• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This does indeed seem like a slew of incredibly unwise choices.

Having a live in while you both work from home seems indulgent at what you seem to believe they are making.

We could afford one and my wife and I currently both have offices at home that could be given up for one, but she is working from home and I am only going to the office in afternoons, and not even every day. Would be massively indulgent to hire help.

1611547211402.png

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With only one kid, an au pair would make no sense. I know people do it, but it does seem like they might be better served by having a part time nanny or dropoff childcare.

We’re actually getting an au pair (from Argentina) soon, hopefully. But we have three kids and this option is far cheaper. We have an extra bedroom and plenty of space.

The hang up right now is that she can’t get an emassy appointment until mid-March, but hopefully things will go smooth after that.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard of some women in my wealthy neighborhood who refuse to hire an unattractive au pair. They seem to think the au pair's looks reflect on them.

There are only three acceptable options for live-in child care:
1) A hot, young au pair
2) An old, preferably British, marm
3) Robin Williams dressed as an old, preferably British, marm.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do au pairs have wait lists? Daycares in Nashville sometimes have a 12-18 month wait list unless you get in when a new one opens or somehow time when you ask about vacancies. Similar to daycares, the private schools even have waitlists.

I could comment on Boomers wanting their SS and Medicare while not wanting to help families but that will likely get CE'd. The world makes a lot more sense once you realize everyone is self-interested.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do au pairs have wait lists? Daycares in Nashville sometimes have a 12-18 month wait list unless you get in when a new one opens or somehow time when you ask about vacancies. Similar to daycares, the private schools even have waitlists.

I could comment on Boomers wanting their SS and Medicare while not wanting to help families but that will likely get CE'd. The world makes a lot more sense once you realize everyone is self-interested.
Some are much more self-interested than others, though. It's not universally pathological.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard of some women in my wealthy neighborhood who refuse to hire an unattractive au pair. They seem to think the au pair's looks reflect on them.
The hottest nanny I ever saw worked for Petr Cech, the (then) Chelsea goalkeeper. Our kids were at the same school for three years and we lived around the corner from their training ground in Stoke D'Abernon. Just glancing at her left burns on your retinas. His Mrs. wasn't exactly ugly either.

Incidentally, he was the subject of one of the all-time great tabloid headlines when he signed a fat new contract at the club.

"Big check for big Czech Cech."

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In normal times, getting an au pair is pretty straightforward. You look at profiles meet them through Zoom, and then talk to see if your personalities and parenting style is compatible. From there, it normally takes a month or so to jump through all the hoops.

We’ve had one selected since mid-December, but Visas have been frozen other than au pairs coming over for essential workers.

This should end at the end of the month.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on the 48 inch LG CX for our bedroom. Hung it this weekend along with repurposed sonos playbar. Due to space contraints i couldnt make the 55 inch work, which is too bad considering with the sales the 55 is cheaper than the 48.

i did some digging as to why. Turns out when they cut the panels, the 48 yields more waste than the others. Supposedly the 2021 models will use a different manufacturing process to correct this but I didnt want to wait until the summer and there is something nice about having the same model TV in different sizes from a user perspective.

i dont plan on buying another TV for a decade.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the crux of the matter, isn't it.
“Selfish people also tend to have victim mindsets. Their actions plant seeds of loneliness; then they cry upon the blooming.”

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Painted a bit today... Just needed to see some more color.

I had all of the ceilings throughout the whole house painted white before we moved in.. best money I have spent this entire ******* project.

Color is sharkskin from benjamin moore
Trim is bennington gray
PXL_20210126_015520739.MP.jpg
PXL_20210126_015516336.jpg

brokencycle

Reaction score
I don't think I love the grey tell if I'm honest. I'd have to see more pictures probably with more natural light on the wall color. I think that was on our list of curtains, but we ended up going lighter.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I love the grey tell if I'm honest. I'd have to see more pictures probably with more natural light on the wall color. I think that was on our list of curtains, but we ended up going lighter.
It isn't as gray as the name implies. It is pretty nice all in all. It is the same combination we had wlat our other house, we really liked it. Lots of our colors are the same from one house to the other. Powder room is the exception so far, that is in "gray cashmere" which is my favorite gray and looks awesome with everything we have done in there. Will take pictures of that tomorrow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads