• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lot of talk about manscaping, bushes, hedges and multi heads going on here..... who is up for a Sty-Fo Meet up?

On the insulation front, not...great news. The after blower test was done today. Started at 4950 CFM. it is currently at 4550 cfm. So not even 10%

Talked with the guys doing the test, he let the machine run and we did a walk through of the house... holy **** the doors and windows don't really fit well. I am doing some repair work and hopefully he will pop back for another test. On the plus side, the wall insulation has made the house substantially quieter no doubt! so that is good

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ready to pour tomorrow!
08E669E6-A780-47C1-9274-C221F2D8F174.jpeg

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not being persnickety, but do you have a drain system set up on the right edge of the patio where it will meet the lawn? It looks like the natural grade of the lawn slopes toward your house and (rightly so) the patio will slope away from the house.

without proper drainage on the right edge, water is going to pool on that side.

Ask me how I know.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Water heater is giving up the ghost, and this is San Francisco, and of course it's in a difficult to reach part of the building, so that's a crapload of unexpected expense.

We wanted to look into getting an on demand heater but that isn't possible with our existing gas line, and upgrading that would be insanely expensive as it goes under a slab. Instead we're upgrading to some sort of reflow heater that is supposed to heat the water faster and prevent running out of hot water.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not being persnickety, but do you have a drain system set up on the right edge of the patio where it will meet the lawn? It looks like the natural grade of the lawn slopes toward your house and (rightly so) the patio will slope towards away from the house.

without proper drainage on the right edge, water is going to pool on that side.

Ask me how I know.

Good looking out. I do no have any drainage over there, but the grass is not as sloped as it looks in the picture. it's more sloped towards the house over by the fence, but it levels out in the main area of the yard. I will keep an eye on it!

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water heater is giving up the ghost, and this is San Francisco, and of course it's in a difficult to reach part of the building, so that's a crapload of unexpected expense.

We wanted to look into getting an on demand heater but that isn't possible with our existing gas line, and upgrading that would be insanely expensive as it goes under a slab. Instead we're upgrading to some sort of reflow heater that is supposed to heat the water faster and prevent running out of hot water.
Absolutely love tankless water heaters, but yeah, retrofitting can be a crap shoot. It cost us something like an extra 2k to put one in our previous house. Worth it, though.

The company that did the work was fantastic, if anyone in the Houston area wants a recommendation.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Absolutely love tankless water heaters, but yeah, retrofitting can be a crap shoot. It cost us something like an extra 2k to put one in our previous house. Worth it, though.

The company that did the work was fantastic, if anyone in the Houston area wants a recommendation.
And we've been teased for the last decade by the tankless heater our downstairs neighbors put in - that we now know isn't up to spec because their gas line isn't large enough either.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And we've been teased for the last decade by the tankless heater our downstairs neighbors put in - that we now know isn't up to spec because their gas line isn't large enough either.
Obviously there is a disconnect between spec and outcome. If thers has worked for 10 years.......just do it?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Obviously there is a disconnect between spec and outcome. If thers has worked for 10 years.......just do it?

That's an option, if we can talk the water heater guy into something he has recommended against, or find the guy who doesn't care and will just do whatever - and then trust that guy #2 doesn't **** up something serious.

Nah the regular water heater is costing us a small fortune, I suspect tankless would push us over 5 figures.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You live in Houston?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an option, if we can talk the water heater guy into something he has recommended against, or find the guy who doesn't care and will just do whatever - and then trust that guy #2 doesn't **** up something serious.

Nah the regular water heater is costing us a small fortune, I suspect tankless would push us over 5 figures.
If you want to do this yourself dm me

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
would be an interesting disco to follow.

we have a tiny *master* bath that we have to rearrange. our bathrooms '69' in plan and, actually, all of our house water heat comes from the tank in our bathroom, including the kitchen. because of that tank we can't get a tub into the bath, it's all extremely tightly fit lol.

so my FIL who was an electrician thought we might relocate the boiler to the attic so we could embiggen the door etc. we also have a second tank in the garage that goes unused, i think it serves the washer connection but we don't use that rn. maybe that is an option as well idk. a tankless unit would take up as much space in the bath afaik.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads