• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
local prices can get down to about 60 for a half ounce (!) i'd say 400 for top shelf, and a head ripper as noted

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only other size I remember is a brick. By the mid 70s I owned a place where I could grow my own so the marketplace became moot after that.
Speaking of bricks, here are 2,837 of them.

6A8084A1-EBFA-4FE0-8BF7-8CEC459F66C0.jpeg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of bricks, here are 2,837 of them.

View attachment 1602970
You going to sell them or save them for another project. Used brick houses were pretty popular in the south at one time . I assume they still are. My cousin was building a house and hired a crew of free lance bricklayers. He came to the job one day and caught them putting together a Coca Cola sign jigsaw puzzle style. He wasn't happy about it

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which is?
Concrete slab graded towards the house. Which explains the moisture issues in the crawl space.

They just added the bricks on top of the slab, so there are some places where the bricks were above the inside floor.
You going to sell them or save them for another project. Used brick houses were pretty popular in the south at one time . I assume they still are. My cousin was building a house and hired a crew of free lance bricklayers. He came to the job one day and caught them putting together a Coca Cola sign jigsaw puzzle style. He wasn't happy about it
Not sure yet. But I’m pretty sure they’re not good for building since they’re totally solid and don’t have the holes for grouting.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Concrete slab graded towards the house. Which explains the moisture issues in the crawl space.

They just added the bricks on top of the slab, so there are some places where the bricks were above the inside floor.

Not sure yet. But I’m pretty sure they’re not good for building since they’re totally solid and don’t have the holes for grouting.
Nice.

Not on bricks, the solid bricks are very use ful for certain applications. My brick fireplace surround is completely made of those.

Plus, with 2800 of them, you could do a pretty fair sized house .

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be careful how you re-use that brick, @Van Veen:
This is a true story regarding salvaged building materials. Sadly I do not recall the specific details just now.

A large building from the early 1900's (think Grand Central Station, NYC, etc scale) was being demolished some years ago.
Among the very valuable materials being saved was a lot of beautiful marble.
A high-end hotel/restaurant had recently hired a firm to re-design the kitchens, restaurant, lobby, etc.
Said architect/designer got a "whiff" (unsuspecting, but just hold on) of this mother lode of ab-fab marble so fortuitously just available on the market, and of course spec'd it asap for the entire project.
The owner was very enthused; the architect/designer extremely pleased; etc.
Several months later, however, as the materials all settled in and the kitchen had been in full daily operation for awhile, staff began to notice a certain strange acridity permeating their newly luxe work-space. Working in such haute environs of course they instantly knew it wasn't the Doenjang or Vieux Boulogne or Surströmming....

It turned out that the re-used marble had, for the entirety of its prior century-plus post-quarry life, proudly clad the bathrooms of the original very public and heavily trafficked building...and that the daily steam and heat from the new kitchen had had a very liberating effect on the extremely abundant odoriferous particles still embedded within all that fine stone.

> A bright side possibility for you:
My cousins in Italy had a similar stock of discarded bricks to yours, and outside their summer house they built an amazing little hillside terrace comprising a brick pizza oven. It is beautiful, very pleasant, the oven is fantastic, and there are never any caustic and disagreeable strani odori di urina nell'aria....

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have an area at the back of the yard that looks to be a mix of various vines, weeds, and poison ivy. How have others dealt with this in the past? My current thought is layer up, rip it out, then spray Round Up. I just realized this yesterday so likely won't deal with it until the weekend when I have a game plan for it.

brokencycle

Reaction score
So I have an area at the back of the yard that looks to be a mix of various vines, weeds, and poison ivy. How have others dealt with this in the past? My current thought is layer up, rip it out, then spray Round Up. I just realized this yesterday so likely won't deal with it until the weekend when I have a game plan for it.

Pretend I didn't see it and move on with m life.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretend I didn't see it and move on with m life.
That would be my preferred approach, too. However, my wife has hawk eyes, our backyard is small, our dogs often run along the back fence line that abuts the woods where the poison ivy originates, and I have a rather rambunctious 5-year-old son.

Ours isn't nearly as bad as his, though. It just starts to go through slats in the wooden privacy fence. I cut it with pruning shears, put it in a bag, and throw it in the trash. Then I wait for it to happen again in a few months.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads