray existed until today.)

Never seen a gray one. White or black? Sure, lots of those. Many different shades of brown as well, but gray? That just seems weird.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads