• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn ice dams.

The water is just flowing into my garage at a pretty good clip. Oh well, it could have been worse. At least it's not leaking in the interior of the house. Now to call USAA...

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn ice dams.

The water is just flowing into my garage at a pretty good clip. Oh well, it could have been worse. At least it's not leaking in the interior of the house. Now to call USAA...
I have had those too this year, luckily no leaks except a small place in my garage as well. It is the weird freeze/thaw pattern in Michigan this year!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had those too this year, luckily no leaks except a small place in my garage as well. It is the weird freeze/thaw pattern in Michigan this year!

I've had them the past few years (but this is the first time it leaked), always along the same section of the roof: along the north side of the house where an uninsulated garage meets a family room (that was an addition at some point) with high ceilings. Crawling around in the attic, I suspect upgrading and correcting the insulation up there would help out a lot. I saw your quote for insulation a page or two pack... hopefully I can come in a lot lower than that.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had them the past few years (but this is the first time it leaked), always along the same section of the roof: along the north side of the house where an uninsulated garage meets a family room (that was an addition at some point) with high ceilings. Crawling around in the attic, I suspect upgrading and correcting the insulation up there would help out a lot. I saw your quote for insulation a page or two pack... hopefully I can come in a lot lower than that.
Dependig on what you need done I am sure you can! That was for the whole house and walls. My two attics would have been 5900. I have attached my quite sheet just so you know.

Oh, also, you will get a rebate from consumers as well

Essentially, if we would have done everything vs each piece separately, it was about 6 grand less to group things I to one project.

Basement was the rimjoist using closed cell
Garage walls in my house are exposed so they are straying fire rated closed cell foam 3" thick or so

I have two attics, I am doing the one over the garage as well. That has no insulation at all so far.

Anyway, hope this helps give an idea.

I would also recommend this company, I feel very happy with the process and product
16140088484694414655135763336634.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ Good to know how much your quote covers.

Yeah, we would just be doing the attic, probably with spray in. We've got a long, sprawling ranch (about 3,000 square feet) and the attic is like maze crawling through around up there. I always worry that companies would charge us a premium once they see what they've got to crawl through to get from one end to the other (though I know they're professionals and have probably seen all sorts of things).

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Good to know how much your quote covers.

Yeah, we would just be doing the attic, probably with spray in. We've got a long, sprawling ranch (about 3,000 square feet) and the attic is like maze crawling through around up there. I always worry that companies would charge us a premium once they see what they've got to crawl through to get from one end to the other (though I know they're professionals and have probably seen all sorts of things).
Not sure they will spray the entire ceiling is access is an issue, might tmdo cellulose. Totally worth reaching out out though, they are good guys. What made us go with them was the green wall I jection foam

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Marc Voorhees - I made a note of the company (I think I've actually seen their trucks around) and will definitely check them out. First step though is to get somebody out to give me a quote on replacing some drywall in my garage. I imagine the cost will probably be right around the point that it's not even worth finishing filing the claim with my insurance company.

Oh well... this will likely be the motivation I've wanted to remove the crappy, too narrow shelving unit on one of the walls in my garage for a few years in order to replace it with something more useful and add a couple outlets on that wall. It looks like I've finally run out of excuses.

Reactions: otc

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went way down the SketchUp rabbit hole today. Modeled out my main living space.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fascinating, I was taking drone shots of ice damming on our roof just yesterday and googled it for the first time. No leaks but had some crazy icicles formed this year. I might have to join the extra insulation club, need to make a trip into the attic and see if any small leaks.

Oh yeah, and got the drone stuck in a tree taking the last picture.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have literally never heard of ice dams before now. And now I've just read an article from the University of Minnesota Extension about ice dams. This information is totally useless to me.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have literally never heard of ice dams before now. And now I've just read an article from the University of Minnesota Extension about ice dams. This information is totally useless to me.
You say that now, but just wait- one frigid winter, when temperatures in Charleston are dipping down all the way into the 40s, this knowledge will come in handy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads