• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys don't use gas tools? I like the econess of electric but I can't get my mind around having to charge my chainsaw or blower. I guess growing up off-grid leaves a mark.

Plus they jsut seem like they would be too weak.

I have literally no gas tools, and have never owned one (granted I didn't have a yard until five years ago).

You're kind of in one eco-system or the other. With less than a half-acre property, it's pretty easy to deal with charging batteries or using extension cords instead of keeping gas around and dealing with maintenance.

My dad runs a professional landscaping company, and he's 100% that they'll be moving to all electric tools before he retires, which isn't too far from now. The electric tools are just getting better so fast. Leaf blowers and riding lawn mowers are the only real holdouts.

brokencycle

Reaction score
You guys don't use gas tools? I like the econess of electric but I can't get my mind around having to charge my chainsaw or blower. I guess growing up off-grid leaves a mark.

I don't know about a chain saw, but I have switched to electric on blowers. They're good enough, and there is no vibrations and way less noise.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Electric Chainsaw is very effective albeit a very small one. Have a corded electric snowblower that in hindsight, would not buy again. cord is in the way all the time, chokes in deep snow.

Battery string trimmer is on it, same with a handheld blower for the walkways.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Electric Chainsaw is very effective albeit a very small one. Have a corded electric snowblower that in hindsight, would not buy again. cord is in the way all the time, chokes in deep snow.

Battery string trimmer is on it, same with a handheld blower for the walkways.

interesting. I have lots of 40v ryobi stuff that works pretty well. Went corded for chainsaw though and it’s pretty legit. Lawn tractor is still gas, and I’ve been trying to figure out if I should get a snow plow for it or a battery powered snow blower..

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Plug in electric lawnmower has been great. I intentionally bought the smallest/cheapest one because I have a fairly small yard, but it's worked just fine. Zero maintenance aside from occasional blade sharpening, no vibration, and pleasantly quiet. I'm never going back to gas powered yard equipment.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting. I have lots of 40v ryobi stuff that works pretty well. Went corded for chainsaw though and it’s pretty legit. Lawn tractor is still gas, and I’ve been trying to figure out if I should get a snow plow for it or a battery powered snow blower..
Well I'll say this, snowblower is lightweight, takes up very little space, and was inexpensive. Better than no snow blower but cord management kills it.

80V (or maybe higher by now) cordless is probably the best way to go if relatively small area and do not want to deal with small engine maintenance.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it really depends on the kind of work you do. I use my weed eater with a blade a lot for bushes and blackberries, I feel like batteries would be underpowered. Mostly though I guess I'm cheap and a creature of habit. I don't want to invest in something I don't know only to be disappointed. Also charging seems like an issue if your working all day or away from the house.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I laid down some pre-m this morning since it's supposed to rain this afternoon. Also found the grass seed previous homeowner used in the shed. They used that contractor blend with 50% annual ryegrass which is probably why my lawn is still nice and green. Definitely going to have to overseed in the fall.

I hate lawn maintenance, but if I have one, I want it to look good.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My landscapers favor gas tools while my handymen prefer cordless electric. I like to sign the checks with a Rollerball.

This except he just bills me through Quick Books online.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads