• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remade my Facebook specifically to use Marketplace. I just really dislike what Facebook/Instagram have become--just no longer feels like interacting with friends. So much ******* clickbait and sponsored content.

Facebook is still friends and interest groups, but mostly the latter because so many friends stopped using it. But for things like conditions at the local MTB trails or finding something out about nearby climbing spots, it is the #1 place to go.

Instagram...I don't even know. I only follow a handful of accounts that aren't actual friends, but it seems like between the inline ads and the heavy posting by the non-friend accounts, all I see are memes and sponsored content. A lot of friends seem to only use Stories now, which means the feed is even more sparse...and that's if they post at all. Many are clearly scrolling on Instagram a lot (judging from their likes) but never actually post anything.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, Facebook groups can have decent information, such as you mentioned.

But I dislike how social media has essentially pulled traffic away from forums. Although here on SF we still have an active base, pretty much every other forum I've used heavily are all pretty much dead. And also, I'm sure the median SF age has risen.

It's all drifted to social media, but social media is horrible for learning a technique, gaining industry news or other more nuanced aspects of a hobby/interest. It doesn't foster a discussion, and social media isn't really searchable in the way searching through a forum is.

/rant

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Piobaire you might get your wish. Landlady sent us a lengthy response. We're having an attorney respond to it.

It started off with this:

"You have left me with a void in the income with which I count on, as a widow, to support myself and do so, with no sense of guilt or obligation. I am surprised at your attitude but more shocked at your lack of sense of responsibility."

SHE OWNS A $900,000 BEACH HOUSE
I will send you my standard retainer agreement, with a StyFo premium.
Or so he can hire a hitman on Craigslist.
Why nobody told me you can get a hit man on Craigs list
As someone who used to practice criminal defense and has direct experience with this specific issue, here's a hint: It's never a real hitman. It's always an undercover cop or an informant.

You're welcome.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sure, Facebook groups can have decent information, such as you mentioned.

But I dislike how social media has essentially pulled traffic away from forums. Although here on SF we still have an active base, pretty much every other forum I've used heavily are all pretty much dead. And also, I'm sure the median SF age has risen.

It's all drifted to social media, but social media is horrible for learning a technique, gaining industry news or other more nuanced aspects of a hobby/interest. It doesn't foster a discussion, and social media isn't really searchable in the way searching through a forum is.

/rant
Definitely true, although Facebook groups are searchable now, which I have found helpful.

And I'm not sure where reddit falls in social media vs forum spectrum, but I find subreddits for things useful.

The thing about Facebook for some of these local groups is that the is no barrier to entry... You just join a group and it starts showing in your feed. You don't have to make an account and then remember to keep checking some tiny forum with only a couple daily posts.

Also, the real name/profile thing really does keep down the amount of all out flame wars that you used to get on those boards. Things are different when you have to put your name down and you are talking with people you might actually run into.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay fine I'll pay you 15 bucks an hour.

15 bucks per hour, little man, put that **** in my hand. If that money doesn’t show then you owe me owe me owe!

E79E3456-ECD4-4A2F-96D8-AD070DC31C29.jpeg

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My jungle love!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Also, the real name/profile thing really does keep down the amount of all out flame wars that you used to get on those boards. Things are different when you have to put your name down and you are talking with people you might actually run into.
Even so any large FB group requires active moderation. Someone is always acting like an asshole or trying to rip someone else off.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who used to practice criminal defense and has direct experience with this specific issue, here's a hint: It's never a real hitman. It's always an undercover cop or an informant.

You're welcome.

So... Is your official legal position that the...fixer... I hired isn't real? Think I can get a refund? Can I retain you to sue him to return my $75 and bootleg copy of Star Wars Christmas Special?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Piobaire you might get your wish. Landlady sent us a lengthy response. We're having an attorney respond to it.

It started off with this:

"You have left me with a void in the income with which I count on, as a widow, to support myself and do so, with no sense of guilt or obligation. I am surprised at your attitude but more shocked at your lack of sense of responsibility."

SHE OWNS A $900,000 BEACH HOUSE
So she says you owe it to her to resign a new lease? I cannot see any way in which her letter works.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So she says you owe it to her to resign a new lease? I cannot see any way in which her letter works.
She's just trying to guilt us into paying. She likes to lecture us.

She also says she had an attorney draft the lease. If she did, she should get her money back. This is the language about terminating the lease:

"The right of either party to terminate said tenancy by sixty (60) days written notice, such notice to be dated not later than the first day of the month in which this lease is to be terminated and postmarked or delivered in person( no electronic notification) on or before that date, and such termination to be effective at the end of a 12 month rental period or at such date as is agreed in writing by the Lessor."

This is word salad and contradicts itself. Do I have to terminate the tenancy with sixty days notice, or by notice dated not later than the first of the month in which the lease is to be terminated?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hm. here's what i read:

shall have an effective termination date on the first of the month, with 60 days notice, and delivered physically.

and, that the termination shall coincide with a year tenancy (unless negotiated otherwise)

but i'm no small claims law talker

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds very restrictive. You guys don’t have laws that prohibit these kinds of rental contracts? A months notice is the most you’ll get here, and for sure not on round years.

that contract would be laughed out of court, with the very real possibility that she would be fined for predatory practices as a parting gift.

By the way, love ‘the Van Veen property saga ’ .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads