• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is basically my house, except replace the kid **** with tools.

What's that gate setup, though? Right now we just have an x-pen surrounding the piano to keep the pets out.

It’s meant to keep the kids contained, but the two older ones can open the gates, so it’s keeping the dogs contained, at least until the youngest kid starts crawling around everywhere.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is that a hookah?
Why are there empty mason jars under your table?
Why three mismatched pillows?
Why do you have a stuffed animal?
And why does he have what looks like a child’s bumper around him?
What was the rationale behind the picture hanging?

lefty
What's the deal with the CAPNSLW license plate? Is it because you cut your meth with cole slaw?
It’s meant to keep the kids contained, but the two older ones can open the gates, so it’s keeping the dogs contained, at least until the youngest kid starts crawling around everywhere.
What brand is it? / Where can I get one?

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Protest the valuation. Always. The country was founded over tax protesting so you're just exercising your American right to protest taxes.
Have protested three times, and each was successful. That said only one was for a YoY increase. Show comps tailored to your goal and it might be a slam dunk.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20210504_113746.jpg
20210504_113737.jpg

My favorite dogwood came in nicely this year, if not a little late.

This pink one is from our last house. I can't really remember it blooming this fully before, kind of miss it. our old neighbors sent us this pic.

Resized_FB_IMG_1618678678557.jpeg

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1605847 View attachment 1605848

My favorite dogwood came in nicely this year, if not a little late.

This pink one is from our last house. I can't really remember it blooming this fully before, kind of miss it. our old neighbors sent us this pic.

View attachment 1605859
I love dogwoods. We're going to have to sacrifice one that's too close to the retaining wall we need to replace, but I hope to plant a whole bunch more around the property to atone for it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Protest the valuation. Always. The country was founded over tax protesting so you're just exercising your American right to protest taxes.

In Chicago, the trick is you go to one of the law firms owned by an alderman or state rep that specializes in property tax appeals...

brokencycle

Reaction score
In Chicago, the trick is you go to one of the law firms owned by an alderman or state rep that specializes in property tax appeals...

Isn't that the trick for everything in Chicago? Go to an alderman's business.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love dogwoods. We're going to have to sacrifice one that's too close to the retaining wall we need to replace, but I hope to plant a whole bunch more around the property to atone for it.
Nice, Dogwoods are great. I have one out in front of our house I am unsure what to do with. It's very tall yet has almost no lower limbs, so looks odd and you can hardly see the flowers except from a second story window. Probably will just leave it be.

I started tussling with one of our raised bed retaining walls last week. It was leaning pretty bad. Mercifully it's short in height, but damn long.

20210425_175413.jpg

Godspeed, and bend with the knees.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have protested three times, and each was successful. That said only one was for a YoY increase. Show comps tailored to your goal and it might be a slam dunk.
I just file an online protest give them my estimated value and make up some bullshit reason like "low oil prices is hurting the local economy" and usually get like a 5% to 10% reduction. Only time it failed is when I got too aggressive when I tried to do a 25% reduction. My protest was rejected and I was given the option of going before an arbitration board to plead my case. I accepted my loss that year and declined to protest further.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

550k with caves for @Omega Male 's wine

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just file an online protest give them my estimated value and make up some bullshit reason like "low oil prices is hurting the local economy" and usually get like a 5% to 10% reduction. Only time it failed is when I got too aggressive when I tried to do a 25% reduction. My protest was rejected and I was given the option of going before an arbitration board to plead my case. I accepted my loss that year and declined to protest further.
Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. It was more difficult here.

So when we bought here in MI, they reset the property taxes to "current market" value, which was not only much higher than the previous owner's assessed value (due to YoY increase caps for owners), but also way higher than both our purchase price and appraisal.

I sent them all the data and a nice letter, they just rubber stamped it as Rejected. I called the local gov. guy and he was sympathetic, but since the review board (concerned citizens brigade?) rejected it I had to file an appeal to the MI State tax tribunal, at which point he would be able agree to my valuation. All worked out in the end and was worth the effort, but what a pain.

I later learned two things, one is that you need to show up in person or likely rejected by the board and second that yeah there are local lawyers who somewhat specialize in tax appeals with a pretty good ROI.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads