• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of straw. What kind of backyard operation do you run? We have a few chickens and it's like 4 bales and we're good ad infinitum.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of straw. What kind of backyard operation do you run? We have a few chickens and it's like 4 bales and we're good ad infinitum.

No more chickens. HOA does not allow them. Our house sits on an acre and there are quite a few flower beds but really it's just an expanse of pine straw....

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lawn guy at our new house texted me the normal "spring cleanup" he did for the previous owner. The cost is laughable and said it usually needs 220 bales of pine straw, a mere 50 more bales than someone else estimated.
If you weren't spending so much on lighting, this wouldn't be a big deal.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No more chickens. HOA does not allow them. Our house sits on an acre and there are quite a few flower beds but really it's just an expanse of pine straw....
I can group all of this with the lighting I am coming down to do....

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tree guy is coming next week taking out 6-8 trees, big haircuts for all of the remaining, cutting down dead stuff removing general scruff and crap (no stump grinding, just flush cut) $3k. I am thrilled at the price and quantity of crap coming down. Should be a very good week! Yard clean up the week after that

After that (mock me if you will) we are caught up on all of the **** that was just ignored by the... impecunious?...cheap?...will never know....previous owners.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My tree guy is coming next week taking out 6-8 trees, big haircuts for all of the remaining, cutting down dead stuff removing general scruff and crap (no stump grinding, just flush cut) $3k. I am thrilled at the price and quantity of crap coming down. Should be a very good week! Yard clean up the week after that

After that (mock me if you will) we are caught up on all of the **** that was just ignored by the... impecunious?...cheap?...will never know....previous owners.
That's basically where I am. Now that I got my BidenBux, we have one dead pine to get removed (assuming tornadoes don't take care of it for me tomorrow). That's the last of the "day 1" stuff I'm planning to contract out.

The next major project is replacing the retaining wall, which I'm going to try to DIY. Might regret that, but I can't afford $10-15k to contract it out. It's probably going to be $5k in material alone between block, gravel, drainage. That's not including demo/disposal of the current railroad tie wall (can't just rent a dumpster because of the creosote). I might have to rent a mini skid steer and/or mini excavator. That should be fun.

This weekend's project is removing and patching the wall registers we had moved.

$3k is a great price, though. $750 is the best quote I got to take down a single dead pine. I have another arborist coming to look at everything and (hopefully) come up with a longer term plan. There are a lot of overgrown "weed" trees potentially choking out desirable trees that need to be taken care of plus a lot of neglected pruning.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's basically where I am. Now that I got my BidenBux, we have one dead pine to get removed (assuming tornadoes don't take care of it for me tomorrow). That's the last of the "day 1" stuff I'm planning to contract out.

The next major project is replacing the retaining wall, which I'm going to try to DIY. Might regret that, but I can't afford $10-15k to contract it out. It's probably going to be $5k in material alone between block, gravel, drainage. That's not including demo/disposal of the current railroad tie wall (can't just rent a dumpster because of the creosote). I might have to rent a mini skid steer and/or mini excavator. That should be fun.

This weekend's project is removing and patching the wall registers we had moved.

$3k is a great price, though. $750 is the best quote I got to take down a single dead pine. I have another arborist coming to look at everything and (hopefully) come up with a longer term plan. There are a lot of overgrown "weed" trees potentially choking out desirable trees that need to be taken care of plus a lot of neglected pruning.
Because you are my friend, I am going to share a secret list of things I will never do:

1) Lindsay lohan
2) travel in space
3) build any sort of structural retaining wall

Somethings in life are worth paying for man, and that kind of work is very very high on the list! But good luck if you can do it.

That tree price seems high. The company I use is always great price, insured, bonded all the good stuff, and they are always do a great job. There are lots of tree companies uphee though as we are a fairly wooded state, so maybe that helps keep the price down. If they are charging 750, you had might as well do add on work because once they are there and set up it is easy and quick to cut everything else down and toss it into the chipper

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we took out trees n stumps last year, i did a few fruit trees myself and probably spent 400 on stump grinding and pruning but we get primo wood chips from our tree guy so the value is very very good.

Veenerino how tall is the retaining wall? our backyard slopes away so i've been thinking about masonry retaining planters level to the house footing but it would only be 18" or so with a flat fill.

if it were taller or retaining more than a couple feet i'd be considering my options carefully and convo with the city building folks to figure out the best course (especially if the original is failing)

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's about 3'. Not terrible, except for the fact that it's like 75-80' long.

I'm looking at a modern system like Techo Bloc or VersaLok. They seem pretty foolproof with the locking pins as long as you start with a level base.

The parts that scare me are demoing the existing wall and excavating for drainage.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's about 3'. Not terrible, except for the fact that it's like 75-80' long.

I'm looking at a modern system like Techo Bloc or VersaLok. They seem pretty foolproof with the locking pins as long as you start with a level base.

The parts that scare me are demoing the existing wall and excavating for drainage.
Its all about dat prep work!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I don't know how you guys do all this home improvement ****. If it's more the a 45 minute all in task I call someone in.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drainage needs to be strongly considered as you can really screw things up if you dont know what you are doing. Its a literal cascading issue.

We used techo block for ours... shockingly we picked one of the more moderately priced options because we liked the modern look. I think it was called G-force. One of the plusses if you DIY is the block is open inside and designed to be filled with gravel as you build. Makes it cheaper and better drainage.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what we used in slate gray:

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a pic of construction - you can see what i mean about the block design from the block in the foreground.

7FF8C671-5876-48AB-BCB4-728AA45377FA.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads