• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just be careful of the smoke...
It was more metaphorical. Probably just going to roundup the **** out of it, or pay someone to deal with it.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pssht they been doing this since huntington gardens and san simeon

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pssht they been doing this since huntington gardens and san simeon

Ya but rhe Huntington is outstanding. We wanted to get married there but...uh...don't roll that heavy once we checked the price.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just be careful of the smoke...
When I was a kid, a friend of the family was downwind when someone nearby was burning poison ivy. He inhaled enough of the smoke that he had breakout rashes on his sinuses and inside his throat. Pretty sure he had to be hospitalized for a few days. Freaked the **** out of me so much that for a few years afterwards, every time I smelled smoke, I'd immediately hold my breath and go inside.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Grew up in St Louis. Never had Ted Drewes.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ya but rhe Huntington is outstanding. We wanted to get married there but...uh...don't roll that heavy once we checked the price.

Getting married at botanical gardens is all the rage.

My brother got married at one around DC. They did a brunch wedding. Beer, chicken, and waffles at 1pm? Yes please.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, a friend of the family was downwind when someone nearby was burning poison ivy. He inhaled enough of the smoke that he had breakout rashes on his sinuses and inside his throat. Pretty sure he had to be hospitalized for a few days. Freaked the **** out of me so much that for a few years afterwards, every time I smelled smoke, I'd immediately hold my breath and go inside.

i was volunteering at a botanical garden and one of the full-time gardeners was like here's some pruning keep busy while i put on the astronaut suit to deal with this stand of poison oak.

well he comes back and is like hey i gotta go wash with this special soap see you next time

so next week i show up he's all blistered ad complaining he looks like an aids patient (smh) turns out the allergenic oils get in the dirt and when you rile the ******* plants it kicks up hella dust and sneaks in that suit watch out

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally some work is being done in my condo after it got flooded. They're bleaching the ceiling for water stains and just finishing up mudding in some damaged walls that got patched up.

I'm now scheduled to pick some flooring and I was initially thinking of herringbone and looking for people's thoughts if that's a good way to go. I don't want the room to look smaller so I won't be picking a small plank. How would you design this space?

This is what it looked like when I first moved in and that's the floor that's gone now:

1619196481368.png

1619196490750.png

Initially I wanted to remove the tiles and just go all laminate but the costs of removing concrete tile is $$$ so I'm stuck with a split setup.

Also I'm asking about LVT but they said the thickness would be different from the laminate that came off so I might be stuck with limited options. My furniture today are either MCM or Article Furniture-style.

I'm thinking light grey or beige.

Last edited by a moderator:

brokencycle

Reaction score
My two cents:

1. Consider just laying the floors on the diagonal. I think this would be the best choice for your space. Go from the corner of the kitchen to the corner of the base board where the chair is. Basically, so as you enter the room, you're looking across the width of the boards rather than down the length.

2. Consider chevron vs herringbone. I think herringbone will look too busy unless you get exactly the right size of boards (both length and width) to make it look cohesive. It might also look weird because of the L shape with the hall.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My two cents:

1. Consider just laying the floors on the diagonal. I think this would be the best choice for your space. Go from the corner of the kitchen to the corner of the base board where the chair is. Basically, so as you enter the room, you're looking across the width of the boards rather than down the length.

2. Consider chevron vs herringbone. I think herringbone will look too busy unless you get exactly the right size of boards (both length and width) to make it look cohesive. It might also look weird because of the L shape with the hall.
1. I really like this idea and think it would look awesome!
2. trying to picture this in my mind, do you mean just one large chevron pattern? as opposed to the smaller chevrons that make up herringbone?

brokencycle

Reaction score
1. I really like this idea and think it would look awesome!
2. trying to picture this in my mind, do you mean just one large chevron pattern? as opposed to the smaller chevrons that make up herringbone?

I mean this. Chevrons points alight like that on the right. Herringbone doesn't (the left).

I believe the one of the left will make a busy pattern even busier, and things like grain/color variation will matter even more.

1619199852363.png

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok I see the difference, I vote for option 1 then, since it appears to be a smaller space, the room would look too busy with option 2 and would draw your eye to it in a bad way

also I feel if option 1 is done properly it will make the room appear to be longer or bigger in a sense,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads