• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on what people like in new construction tract homes and all the remodel shows and the like, I think most people just have no imagination/any desire to be remotely different, and they are probably using some construction company's 'architect' that is basically just using some bog standard mcmansion layout. Then again, I'm sure there are plenty of terrible architects.

We are in the process of building a house with an architect on an original design. If we went with a spec house from a builder, we could build 30% bigger for literally half the cost.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We are in the process of building a house with an architect on an original design. If we went with a spec house from a builder, we could build 30% bigger for literally half the cost.
I wonder how much of this is to do with how prevalent engineered components are nowadays. It has to be cheaper to use standard trusses, for example, and lego them together to make those frankenstein mcmansion rooflines rather than custom engineering trusses or using traditional rafter framing.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So finally got together my tile order for the two bathrooms we are going be renovating. I first started looking at this company (B&W tile) back in 2016/2017 when planning the bathroom in our last house and the pricing was reasonable. I ended up going with Daltile for that because they had the color that I wanted most. Apparently in the interim B&W was bought by someone and they really jacked up the pricing and the tile is going to run almost 3x as much as I thought it would. I budgeted conservatively and there's not any real viable less expensive alternative for what I'm looking for so I'm going to make the order, but still, got me jibbity.

brokencycle

Reaction score

That's probably true. You have to pay for a lot more upfront work, and I would guess you're not using standard size windows and the like. What would be the comparison if you used builder grade materials?

The reality is people value more and choose easy and more square footage over cost or design or higher end materials normally.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Total insanity here right now. From a friend, and this is the low end stuff. Stories daily from friends about people knocking on doors offering 3-5 million for 2 million dollar homes.

94E0E219-5282-4E03-8BC2-33FF35B06697.jpeg

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend shopping in Pasadena right now. Lost on last 4 attempts. Latest one was listed at 895k, she bid 995k. They didn't even bother to counter her.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a friend shopping in Pasadena right now. Lost on last 4 attempts. Latest one was listed at 895k, she bid 995k. They didn't even bother to counter her.
Whats the thought in listing it so low? I get the 'entice more offers', but if you're off by over 20%, it just seems like the realtor isn't really good at their job...

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the thought in listing it so low? I get the 'entice more offers', but if you're off by over 20%, it just seems like the realtor isn't really good at their job...

Just driving traffic. Sub 1 million is Pasadena is insanely hot. 20-30 offers per house. These houses are like sub 1600 sq ft often on small lots, depending on neighborhood.

brokencycle

Reaction score

Chief economist at Zillow wrote in his book that listing high actually results in a higher offer. That was 5 years ago though.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, this just seems to me like comps didn't react fast enough and real estate agents weren't bullish enough in their valuations.

Those are huge discrepancies. If you're hoping for more than 733k and list at 550k, you're just asking to to a bunch of extra work fielding requests and offers from people who think your house is actually available for 550.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even taking rates into consideration, I feel like there are going to be a lot of recent buyers who end up house poor. The rule of thumb used to be 3x gross income to mortgage but even before COVID that was creeping into the 3.5x-4.0x range.

brokencycle

Reaction score
How is this not a bubble? It seems like the prices are being driven by a huge surge in demand by a subset of people while supply is at a historical low. On top of that, interest rates are at historical lows making monthly payments look cheap.

What happens when there is a normal supply again? Prices should fall as we become unconstrained by supply. Then those people buying at the inflated prices now will have lower comps and potentially be stuck (particularly as interest rates rise).

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even taking rates into consideration, I feel like there are going to be a lot of recent buyers who end up house poor. The rule of thumb used to be 3x gross income to mortgage but even before COVID that was creeping into the 3.5x-4.0x range.

100% i think there will be a lot of pain.

We bought in 2017 (right before they took away the SALT deduction... grumble grumble). If we tried to buy our house now our mortgage would be beyond responsible levels.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where will additional supply come from in pasadena? there are structural barriers to housing equilibrium

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where will supply come from in pasadena? there are structural barriers to housing equilibrium

Hits the nail on the head. It won't. Some areas are more bubbly than others. Since Covid, all my friends who thought it was cool to spend 4k a month on rent in downtown or the west side all of a sudden crave yard space on the suburbs. Their barrier to entry is down payment, not income.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads